Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #1921
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Gonna try some smoked spam tonight, found one regular recipe and one for burnt ends. This could either be terrible, or at best, decent for a cheap meal. Wish me luck

Is that hot or cold smoking?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #1922
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is that hot or cold smoking?
The recipes I found were 180f and 225f so low end of hot smoking
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #1923
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Oh... it's good. You can't really mess up those spam options other than by being terrible at cutting. Consider adding some Tabasco for an extra kick before smoking. Tabasco synergizes really well with spam.
So with the burnt ends I did something cool, I made a tabasco/pineapple paste with brown sugar and they turned out awesome. Thanks for the heads up man!

Final product, burnt ends w/tabasco, pineapple, brown sugar and bbq sauce. The other dish was a super ghetto fried rice dish with seasoned spam. All in all, pretty good for a super cheap meal.

Smoked both spams for 3 hours

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 08-12-2022 at 08:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #1924
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so a client of mine recommended a place called Wing-Tat foods in the northeast as a great meat shop.

i have made two trips there and thier meat is outstanding and the price seems very good.

last time i was there i picked up two slabs packs of ribs (two slabs in each pack), 4 two packs of steak dont recall what cut - but the steaks were almost the size of a large dinner plate), a piece of brisket (that i cut in two) and 10 lbs of wins all for $215.

i BBQ'd some steak yesterday and it was so juicy and flavourful - it may have been the best steak i had in a long time.

the store itself is not fancy inside as it has a table and you can see the back room where the magic happens. Apparently this shop used to specialize in supplying the food service industry until the early part fo 2020 and they then moved into the retail space.

i feel anyone who makes the trip will not be dissapointed.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #1925
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

my band had a gig on saturday in oyama at a property right on kalamalka lake - it was an awesome setup. it was a huge 80th birthday bash/family reunion (my guess is around 200 people). as i pulled into the property to start unloading my bass gear all you can smell is bbq - it was amazing!
we got all our stuff setup and did sound check, and then got to partake in the feast... there was a full pig roast and i'm guessing a hind quarter for the beef. the meat was soooo tender and the flavour was fantastic! the only down side was we couldn't eat too much since we had to play from 6:30-11pm... nothing like trying to do a gig and burping up dinner! ha! ha!
Old 09-30-2022, 06:44 PM   #1926
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking of getting the Broil King Baron S440 PRO IR tomorrow. I went in looking at Napoleon, with Webber as the backup, but the quality and features of this one really put it ahead. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:16 PM   #1927
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can’t talk you out of it…I love my Napoleon, but everyone who has a broil king loves them and there isn’t a better value be brand than broil king right now in my opinion.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #1928
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO a gas grill is a gas grill. As long as you get one of the leading brands you are gonna be fine.

I think when it comes to smokers and such that’s when you gotta get into the weeds a bit more.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #1929
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thinking of getting the Broil King Baron S440 PRO IR tomorrow. I went in looking at Napoleon, with Webber as the backup, but the quality and features of this one really put it ahead. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
I have an older one with the side burner instead of the searing element and without the LED knobs and it has been great. No issues over the many years I've had it. The only things I don't like on mine which might have been addressed is that the hooks on the side for hanging accessories are useless if your tongs or flipper doesn't have a thin end. My accessories have thick, blunt ends and they don't hang securely on the narrow hooks. The other useless thing is the grease drip pan. Mine came with a really shallow tray that fills up and overflows quickly. Replace that with something significantly deeper if they still use that same design.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 09-30-2022 at 07:46 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #1930
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not trying to talk you out of it, but do you really need one that big? I went with a three burner Weber and it's plenty big for me. We don't have kids, but can cook enough for two couples with room to spare.

Really like the grill on those Broil Kings tho.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:52 AM   #1931
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have A/C, so pretty much all parts of dinner get cooked on the BBQ in the summer. If I use a grill basket for veggies, it takes up a good chunk of the grill. Do I absolutely NEED 4 burners? No, the Napoleon I was looking at had 3(same size), but I don't really want smaller cooking area. I think I'd regret going smaller than what I currently have.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:57 AM   #1932
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "my BBQ is too big"
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #1933
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have A/C, so pretty much all parts of dinner get cooked on the BBQ in the summer. If I use a grill basket for veggies, it takes up a good chunk of the grill. Do I absolutely NEED 4 burners? No, the Napoleon I was looking at had 3(same size), but I don't really want smaller cooking area. I think I'd regret going smaller than what I currently have.
Bigger is better. I have a 5 burner Napoleon and love it.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #1934
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I went ahead on bought it. Just got it home, time to get it setup!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #1935
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the first cook gonna be?
Old 10-01-2022, 03:00 PM   #1936
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
What's the first cook gonna be?
I stopped at Master Meats and grabbed tenderloin. I'm usually a sirloin guy, but hey. New Q. Just about done setting it up!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #1937
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "my BBQ is too big"
So true. There is so much you can do on a grill that isn’t grilling, but having extra space helps. Skillets, pans, baskets, etc. I usually pan fry potatoes in a cast iron skillet, and do peppers and mushrooms with a bit of butter on a cooking pan.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #1938
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Not trying to talk you out of it, but do you really need one that big? I went with a three burner Weber and it's plenty big for me. We don't have kids, but can cook enough for two couples with room to spare.

Really like the grill on those Broil Kings tho.
Once you go the route of indirect grilling, you basically halve your grilling area. A three burner gets a little small when doing this.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #1939
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I stopped at Master Meats and grabbed tenderloin. I'm usually a sirloin guy, but hey. New Q. Just about done setting it up!
You didn't get the $90 Wagyu in the case? They looked so.good.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:36 PM   #1940
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
You didn't get the $90 Wagyu in the case? They looked so.good.
They do, and maybe one day, but I wasn't risking my first grill on that! The tenderloin was perfect, though. Even heat, so nice to not have the "wall of heat" at the back 3rd of the grill like my old one. Think I'm gonna like this IR side burner, it's almost like it's own mini grill!

Another bonus is I finally went NG, so no more propane tanks!

I'm not totally convinced on the quality, and it makes me appreciate my old one all that much more. When they went to load it, they rolled a wheel into a pothole, and it broke off(they found a replacment). When I was moving it into position the side platform fell off and a little piece of plastic broke. My old one has solid metal casters, and no plastic trim. It really was incredible value for $350 from Walmart 20 years ago. I may have a plan for it...

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber