Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #661
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I didn’t declare a performative emergency
It seems like your emergency is that the city hasn't completely revolutionized society within 6 months of declaring their emergency.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #662
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we can agree that:
1. A municipal government insisting that we look at literally everything through the lens of a climate emergency is unnecessary; and,
2. At least some City employees are going to need parking passes or accommodations to effectively perform their duties and that the reasonable person wouldn't see that as unreasonable whether in a climate emergency or not.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #663
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It seems like your emergency is that the city hasn't completely revolutionized society within 6 months of declaring their emergency.
This is the problem with these climate emergency declarations. Their confrontational in nature. We just went through 2014-2021 seeing many in O&G lose their jobs, and the resulting suicides, family violence, drug addiction, that comes with that. Add to it a Federal government that has been proven to have done nothing to help transition workers, yet kneecap industry and you can see how people are full on FU to these things.

Lastly, many who participate in the climate emergency frenzy are often ones against measured transition. You saw that with the one things the Liberals did right, buy Trans Mountain and say profits would fund green technology research. It was soundly rejected from environmentalists.

The language needs to be measured along with the actions. The mayor was setting herself up with this declaration especially in this city. Again despite going reasonably quiet lately she has a history of being a grand stander. So I am not feeling least bit sorry for what she stirred up.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #664
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only people that have an issue with the 'climate emergency' are the people that didn't even take the time to read what it actually means. They saw the headline, and got mad.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #665
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The only people that have an issue with the 'climate emergency' are the people that didn't even take the time to read what it actually means. They saw the headline, and got mad.
Lol. So to clarify. The city declares a climate emergency and the expectation from the average citizen is to ignore the plain language usage of the words and dig into the city's policy? What kind of newspeak garbage is this. Gondek et al declared a climate emergency because of politics and for the sensationalism, they can live with the consequences.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #666
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Lol. So to clarify. The city declares a climate emergency and the expectation from the average citizen is to ignore the plain language usage of the words and dig into the city's policy? What kind of newspeak garbage is this. Gondek et al declared a climate emergency because of politics and for the sensationalism, they can live with the consequences.
'Dig into policy'

Or, you know, literally clicking on the headline and reading anything past that

Sorry I'll just advance this conversation 'It doesn't mean anything!' then wtf are you mad about
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #667
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sad state we're in when the electorate expects to be succinctly informed via headlines and headlines only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #668
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could have called it a climate mitigation strategy, but it’s an emergency.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #669
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

You declare the emergency so you can go to the province and feds and ask for funding to implement the strategy.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:42 AM   #670
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Pretty sad state we're in when the electorate expects to be succinctly informed via headlines and headlines only.
Pretty sad when headlines are purposely alarmist and unnessecary.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #671
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Pretty sad when headlines are purposely alarmist and unnessecary.
Maybe the 40+ countries and 1000+ cities and towns that have declared one can consult you next time. Perhaps declaring a “climate ok but could be better, as long as nobody is upset we should truck a long and try out best” would make you feel more comfortable.

Or maybe we can just put all the details into the headline so you, corporatejay, and OldDutch don’t have such a hard time when you don’t read past it. The world is open to suggestions to make you guys happy. Have at ‘er.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #672
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have any of you that are complaining actually read the climate plan anyway? It's very expensive and very ambitious, and I'd expect it to be trimmed a lot before much materializes when the Feds and Province limit their contributions, but there is still a lot of very good stuff in there.

Or does the 'muh taxes' crowd prefer I continue to perform my duties in an $70k F-350 burning $100 of diesel a night when a $60k EV will do the job. Or is that irrelevant, as long as we pay for parking
Old 07-02-2022, 02:49 PM   #673
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have any of you that are complaining actually read the climate plan anyway? It's very expensive and very ambitious, and I'd expect it to be trimmed a lot before much materializes when the Feds and Province limit their contributions, but there is still a lot of very good stuff in there.

Or does the 'muh taxes' crowd prefer I continue to perform my duties in an $70k F-350 burning $100 of diesel a night when a $60k EV will do the job. Or is that irrelevant, as long as we pay for parking
Personally if a 60k EV will do the job then I think a 35k Camry would almost certainly be the best choice.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #674
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Personally if a 60k EV will do the job then I think a 35k Camry would almost certainly be the best choice.
Not enough payload or room
Old 07-02-2022, 04:25 PM   #675
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is that a real choice though? Is there an EV that’s comparable to the F150 for $10k less? I’m not asking to be difficult, I’m genuinely curious because it seems like every hybrid/EV option is far more expensive.

I’ve read the climate plan. It’s obviously got to be pared down because it’s insane in the pricing. I’m not convinced that the plan itself rectifies what it considers as impacts to Calgarians though. A lot of the issues there are far outside the scope of a city, or a city council.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #676
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is that a real choice though? Is there an EV that’s comparable to the F150 for $10k less? I’m not asking to be difficult, I’m genuinely curious because it seems like every hybrid/EV option is far more expensive.
The Ford at just over 60, the Chev a bit under 60
Old 07-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #677
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Ford at just over 60, the Chev a bit under 60
Right but according to Google an F150 (ICE) has an MSRP of $40k, compared to the EV at ~$68k. I’m sure a fleet would do better, but it’s almost 75% more money?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:47 PM   #678
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right but according to Google an F150 (ICE) has an MSRP of $40k, compared to the EV at ~$68k. I’m sure a fleet would do better, but it’s almost 75% more money?
The adoption of public vehicles using batteries should be pure lifecycle calcs. If Maintenance and op costs break even over the life of the vehicle do it. If not wait a few years. If uncertain start build a fleet of reasonable size to evaluate real costs
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #679
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If uncertain start build a fleet of reasonable size to evaluate real costs
As is laid out in the climate strategy
Old 07-03-2022, 08:48 AM   #680
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
F350

As is laid out in the climate strategy
Yeah, but this should be completely independent from the politics of the climate strategy. The adoption of EVs at the correct time doesn’t need a 50 year policy to do.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote