Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2022, 02:46 PM   #1821
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
powderjunkie, I think you're kinda talking at cross-purposes here. You say that the parking lots on 9th Ave are "stifling" development, in that "if you can turn a tidy profit with parking it dramatically decreases incentive to build something", and you note that the City controls the "powerful lever" of parking supply, but...

... how else do you disincentivize that land remaining parking other than reducing the profitability of parking by increasing the supply? If you decrease the supply of parking the price goes up and there's all the incentive in the world to just leave those parcels as parking lots forever and ever.

I'm supportive of your position that ideally that land is used for something other than some crappy parking lots, but I think you're mischaracterizing the situation as 'we' (the City) having "ruined the public realm" there. As you say, it has been nothing but parking lots for 50+ years, and before that was rail yards. It has literally never, ever been anything else since 1883.

What do you think we do to incentivize develop of lands like that, or disincentivize keeping them the way they are? I honestly don't really have an answer, short of expropriation and the City/CMLC developing the land. To bizaro86's point though, it's not as thought there isn't already a crapload of vacant space downtown, so I'm not sure what you would develop there instead...? At this point it doesn't seem economically viable.
It's immensely complicated - I could write you a novel and barely scratch the surface; there's lots of great discussion on these topics at Skyrise Cities forums.

I was careful to preface my original comments with 'generally' for a reason - it's pretty tough to discuss individual parcels, but the city can absolutely do a better job of defining and enforcing a more holistic strategy here. As a society we really need to re-evaluate our ####ed up relationship with cars/traffic/parking, but it's a political football since most people are incapable of critical thinking.

Profitable parking lots aren't a problem; undeveloped lots aren't necessarily a problem either, but we can definitely do a better job of the hostility they add to our public realm.

To bring it full circle to the original point - surface parking reduces the quantity/concentration/duration of people spending time downtown. Auto commuters tend to disperse towards the perimeter (often via +15) spending very little time in any public space.

Transit riders concentrate towards 7 and 8 ave; even if their behaviour is limited to immediately boarding a train/bus, they've still contributed some degree of presence/vibrancy. Peds/cyclists are sorta similar; whatever direction they go they are contributing some degree of vibrancy. There is probably data to back this up, but these folks are probably more likely to interact with central businesses (grab a pint/etc), which leads towards development (eventually).

It's not about some big dramatic change (though it would be nice) - it's just slightly adjusting the taps to encourage better outcomes. We can still have lots of parking, but let's try to avoid having tons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
In the same vein, single-family homes should be taxed higher than multi-story condos. I doubt that would ever happen though.
They generally are, but we could certainly tweak the calculation to more heavily weight lot size.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #1822
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The city should heavily tax parking lots taking the vast majority of the revenue either through best use property tax or just a 75% tax (or whatever number essentially makes holding parking lots not desirable).

Essentially you would like vacant land to be almost zero value and developed land to be valuable.
Downtown Calgary needs more developed space? All the empty stuff isn’t good enough?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #1823
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is the train really that bad right now? I took it for years since the mid 90s but at the start of Covid my work offered free parking (long since ended) and I've been driving ever since. I was considering to start taking the train again, but all this talk has me thinking maybe I shouldn't? I'm only going from Crowfoot to University for the most part. Are the cars all filthy now or what?
Old 05-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #1824
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Yeah the train has been bad but there’s been a noticeable presence of security and even police the last few weeks. Still not very clean and a lot of garbage everywhere and on the trains.

I also think that people working from home the last couple years just don’t want to put up with much anymore.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:00 PM   #1825
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Downtown Calgary needs more developed space? All the empty stuff isn’t good enough?
More the city pays for al of the infrastructure required to get cars downtown which makes parking valuable. The city ADP restrains the creation of additional parking which makes parking valuable. Therefore the windfall proceeds from parking should go to the city.

And parking lot development is not a good use of space so their should not be a revenue stream from bare surface parking.

It’s a general principle to be applied regardless of economic conditions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:57 PM   #1826
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To say nothing of the portion of property and business taxes that the City uses to pay for the infrastructure to get cars downtown? Couldn’t you argue that property owners should get the windfall? And who’s to say that parking lot isn’t good use of space? If you want people to go the establishments that are already there, they need to actually be able to get there. Transit in this City is a non starter for a lot of people, and much to chagrin of half the planners and council no one is riding into downtown from suburbia (well, okay, like maybe .001%?).
Old 05-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #1827
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's immensely complicated - I could write you a novel and barely scratch the surface; there's lots of great discussion on these topics at Skyrise Cities forums.

I was careful to preface my original comments with 'generally' for a reason - it's pretty tough to discuss individual parcels, but the city can absolutely do a better job of defining and enforcing a more holistic strategy here. As a society we really need to re-evaluate our ####ed up relationship with cars/traffic/parking, but it's a political football since most people are incapable of critical thinking.

Profitable parking lots aren't a problem; undeveloped lots aren't necessarily a problem either, but we can definitely do a better job of the hostility they add to our public realm.

To bring it full circle to the original point - surface parking reduces the quantity/concentration/duration of people spending time downtown. Auto commuters tend to disperse towards the perimeter (often via +15) spending very little time in any public space.

Transit riders concentrate towards 7 and 8 ave; even if their behaviour is limited to immediately boarding a train/bus, they've still contributed some degree of presence/vibrancy. Peds/cyclists are sorta similar; whatever direction they go they are contributing some degree of vibrancy. There is probably data to back this up, but these folks are probably more likely to interact with central businesses (grab a pint/etc), which leads towards development (eventually).

It's not about some big dramatic change (though it would be nice) - it's just slightly adjusting the taps to encourage better outcomes. We can still have lots of parking, but let's try to avoid having tons.

They generally are, but we could certainly tweak the calculation to more heavily weight lot size.
Downtown serves a singular purpose for a lot of people and that’s to go to work. Removing parking isn’t going to change that. It’s just going to upset people.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:31 PM   #1828
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would like to commend Calgary Police Service for not giving up. My cousin Tammie, a beautiful talented woman who struggled with many personal demons through much of her life, has been missing since 2016. CPS is still 'investigating' and released this today, suggesting they now believe she was victim of a homicide.
Can't imagine this will ever be solved, but our thanks to CPS for not giving up.

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/missing-...m-of-homicide/

Quote:
Missing person believed to be victim of homicide
Our investigators have worked tirelessly to find answers regarding the disappearance of a Calgary woman and are providing an update on this investigation as she is now believed to be the victim of a homicide.

Tammie Doreen HOWARD, commonly known as ‘Irish’, 49, was last heard from on Saturday, Dec. 24, 2016. She was reported missing by her family in April 2017 and a police investigation was initiated.

Over the last five years, our investigators have followed up on many leads and we now believe Irish was murdered. We are reaching out to the public to gather information regarding a vehicle we believe to be connected to her death, a light-coloured Jeep Wrangler, and ask anyone who may have information about it to contact police.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 06:52 PM   #1829
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Further to above
(Selected parts quoted)

Remains of missing Calgary woman found, first-degree murder charge laid

Quote:
Calgary police have laid a murder charge in relation to the death of a woman whose partial remains were located east of the city.
DNA evidence identified the partial remains as Tammie Doreen Howard, also known as Irish, after police began a search for evidence relating to her death on Siksika Nation on Saturday.
Following the discovery, 36-year-old Natalie Renee Vinje, also known as NV Evans, was charged with first-degree murder in relation to Howard’s death. Vinje remains in custody and is due to appear in court on Aug. 19.

Police said they believe Vinje did not act alone.

Treit said over the past five years, the Calgary Police Service’s missing persons unit has been following up on leads and reviewing evidence in an effort to locate Howard, who they believe was killed “in a particularly violent way.”

Police continue the investigation and ask anyone with information about Howard’s disappearance or death to call the police non-emergency line at 403-266-1234 or anonymously via Crime Stoppers.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9052007/c...s-charge-laid/

Thank you CPS. Parts of the story are horrible and heartbreaking, but knowing is better than not knowing. Probably
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #1830
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dr. Robert L. Perkins, a self-described “expert in the prevention and treatment of PTSD,” a “certified sexologist,” and a board member of the North American Surfing Doctors Association, was scheduled to give an in-person presentation on Sept. 13 to Calgary Police Service members.

Perkins has trained CPS members on “critical incident stress debriefs,” which he has said is a “supportive crisis intervention process.” The police service’s executive director of wellness and resiliency, Stacey Ferland, recently successfully defended her PhD in clinical police pyschophysiology from the college.

In early August, the college awarded an honorary doctorate to CPS sergeant Mike Huskins – photos posted on the college’s Facebook page show CPS Chief Mark Neufeld smiling broadly as he presents Huskins with a frame for his degree.

A Global News investigation has revealed the college, which operates from a postal box in a strip mall in Anaheim, Calif., has no recognized accreditation and issues degrees that an education fraud expert said aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.

Over a 31-year career, retired FBI special agent Allen Ezell investigated and shut down some of the world’s largest, most sophisticated degree mills.

“I would not trust it. I wouldn’t give its diploma any credibility whatsoever. It has no academic value,” he said of the college.

“To me, it’s a fraud, it’s a scam. It’s a mirage, it’s not real.”

Veronica Maxwell is a close associate of Perkins. She claims to be a sexologist with a PhD from the college, where she is now a faculty member. Maxwell also goes by the name Sharon Rowley, who is separately listed as a faculty member and, according to a podcast episode description, is Perkins’ wife.

Ezell said the resume should have immediately caused anyone, but most especially a trained police officer, to be suspicious of Perkins’ alleged professional credentials and work experience.

Had Neufeld consulted him, “I would tell him not to touch it with a 20-foot pole.”

A Google Maps search revealed the college’s head office address corresponds to a Postal Express outlet next to a nail salon in an Anaheim strip mall. The addresses of its international “offices” in Vancouver, B.C. and Sheffield, England also correspond to postal boxes.

The college recently offered half-off PhDs for $7,700 US.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9111110/e...im-strip-mall/

Really guys? Really?

These are the same people who are supremely confident in their own judgement at all times? Sexologist? Surfing Chaplains?

People bought this crap?

Defund the Police indeed if they're wasting their budget money on this crap.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 11:16 AM   #1831
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

lol that is beyond the pale. Amazing.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #1832
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Is there any particular reason why cops and firefighters are parading through downtown?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #1833
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Is there any particular reason why cops and firefighters are parading through downtown?
Id imagine for the Cop who was essentially executed in the GTA yesterday.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #1834
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Every year on the second Tuesday in September we gather to remember and honour our fallen at the Calgary Fallen Firefighters Memorial. This solemn ceremony is a reminder to all of us of the risk and the sacrifice we all accept in the line of duty.

Your Calgary Firefighters will be walking in solidarity from Mewata Armoury at 1100h and arriving at the City of Calgary Tribute Plaza in front of City Hall at noon. We would be honoured to see you there supporting our walk of remembrance for those that gave everything for the citizens of Calgary.
https://www.facebook.com/CalgaryFirefighters/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #1835
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Every year on the second Tuesday in September, we gather to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to keep our city safe.

Join us at the Municipal Plaza or watch The Fallen Firefighters Memorial ceremony at calgary.ca/live at noon on Sept 13."

https://www.calgary.ca/events/live-v...redirect=/live
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 11:41 AM   #1836
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPS needs civilian oversite in the worst way possible. What an absolute clown show
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #1837
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
CPS needs civilian oversite in the worst way possible. What an absolute clown show
Sadly, you just missed the deadline to apply to be a member of the Calgary Police Commission by one day.

https://www.calgarypolicecommission....ce-commission/
Old 09-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #1838
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Sadly, you just missed the deadline to apply to be a member of the Calgary Police Commission by one day.

https://www.calgarypolicecommission....ce-commission/
I'd never even heard of it.

Whats it pay?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #1839
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'd never even heard of it.

Whats it pay?
I don't know. I've never bothered to look into it.

Edit: Looked into it...City of Calgary Commission positions are volunteer.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 09-13-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:13 PM   #1840
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/9111110/e...im-strip-mall/

Really guys? Really?

These are the same people who are supremely confident in their own judgement at all times? Sexologist? Surfing Chaplains?

People bought this crap?

Defund the Police indeed if they're wasting their budget money on this crap.
To be fair lack of due diligence happens all the time in provincial and federal governments so it shouldn't be surprising that it happens in municipal levels. We only recently found out about the Laith Marouf scandal as the Liberals paid a racist $130k to work as an anti-racism trainer.

https://canoe.com/news/canada/first-...-getting-worse

Quote:
Then, Hussen issued a statement demanding that the Community Media Advocacy Centre (the official recipient of the $130,000) explain how they hired Marouf, without apparently realizing that the centre consists exclusively of Marouf and his wife. The pair are the only two consultants listed on the CMAC website.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-13-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote