Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #21
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

She was likely laid off as a cost-cutting measure, as thousands of other Canadian journalist have been in recent years. And lay-offs are always sudden and unexpected to the person getting laid off. You get a letter and told to clear out your desk in 15 minutes.

It may seem strange for a prominent on-air personality to receive the standard treatment, but I’m not sure how else Bell should have handled it. They couldn’t exactly have given her a warning a month ago that she might be a victim of budget cuts, but hang tough until they’re sure that’s the way they want to go.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:52 PM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what kind of ratings the news gets these days? Are there a lot of people not happy about the way this was handed who also haven't seen her do the news in years?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:56 PM   #23
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
She's a woman in her 50's, working in television. There's no mystery here.
I wonder if Dawna Friesen and Adrienne Arsenault are nervous right now.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:44 PM   #24
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always thought Sandie Rinaldo got screwed by not getting the main job after Lloyd Robertson left. She worked weekends and holidays for all those years for nothing!

I also don’t know anyone under 50 who watches the TV news anymore.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #25
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I always thought Sandie Rinaldo got screwed by not getting the main job after Lloyd Robertson left. She worked weekends and holidays for all those years for nothing!

I do when it's just the news and not the other 46 minutes of opinions and water-skiing squirrels.

Just report the damned news unbiased.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #26
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CTV apologizes for firing 58-year-old Lisa LaFlamme: “She should’ve been fired when she turned 50”

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2022/08...she-turned-50/
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:12 PM   #27
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

I do!! I watch Global National and then Global BC. Usually end up switching away from Global BC after about 30 minutes when the stories are no longer that interesting to me
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:17 PM   #28
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me that CTV botched this horribly. Once the decision was made, let her have a swan song. She was their nightly face for 35 years.

Wonder how much the new guy gets paid.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:48 PM   #29
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

LaFlamme is out.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:50 PM   #30
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
She was likely laid off as a cost-cutting measure, as thousands of other Canadian journalist have been in recent years. And lay-offs are always sudden and unexpected to the person getting laid off. You get a letter and told to clear out your desk in 15 minutes.

It may seem strange for a prominent on-air personality to receive the standard treatment, but I’m not sure how else Bell should have handled it. They couldn’t exactly have given her a warning a month ago that she might be a victim of budget cuts, but hang tough until they’re sure that’s the way they want to go.
Why not?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:51 PM   #31
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559251523493928962
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #32
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Previous anchors before Lisa were given a grace period before they left. Makes me wonder if there's more to the story.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #33
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Ummm, except that’s exactly what happened, as per her video posted on twitter. She was informed in June that this was going to happen, but for I assume legal reasons, she wasn’t able to acknowledge it until now.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #34
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't speculate, and truly feel sorry for anyone being let go, but when a person makes a buttload of money, and gets a severance package that is fair (or in this case, probably more than fair as it was resolved so quickly), I don't care too much. I only see her when I'm over at my parents' place so there's little outrage from me. Bell being Bell. Are there any news anchors who are untouchable right now? And what's so grand about being an anchor when they sit and read from the teleprompter?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #35
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvm

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-15-2022 at 09:39 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #36
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

People still watch news? I have never heard of this person until today...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:07 PM   #37
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well it sounds like this was communicated to her in June that her contract would be cut and that she would be replaced. She describes this as blindsided and this seems like there is more to this story.

If this was indeed a financial and business decision, I would suspect this would not have taken 6+ weeks to sort out. She would have been given the end of her contract plus her severance which would have been agreed to fairly quickly.

The level of suddenness to this is a little strange unless something more happened. Nothing wrong with cutting costs and staff, that is something that happens all the time. Giving a long time employee and someone who is an award winning journalist and the actual face of the network no time to say goodbye? She's a professional and would have finished her time there.

This has more of a Don Cherry, Wendy Mesley etc level of removal as opposed to cutting cost. Keeping her in the chair a few more weeks/months is not a materially important operating expense for a massive company like Bell.

I assume more will come out in the next few days. I liked her, loved Lloyd and really like Omar. I am in my 30's and still watch a lot of news on TV.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #38
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CTV News Lisa LaFlamme has been let go

From a Canadaland article with some possible background and animosity between LaFlamme and Bell exec Michael Melling

https://www.canadaland.com/bell-exec...ays-colleague/

Quote:

In a press release, Bell called it a “business decision.”

If there is a business case to be made for firing the anchor of Canada’s top-rated newscast, Melling has allegedly kept it to himself.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:03 PM   #39
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
From a Canadaland article with some possible background and animosity between LaFlamme and Bell exec Michael Melling

https://www.canadaland.com/bell-exec...ays-colleague/
Sounds like your typical corporate company man. Every organization should rid their companies of these types of egos. You see it everywhere.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:00 AM   #40
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I can't speculate, and truly feel sorry for anyone being let go, but when a person makes a buttload of money, and gets a severance package that is fair (or in this case, probably more than fair as it was resolved so quickly), I don't care too much. I only see her when I'm over at my parents' place so there's little outrage from me. Bell being Bell. Are there any news anchors who are untouchable right now? And what's so grand about being an anchor when they sit and read from the teleprompter?
The last sentence is bang on. I did laugh when people were calling her a journalist yesterday. It was the same with Lloyd Robertson. They're reading the news but they're not out doing stories or investigating things.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote