Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #6821
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I'll repeat. Nothing has changed. The exact same situation exists prior to Gaudreau walking and the Tkachuk trade. We still have two high value assets that need extensions and both are crucial to the long term success of the organization. Failure to get them signed in short order means they should be moved prior to the start of the season and not allow this to drag out. The team CANNOT allow this to stretch out to the trade deadline where the team is then forced to sit on these assets in hope of a playoff run, then lose them for nothing as they go to free agency. This needs to be resolved prior to the start of training camp and keep the team focused.

Some are going to suggest that this can stretch out to the trade deadline, but that is not wise. The likelihood of Treliving pulling the trigger on a deal if the Flames are remotely close to earning a playoff berth is pretty small. He'll not do what is needed but instead roll the dice for a hope of a playoff run. This is not what this team needs. It needs some stability and understanding of where it is headed, both for the team and the fans. Getting the two guys inked or moved for assets is an imperative. The longer this plays out, the worse it will be for the team. The closer we get to the deadline the worse the return will be. 2023 firsts appear to be off the table, so you're looking at 2024 or 2025 firsts. You're more likely to get already drafted prospects but those available are not the ones that are the highest of quality. This needs to get done while teams believe they have time and space to make changes, especially when it comes to young players in the system.
We heard you the first time.
NOISIA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NOISIA For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #6822
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahans money goes to Hub. Lucic to Weeger, if it was only that simple.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #6823
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To be fair I would personally be leery of signing either of the new arrivals long term until I seen them throw on the flaming C for a few months. I think we are in a tough situation here.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #6824
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Listen, there's a quote I remember seeing from Tom Brady that goes to illustrate sports in a very very simple format and it was "Well did you (we) win or not? That's all that matters in this game"

Lot's of people look at Tre's record as a GM and his big trades and it's always the same thing. "We skinned that team on their assets" "We won that trade by a mile" there's always an element where we are thinking we are absolutely killing in out there when in reality Tre's record as a GM is very poor. Hell, a huge part of the little success he had was a result of Feaster's drafting and development of key players.

Bottom line is that Tre hasn't really done anything in Calgary success wise and this should be his final year baring a very deep playoff run
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:37 AM   #6825
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
To be fair I would personally be leery of signing either of the new arrivals long term until I seen them throw on the flaming C for a few months. I think we are in a tough situation here.
I see your point, gotta gamble sometimes though. Trev killed it with the Lindholm/Hanifin contracts.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #6826
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Colour me skeptical, but I don’t see a guy who just played his entire career in Florida, who by all accounts wanted to stay there, agreeing to finishing his career in the great white north when he is a year away from writing his own ticket.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:40 AM   #6827
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Listen, there's a quote I remember seeing from Tom Brady that goes to illustrate sports in a very very simple format and it was "Well did you (we) win or not? That's all that matters in this game"

Lot's of people look at Tre's record as a GM and his big trades and it's always the same thing. "We skinned that team on their assets" "We won that trade by a mile" there's always an element where we are thinking we are absolutely killing in out there when in reality Tre's record as a GM is very poor. Hell, a huge part of the little success he had was a result of Feaster's drafting and development of key players.

Bottom line is that Tre hasn't really done anything in Calgary success wise and this should be his final year baring a very deep playoff run
Disagree. Who are you going to replace him with? You could say the same thing about 20 other GM’s. They don’t just grow in trees.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #6828
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

We just swapped first line forwards and got a 2/3 dman, a first and a solid prospect.

No one in the hockey world expected a return like that.
We could still suck this year, but it’s a fleece at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to NOISIA For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #6829
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Colour me skeptical, but I don’t see a guy who just played his entire career in Florida, who by all accounts wanted to stay there, agreeing to finishing his career in the great white north when he is a year away from writing his own ticket.
He was drafted by Florida & is Canadian, it's not like he chose to play there for reasons like Gaudreau or Tkachuk.

I understand we're all still a little shook from the actions of our superstars Americans, but it's not like no player will ever sign in Canada again, let's calm things down a little.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #6830
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Trains in Calgary. Apparently loves the city. Brad did his homework.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #6831
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have any Tre haters ever offered any suitable GM replacement options?
Or is it just trendy to #### on your GM these days?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #6832
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post

I don't know. Are you capable of an actual discussion, or are you here simply to talk down to everyone with a differing opinion?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #6833
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
No I don’t spend my time scouting or interviewing potential GMs.

Hopefully the Flames would have a better way to recruit and vet potential candidates then looking at the Flames message board and are more qualified to find a replacement GM then me

If not it might explain the franchises lack of success in the past 30 years
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:42 PM   #6834
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre would instantly be hired by a better market and dominate the league

Also it's obviously not happening this season so save your breath

"They won't sign"
Will turn into
"Too much money"

If they sign...we all know it. Flames could be skating around with the cup and some of you will be saying "if we rebuilt we could have won two cups"

Last edited by dino7c; 07-24-2022 at 10:03 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #6835
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=dino7c;8383640]Tre would instantly be hired by a better market and dominant the league

"They won't sign"
Will turn into
"Too much money"

If they sign...we all know it. Flames could be skating around with the cup and some of you will be saying "if we rebuilt we could have won two cups"[/QUOTE]

Don't you think this is INCREDIBLY trivializing the situation? I can't speak for everyone, but it seems like to me that most people who are questioning Treliving right now are doing so because this team hasn't had any playoff success.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:02 PM   #6836
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Calgary4LIfe;8383647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Tre would instantly be hired by a better market and dominant the league

"They won't sign"
Will turn into
"Too much money"

If they sign...we all know it. Flames could be skating around with the cup and some of you will be saying "if we rebuilt we could have won two cups"[/QUOTE]

Don't you think this is INCREDIBLY trivializing the situation? I can't speak for everyone, but it seems like to me that most people who are questioning Treliving right now are doing so because this team hasn't had any playoff success.
I think most people who are criticizing are doing so because they are tank/asset management fans.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #6837
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just understand this is a tough market and a 32 team league...he has been here 8 years, started with a bottom feeder.

They have been a top 5 regular season team twice and a top 8 playoff team twice. Win X amount of rounds or you're fired is a terrible way to run a hockey team...there are just so many factors.

Like I said he would be hired elsewhere immediately, and we would get a new GM with the same geography.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:47 PM   #6838
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=GioforPM;8384254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I think most people who are criticizing are doing so because they are tank/asset management fans.
I am not a tank or asset management fan. I am a fan of winning the cup, or at least going on a run. Flames have never been on a playoff run under Treliving. That's where I am at. This team has been neither terrible, nor great in terms of playoff success. I don't care where the Flames rank on prospect pool lists in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I just understand this is a tough market and a 32 team league...he has been here 8 years, started with a bottom feeder.

They have been a top 5 regular season team twice and a top 8 playoff team twice. Win X amount of rounds or you're fired is a terrible way to run a hockey team...there are just so many factors.

Like I said he would be hired elsewhere immediately, and we would get a new GM with the same geography.

Hold on.

You accused people of complaining: "If we rebuilt, we would have won two cups".

That's an exaggeration. You are implying that people are complaining just because they are complainers, and will find any reason to complain, thereby making any of their arguments null and void.

That's not how it works. You can't just shout down your opinion.

I do get that having 2 "Top 5" seasons was fun. Sure. Those are accomplishments and definitely a measure of success.

That's where it stops for me, however. Making the playoffs in a league where (up until Seattle joined) more than half the teams make the playoffs isn't some great accomplishment. Neither is making it outside of the 1st round twice in 8 years. That actually sounds extremely pedestrian, no?

I guess we just have to agree to disagree on what success is. Treliving has had 8 years, and you are right - he isn't a bad GM. I don't think he is a fantastic GM either. I am sure he would find a job again if fired - though I would be surprised if a top team nabbed him right away. I do think that he has done enough of a decent job to patiently wait for the right opportunity to come along again and be able to pass up poor fits. Some GMs (like Feaster) would have to grab anything that came along as they may not get another shot.

Everyone gets fired eventually. Treliving is the 6th longest tenured GM in the league right now. At some point you have to start questioning if he can build a winner or not, tough market and all.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:56 PM   #6839
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Calgary4LIfe;8384282][QUOTE=GioforPM;8384254]

I am not a tank or asset management fan. I am a fan of winning the cup, or at least going on a run. Flames have never been on a playoff run under Treliving. That's where I am at. This team has been neither terrible, nor great in terms of playoff success. I don't care where the Flames rank on prospect pool lists in the slightest.

“Most people”
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:59 PM   #6840
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then he gets traded. That's the beauty of the deal. I think everyone is on the same page though. Sign or trade lol.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote