Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #2581
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like this is a way to get the kids and parents who think it's a good idea to bring them, out of the theatre. Potential win-win for everybody.

If theatres disappear, people will miss them once they gone. Isolation only seems fun now because of covid.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #2582
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Family of 4 will drop ~$100 on one movie. $20 for a non-"experience" movie is well worth it.

Theatre experience can be a bit of a crap shoot. Most of the time people are pretty respectful but you get the odd jerk. If you can't sit through a movie without having to pee, you get the aisle seat. Don't pick the middle and ruin it for everyone in your row.

Hence why I stated that for a family of 4+ the at home experience makes more sense. I have no children.

However, I imagine, if I did have 2 children, I doubt that I would have this pristine undisturbed experience you describe. Even my girlfriend needs to constantly talk and ask me questions if we are watching a movie at home. I cannot imagine how 2 children would act.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #2583
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that films will have less quality to them if studios switch to the streaming model. I don't see how a film with a $250 mill budget can make it's money back from 3 weeks in a theatre then VOD and streaming. Studios will be less likely to get the best cameras or special effects, if they are making films for streaming.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #2584
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If theatres disappear, people will miss them once they gone. Isolation only seems fun now because of covid.
You can see that already with Drive-in movies. It’s a super fun experience but terrible for actually watching a movie with any focus or quality in sound/visuals. But I do miss going and would love to take my kids to one. But honestly I don’t how often we would go to make it feasible for someone to start one up again. A classic movie Drive-in would do well I think because licensing the films would be much more cost effective.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:59 AM   #2585
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If that’s the best adaptation of Red Son they could make, then they should have not bothered. What a waste of time.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #2586
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290769750780510211
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #2587
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s a tough one for Disney. I suspect Mulan would have destroyed at the box office with the added Chinese audience appeal.

EDIT: Didn’t notice the $30 charge, that’ll help. Could even do even better that way with repeat home viewings.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #2588
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I wonder if we start to see a significant slide in the quality of movies. I think it's already started but with pirating and then COVID forcing the theater industry into more trouble and fast forwarding the transition to home theaters, etc... dunno.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #2589
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I wonder if we start to see a significant slide in the quality of movies. I think it's already started but with pirating and then COVID forcing the theater industry into more trouble and fast forwarding the transition to home theaters, etc... dunno.
Does money = quality?

The two hour movie isn’t a good medium for telling the “good movie” story. A 4-12 episode mini-series is so much more immersive. So I think you are seeing the story telling talent move to this much better medium now that it is both well funded, respected and gives a lot of creative freedom.

The mid-budget movie is gone but I think it’s replacement with prestige TV is well worth the trade.

I think you will end up in the near future with the IP driven or Director driven block buster and that’s it in theatres.

The streaming services will supply that next tier of complicated entertainment.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #2590
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Hollywood is a bloated farce of a business template. Time to trim the fat there has been coming for a very long time.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #2591
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Hollywood is just a big money laundering scheme anyways. There’s a reason the term Hollywood Accounting exists.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #2592
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My daughter really wanted to watch the Trolls World Tour movie. So we rented that one for $20. It was still a lot cheaper than going to the movie. She's too young for a live action Mulan, but I don't if I like the idea of having to buy a subscription to Disney+ and $30 to watch this movie.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #2593
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
My daughter really wanted to watch the Trolls World Tour movie. So we rented that one for $20. It was still a lot cheaper than going to the movie. She's too young for a live action Mulan, but I don't if I like the idea of having to buy a subscription to Disney+ and $30 to watch this movie.

While the article doesn't say so, I would assume that at some point, Mulan would he released for free on the regular DIsney+, just like regular movies are after a period of time.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #2594
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a trial balloon. Any number of ways it could turn out. Eventually available to all subscribers, multi tiered service, pay for early access...it should be interesting to see how it plays out.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #2595
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think I’d bite on Mulan at that price but if they do the same thing with Black Widow in the fall...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #2596
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Trolls world tour unsurprisingly broke digital release records, given its timing.

I am also not keen on paying 30 bucks for a movie after I am already streaming the service... but I gguess if you just look at it that its a movie rental, ON Disney+... it feels better?

I mean the movie wouldn't hit Disney+ otherwise for at least 8 or 9 months I gotta think.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #2597
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll probably wait on Mulan unless the reviews are stellar.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #2598
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably wait on Mulan forever, because making live action versions of Disney movies is nothing but a money grab.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #2599
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn, was kinda' hoping they'd just push Mulan down the schedule. The timing of Disney+ couldn't have been better for Disney, especially outside the US. I expect if pandemic-related things don't settle down, it won't be long before other studios start firing their bigs guns down a streaming service.

I love going to the movies (to the theatre where they're shown, not so much.) Moreso the last few years where I'd started to go almost weekly--esp. while I was in rehab 3x week, afternoons usually free. Going to the movies kept me sane.

The biggest problems I have at home, even with gripping movies I'm really into, is there are so many distractions around. Phone (the worst), pets (also the worst) the sun (also the worst - at least my blackout blinds are finally set to arrive next week), that ############ who farts around with his power tools ALL DAY for the last three years, etc.

Even if I can mitigate distractions, the other huge downside of home vs theatre is the sound and picture quality (at least mine) doesn't even come close to the old dingy theatres that remain throughout the city. Not. Even. Close.

I can make at home work, but it's just not the same experience.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #2600
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I felt that way about the Lion King.. so you made a CGI movie based on an animated movie? Why?

I actually prefer the animated version. I'm not looking for realism in my Disney movies..