Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2022, 08:02 AM   #5881
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't know, two wins in their last 10 may have something to do with the negativity. Yes some people are far too pessimistic in constantly predicting failure but looking at the overall season record and ignoring the trend line isn't all that helpful either.

This isn't how you want to be playing in the second chunk of 20 games.
The schedule hasn't helped. Since Dec. 11 they have played 6 games and three of them were on the road against the three best teams in the league. If the Flames were playing a normal schedule they would have moved on from those losses but they have played one game since and it was an ugly loss to a one of the worst teams in the league. There is a good chance they may lose tonight against what's been the best team in the league this season so the reality is that we are looking at a Saturday night date between two of the worst teams in the NHL since December. It's never a good thing to be as desperate as the Oilers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #5882
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ That is exactly it. The Flames got their bottoms handed to them in that 3 game road trip, and then lose the one game in 11 days, meanwhile CP is stewing in it.

And tonight is Florida, best team in the league, on fire, and that is averaging (!) 6 goals per game over their past 9 games. Playing against a cold and rusty team. It may get worse before it gets better

Certainly not ordinary circumstances
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #5883
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ That is exactly it. The Flames got their bottoms handed to them in that 3 game road trip, and then lose the one game in 11 days, meanwhile CP is stewing in it.

And tonight is Florida, best team in the league, on fire, and that is averaging (!) 6 goals per game over their past 9 games. Playing against a cold and rusty team. It may get worse before it gets better

Florida on the road is a different team though. They still score a lot but they also give up a ton. I expect to see a high scoring game tonight.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #5884
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Florida on the road is a different team though. They still score a lot but they also give up a ton. I expect to see a high scoring game tonight.
I hope not. I don't think a high scoring game favors the Flames at all. Markstrom needs to be better as does team defense.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #5885
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think this season has gone better than most expected, certainly me.

I had them in the playoffs with Sutter and a bounce back season, but I didn't think we'd see them run the table like they did to start the season.

Now is this a correction to where I felt they would be? Possibly.

Such an interesting season with giving the core a go with Sutter and the contract issues hanging over everything. Honestly wish they'd either get back to the top of the conference or slide to make decision making easier to handle.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #5886
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I hope not. I don't think a high scoring game favors the Flames at all. Markstrom needs to be better as does team defense.

The Flames are going to get their chances, they need to finish them off this time. I don't think you can shut the Panthers down, they are the highest scoring offense in the league and on fire right now.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #5887
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The circumstances are what they are. The Ottawa game was a disappointment, playing an ice cold team when the Flames team should have been highly motivated. The Sens had all the excuses for that game too.

I imagine CP and Flames fans in general will continue to be negative until the team starts playing better.

Saturday shaping up to be salvation or Armageddon around here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #5888
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Needs to be high scoring by the Flames but not the Panthers.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #5889
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you deliberately ignoring the four game losing streak before the break?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #5890
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think this season has gone better than most expected, certainly me.

I had them in the playoffs with Sutter and a bounce back season, but I didn't think we'd see them run the table like they did to start the season.

Now is this a correction to where I felt they would be? Possibly.

Such an interesting season with giving the core a go with Sutter and the contract issues hanging over everything. Honestly wish they'd either get back to the top of the conference or slide to make decision making easier to handle.
If before the season you would have told me the Flames would be 17-11-6 after 34 games I would have happily taken that. The concern now with the slump is that we have to hope that start wasn't a mirage. I don't think this type of schedule is conducive to success for a Flames team that never seems to play well after breaks so I don't see them getting out of this rut until the schedule gets heavy for them.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #5891
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Missing out on kucherov and Point still hurts. Kucherov because we reportedly really wanted to draft him, and Point because many hardcore fans identified him as a no brainer pick for us.
I think the Point one hurts especially because there could easily have been another pick (or two) in that range if Burke hadn't been stubborn about Cammi's value.

Also simply that we struck out with picks 54 (H Smith) and 64 (B Hickey) when there was a lot of silver and a bit of gold in those hills:

55 Montour
56 Donato
58 Dvorak
65 Lammikko
67 Foegele
68 Rinat Valiev (ended up the main thing we traded Kulak for)
76 Elvis M
78 Sorokin
79 Point

Arvidsson, Devon Toews, Heinen, Forsling, Lindblom, and Labanc also all went before CGY picked again at 175.

We got Pick 83 by trading Stempniak in the spring...turned it into Bollig at the draft.

Pick 94 had been traded in the fall for Colborne (fair enough)

Pick 124 had been traded the previous summer for Russell (fair enough I guess)

2009-2015 = every single year was a pick deficit except for 2013 (1sts for Bouw and Iggy - though even that year our 2nd (36OA) was long gone in the Bourqe/Cammi deal, and our 4th was used for Corbin Knight).

Tre certainly dug the hole deeper, but he was already buried to the waist before he started.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #5892
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Not deliberately ignoring anything.

In those 4, they lost to Carolina in OT, and deserved a better fate against SJ. Also lost to Vegas and Boston, two good teams. I don’t think things were particularly troubling or awful

They then had 18 days off then beat Seattle and Chicago.

So yeah, I don’t necessarily tie the 4 game streak in early December to the current 4 game streak as they were basically separated by 3 weeks. And again, this game is their second in 11 nights

They do need to get their game back on track, no doubt

But joining the people getting more and more worked up while the team is idle is just not where I’m at
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #5893
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Flames were the far better team in at least two of those games though
Old 01-18-2022, 10:37 PM   #5894
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Flames were the far better team tonight

Hopefully this thread can take a snooze
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 10:03 AM   #5895
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Flames were the far better team tonight

Hopefully this thread can take a snooze
This thread shouldn't live or die by the most recent game. The Flames played great last night and beat one of the best teams in the league handily. Nevertheless, Treliving is a poor GM and has spend 8 years building a fairly flawed team.

Ownership stepped in and gave them a hall of fame coach after many poor coaching hires by Treliving. So now the team has a decent chance to win every night, but the margin for error is small given the flaws in the roster.

The team's two best players are both LWs, and both have pressing contract issues. Treliving has done ok with RFAs when he has most of the power, but not so well when the player has the power.

The Flames don't have an elite #1 centre. Overall centre depth is also well below what a contender should have.

They don't have a #1 Dman, even a mid tier one, despite Treliving spending a ton of resources on defence. After Sutter and Johnny, the number 1 positive for this season has to be Kylington. A player Treliving tried to give away multiple times.

RW is incredibly weak, even though that has been a problem for several seasons, it hasn't been improved.

Drafting has been good, given what they have to work with, but over Brad's tenure they've had both too few picks and too low of quality of picks.

Obviously, because the NHL is a league that rarely tries anything new, they won't fire the Wizard during the season. But they should. There are basically two times a GM can make trades in the NHL these days, the trade deadline and the weeks leading up to the draft. With the deadline coming up soon, it's actually the perfect time to bring in a new GM with a fresh perspective. But it won't happen.

Finally, it is possible to both enjoy a dominate win against one of the leagues best teams, and recognize that the current GM has done a less than acceptable job over eight seasons. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #5896
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre should have been fired years ago for building such a 98lb weakling,soft as butter team.
This has changed after Sutter arrived but I'm sure Sutter had some input into making this team harder to play against.

and i still can't believe he signed diving ass piece of crap James Neal to this team. he should have been instantly fired after that.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #5897
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Ownership stepped in and gave them a hall of fame coach after many poor coaching hires by Treliving."

This is stated as fact. It isn't one. It's an assumption that hasn't been proven true or false.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 10:46 AM   #5898
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
"Ownership stepped in and gave them a hall of fame coach after many poor coaching hires by Treliving."

This is stated as fact. It isn't one. It's an assumption that hasn't been proven true or false.
Fan960 on air personalities have dropped it casually in conversations multiple times.

Sure, it's not 100% absolutely confirmed beyond any doubt, but it's much more confirmed than the rumour that Stone wouldn't sign with the Flames, and that is quoted all the time as fact.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #5899
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Tre should have been fired years ago for building such a 98lb weakling,soft as butter team.
This has changed after Sutter arrived but I'm sure Sutter had some input into making this team harder to play against.

and i still can't believe he signed diving ass piece of crap James Neal to this team. he should have been instantly fired after that.
I laughed at the idea of James Neal diving. Perhaps he would have done that earlier in his career, but the James Neal we got? He wouldn't put in the effort to dive down to the ice and have to climb back up to his skates.

The James Neal we got was the laziest player I've seen in the modern NHL.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #5900
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Fan960 on air personalities have dropped it casually in conversations multiple times.

Sure, it's not 100% absolutely confirmed beyond any doubt, but it's much more confirmed than the rumour that Stone wouldn't sign with the Flames, and that is quoted all the time as fact.
But BT has also said they had talked to Sutter before and the timing wasn't right.
People will believe what aligns to their opinion.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote