Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2022, 08:28 PM   #3701
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm saying this as a joke but...

Have you hung out with many Oil Riggers?
Haha, nope. Just mess around with cars a lot. Used to buy lots from salvage to fix or part out.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #3702
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best place for a 3M treatment on a new car ?

Dealer wanted way too much imo...
Old 08-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #3703
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Best place for a 3M treatment on a new car ?

Dealer wanted way too much imo...
I've always had good experiences with Shadow Tinting on Macleod.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #3704
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post

I did Shadow Tint on my Volvo 2 years ago. It's starting to peel. My wife did her whole car 6 years ago and it looks like new. Unfortunately the guy she went to for her car shut down in Covid. That's why I went to Shadow tint. I need to take my car back to see if they will warranty it.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #3705
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whole car or just the front ???

She was sold on it from the dealer...however her last two vehicles were just fine without it.

Personally I would buy a vial of touch up paint and wait for the first chip...
Old 08-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #3706
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Whole car or just the front ???

She was sold on it from the dealer...however her last two vehicles were just fine without it.

Personally I would buy a vial of touch up paint and wait for the first chip...

If you spend any time driving on Deerfoot or any highways in the winter and spring months your front end will get destroyed without 3M film.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #3707
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ask if they roll the edges. A lot of dealers and lesser places use the computer templates which always leave your edges unprotected. It does increase the odds of some it lifting in the inside a bit, but for protecting the leading edge of your hood it’s well worth it.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:44 AM   #3708
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept. It has fake "exhaust" noises and a gearbox, maybe? I'm by no means a Dodge fan, but I'm not sure I hate what they are going for. They've gotta try something to be relevant in this space.

Skip to 10:25 for reveal and noises.

https://www.theautopian.com/the-gorg...-transmission/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #3709
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I would take it to Richard at Refine Auto Salon. Shadow tinting generally does good work but Richards guys are better. They are really backed up now though so you have to book in weeks in advance.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:59 AM   #3710
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept. It has fake "exhaust" noises and a gearbox, maybe? I'm by no means a Dodge fan, but I'm not sure I hate what they are going for. They've gotta try something to be relevant in this space.

Skip to 10:25 for reveal and noises.

https://www.theautopian.com/the-gorg...-transmission/
Yeah...I like the LOOK of the car. especially the head and taillights, but it just sounds....weird/wrong.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #3711
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without an idle noise, it's just weird. And an idle noise would be even weirder. I think this is a bit like including a buggy whip with a new Model T.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #3712
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For ####. Fake sounds are so god damned stupid. Goes well with faux vintage I guess
Old 08-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #3713
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is coming from the company that made a car horn sound like a cartoon and has probably got more collectible cars in it's history than any other manufacturer.

I think it will get some ribbing at first but will age well. The name Fratsonic is worse than the sound itself. Fingers crossed it will be something you can turn off.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #3714
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

First thought: That looks beautiful.
Second thought: That noise is horrible, it sounds like the exhaust noises from Need for Speed II SE.

126dB is well above any legally allowable limit for exhaust noise, which suggests that they'll probably restrict the volume in software to the maximum allowed noise level for road vehicles (generally between 85-95dB), then have a track settings that allows it to be cranked up.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:49 AM   #3715
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get they are catering to Motards, but fake exhaust noise is idiotic. The car doesn't have an engine, get over it. I'm not one of those people that likes the noise bylaws (except when it comes to loud motorcycles) but nobody wants to hear fake exhaust noise from an EV. Even on the Tesla forums when someone brings up the artificial engine noise makers they get heckled for it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #3716
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know part of the appeal for some is making sure others hear your car, so it won't satisfy those people, but it seems like one of those situations where they should pump all the fake noises people want inside the cabin, but then have it be quiet on the outside.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #3717
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It's not like exhaust tones in current cars are unavoidable or necessary now, though. What's the difference, really? How many of us have put in x-pipes, headers, magnaflos, borlas, etc. I have the resonators removed in my current car. I've done the exhaust for a different/louder tone in half the cars I've owned. Even straight piped one.

This is the same thing. If you're upset this car isn't silent then go be upset every car isn't silent. We have the muffler tech to make everything really quiet, but most cool cars have a sound and people actually care about it. Try to find a review on any enthusiast vehicle that doesn't mention exhaust note...good luck.

EVs pose an interesting problem. The sound of a car is part of its presence. I don't know that many enthusiasts are ready for silence at this point. I agree we haven't found the sound that'll work yet, but part of the theater of owning a fun car has historically been the sounds it makes, so I'm not surprised automakers are experimenting with new ways to bring that to the EV table.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #3718
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

As long as I can change the "engine rumble" constant noise to nyan cat on loop so people stay away from me it's fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 10:29 AM   #3719
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need the Purrari / Purracan for that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #3720
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's not like exhaust tones in current cars are unavoidable or necessary now, though. What's the difference, really? How many of us have put in x-pipes, headers, magnaflos, borlas, etc. I have the resonators removed in my current car. I've done the exhaust for a different/louder tone in half the cars I've owned. Even straight piped one.

This is the same thing. If you're upset this car isn't silent then go be upset every car isn't silent. We have the muffler tech to make everything really quiet, but most cool cars have a sound and people actually care about it. Try to find a review on any enthusiast vehicle that doesn't mention exhaust note...good luck.

EVs pose an interesting problem. The sound of a car is part of its presence. I don't know that many enthusiasts are ready for silence at this point. I agree we haven't found the sound that'll work yet, but part of the theater of owning a fun car has historically been the sounds it makes, so I'm not surprised automakers are experimenting with new ways to bring that to the EV table.
EV's when pushed hard do make a sound. It's just not a very good one, so altering it to be a bit more pleasing doesn't seem to far fetched. But it should be done moderately.