Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should be Captain?
Backlund 240 50.31%
Huberdeau 59 12.37%
Tanev 74 15.51%
Lindholm 42 8.81%
Monahan 8 1.68%
Rasmus 6 1.26%
Somebody else 11 2.31%
Nobody 37 7.76%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2022, 02:24 PM   #161
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You make it sound like Backlund is a ridiculous choice for team captain. Why is that?

On the contrary one could argue that out of everyone on the roster Backlund is the most obvious choice since he has actually captained a team of elite-level professional players to a championship.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Backlund is a player the fans have been wanting to push down the depth chart for years. At 33 he likely has at most 5 years left in the league. Why would they name a short term captain who may only have 2 years left on the team? A guy who likely finds his way to the bottom portion of the roster in the next year?

I want a long term captain not a transitional one. Huberdeau makes the most sense to me at this time because of his commitment to the organization, his elite level of play, and based on what he has said in the media he is ready to fully buy in to do what it takes to keep this team competitive. It doesn’t have to be this year either. See how it plays out and go from there.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #162
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted for nobody. In my opinion the captain has to be the player that talks to the media when things get tough, and is able to keep everyone on the team accountable. Judging by last season those were Lucic, Backlund, Lewis, Coleman, and somewhat Tanev. However, I want the captain of this team to be signed for more than 2 seasons.

Backlund and Tanev are both great options, but I think that they might not be back after their contracts expire. That leaves Huberdeau, Mangiapane, Coleman and Andersson that are signed for more than 2 seasons. Huberdeau could be a good option in a season from now, once he is familiar with the room. I am not a fan of all the chirping and some of the antics Andersson showed(like trying to steal the puck after the game has ended), so I don't think he is captain material. Both Coleman and Mangiapane are definite options, and they both lead by example, but I don't know if they have enough star status.

Finally, Lindholm could be an option, especially next summer if/when he re-signs an extension. He is a definite leader of this team on the ice. However, he doesn't seem to be one of the guys to talk to the media when things get tough, and both Gaudreau and Tkachuk got to wear letters on his line before him.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #163
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see Huberdeau being left do his thing for at least the first couple of seasons without having to worry about the responsibilities of being a captain. I'm concerned that naming him the captain of a team in a city that he's barely set foot in might put him in an awkward spot, especially when he's unfamiliar with the locker room dynamics. Also Backlund has already built a relationship with the city and is more connected to the community, and I think it will take time for Huberdeau to do the same.

I think there is a decent chance Backlund plays the rest of his career here. Even if he doesn't, worst-case is that he would be a fine transitional captain for the next guy (like Conroy was for Iginla), especially if can do some of the things that he did for Sweden. Huberdeau would be able to see where the team needs improvement during that time.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #164
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have no issue at all with Backs getting the C until he retires at the end of his career as a Flame. Then Huberdeau or whoever is the natural leader who bleeds Calgary red.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #165
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a problem changing out the captain more regularly. Not sure why it's so set in stone in hockey vs other sports.

Backlund for a year or two until someone else emerges is OK. Tanev great choice too.

I agree I wouldn't necessarily wanna put even more pressure on Huberdeau as one way or the other, he has the ghosts of Johnny and Tkachuk hanging over him until he proves himself.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #166
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't have a problem changing out the captain more regularly. Not sure why it's so set in stone in hockey vs other sports.

Backlund for a year or two until someone else emerges is OK. Tanev great choice too.

I agree I wouldn't necessarily wanna put even more pressure on Huberdeau as one way or the other, he has the ghosts of Johnny and Tkachuk hanging over him until he proves himself.
I voted for Nobody, but I kind of agree with you. I think I just got used to it by having only one captain change the last 20 years.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:14 PM   #167
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Kind of off topic but Trouba named captain of the Rangers
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:17 PM   #168
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backs all day; dude is the epitome of what it is and means to be a Calgary Flame. He has more than earned the right to captain this team and I think it might unlock another level inside Backs If he were to be given tee captaincy.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 10:47 PM   #169
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all know Sutter is the true captain of this team anyways.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:30 AM   #170
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Kind of off topic but Trouba named captain of the Rangers
Adam Fox is in shambles.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #171
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I had posted this article last year when the debate was on who would replace Giordano as the C.

-In 2018 Captained Sweden to a Gold medal at the Worlds. Sweden was perfect with Backlund as captain, running the table to a 10-0 record. Here is some of the article https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/a-go...nt/c-298716768 after winning the gold from his coaches and teammates:

He earned some positive reviews in his first go-round representing Sweden with the 'C'.

"Tremendous job," Sweden head coach Rikard Gronborg said.

"I knew we had a good captain, but he did more than I thought he would do. He took tremendous ownership of the whole process of the players and he was a great link between the coaching staff and the players. Even before, he was doing the scheduling every day. That's the type of player he is. It was easy for us to reach the players because he was such a great link.

"Tremendous hockey player, tremendous person and a great leader."

Johan Garpenlov, Sweden's assistant coach, a three-time skater in past tournaments, and a veteran of 609 NHL games logged with stints with the Detroit Red Wings, San Jose Sharks, Florida Panthers and Atlanta Thrashers, echoed the thought.

"He's done a great job for us," Garpenlov said. "He's our leader, obviously, our captain. On and off the ice he's such a good player. He shows up every game, every shift. He makes the guys feel comfortable out there, even in the dressing room. He's done a great job."

From the coaches perspective, Backlund did a bang-up job.

From his teammates perspective?

Much of the same.

"Just great, great leader," said teammate and Nashville Predators forward Filip Forsberg. "Great player. Obviously playing against him a lot in Calgary, you see the two-way game that he brings. He's got a really high skill set but still one of the best defensive centers in the league.

"Coming in here, he was a guy taking charge, talking a lot, just being vocal in the locker room and leading on the ice. He was one of our best players every game I played here.

"I'm just proud to be his teammate."

The role was natural for Backlund, who in Calgary has sported an 'A' from time to time and was the recipient of the J.R. McCaig Award, given by the Flames to both the player and staff member who best exemplify McCaig's enduring virtues of respect, courtesy and compassion for all individuals he encountered both in his professional and everyday life in March.

Well this got my vote. +1 for backs
Old 08-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #172
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Backs is the clear choice. Has been with the team and community since day one, and by all accounts is a character guy with positive leadership qualities. Plays the game the right way (particularly in a Sutter system), and seems to love it here.

Huberdeau or someone else could be a possibility eventually, but the notion of having him just parachute in here as captain on day one seems goofy as all hell.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:34 PM   #173
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Backs is the clear choice. Has been with the team and community since day one, and by all accounts is a character guy with positive leadership qualities. Plays the game the right way (particularly in a Sutter system), and seems to love it here.

Huberdeau or someone else could be a possibility eventually, but the notion of having him just parachute in here as captain on day one seems goofy as all hell.

That's how I think as well - especially considering that he has never been a captain before.

I think that there are only 2 times that making someone captain on a team who wasn't with them the season before:

1) Expansion team
2) Bringing someone in who is a future hall of famer player with years of being a captain, onto a young team for the explicit purpose of changing the culture.

Calgary just isn't one of those two situtions. Huberdeau will most likely eventually be captain IMO (unless he isn't captain material, or someone else stands out like a sore them ahead of him).

Backlund seems exactly like the guy you give it to. If not him, then at this point, it should probably be nobody until there is a clear captain.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #174
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's nobody again at least to start the year, see who's leading the team during or after this season and name one then. That way if it makes sense to be Huberdeau at least he's "earned it".... or maybe he doesn't even want to be, but let's see how it shakes out first.
Icon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #175
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any consideration for Kadri? Maybe not the C, but potentially an A?
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #176
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Lucic.

Tanev isn’t great with the media.
Looch could also do during the game interviews which would be a nice touch for the fans to hear from the captain during the game.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #177
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post

One might even say almost ...Oileresque.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #178
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
Any consideration for Kadri? Maybe not the C, but potentially an A?
The less time Kadri spends talking to the refs, the better.

I always feel like the captain of a team should be self-evident.

Backlund is self-evidently the captain of this roster. Right age, right ability, right tenure. Overshadowed his whole career.

This is his moment.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #179
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backs - C
Huberdeau - A
Tanev - A

I’m probably in the minority in that I dislike having different home and away alternates but if they go this route, add Lindholm & Hanifin.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:37 AM   #180
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t think you can give it to Backlund since his future beyond his contract is unclear. Veteran player who’s game could easily fall off and another contract here isn’t a sure thing.

IMO it goes to someone who’s locked up long term or who it’s easy to foresee being here for a lot longer.
howard_the_duck is online now   Reply With Quote