Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #961
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago with Enbridge.

Logged into an app and answered generic questions related to the role.

Thought I failed miserably but I did get a follow up interview with real people.

Seems to be the normal HR process. I wouldn't be too offended.

Maybe we're going for the same position....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I'm coming up on month 4 of a new job. In a lead role for construction in BC. It's a huge opportunity but damn it's hard not being home or getting many days off.

Got a follow up from Enbridge last week that was odd. I applied 4 months ago, had an internal reference and an external reference that has known the hiring manager for 30 years. Said they were interested but selected someone from in the company.

Now, I'm getting invited to download an app, interview myself on camera and mail it in. I'm a bit disappointed here, as I wanted a more personal response, not an HR tool like this. I don't feel comfortable with them keeping 20 minutes of me either. Anyone been through this?
Old 11-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #962
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interview request today for a separate position. As well it seems like my current employer may want to keep me on anyways.

Nice to have options again...
Old 12-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #963
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Still have my job I've had for coming up on 4 months, but am considering actively looking for something else. The company culture and my role is not the best for me, and I'm not making quite what I hoped. Can't see this place as a place I want to work long term.

How do you manage the potential of calls/interviews when you also have to go to work?

Also, I suppose putting a current position on a resume, when the current employer doesn't know I'm going to be looking isn't a great idea?

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 12-07-2021 at 08:46 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #964
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Still have my job I've had for coming up on 4 months, but am considering actively looking for something else. The company culture and my role is not the best for me, and I'm not making quite what I hoped. Can't see this place as a place I want to work long term.

How do you manage the potential of calls/interviews when you also have to go to work?

Also, I suppose putting a current position on a resume, when the current employer doesn't know I'm going to be looking isn't a great idea?

I think you should keep your current position on your resume. It's easier to find a job when you already have one. For some reason, recruiters seem to fear unemployed people. The new company wont contact your current employer until the very end of the hiring process, so they won't know that you're looking. Of course, there is a chance that someone screws up and your current employer does find out, which you'd have to deal with at the time.

I find it pretty easy to take interviews while I'm at work, but that might be the nature of my position - I can take a call at any time. If you need some sort of special arrangement for the interview (maybe at lunch or after your shift ends), just tell the interviewer that. Be honest about your situation and they will accommodate. Remember, they are asking for an interview because they want to hire you.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #965
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I am hiring for a junior to intermediate Cybersecurity Analyst. Can be someone with a networking or sysadmin background with security platform experience and some security training/certs and wants to get into the security sphere.

PM me for details.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #966
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

I've just blocked time off in my calendar and say I have an appointment if anybody asks. They don't need to know anything further than that.

By all means keep your current position on your resume, that shows your latest experience. You don't want to leave a gap especially if you are working and if the role you are in now would help you land the new role.
Remember that you need to look out for yourself. Don't feel guilty either about interviewing when you're still working.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #967
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Thanks guys. I have a pre screening zoom this afternoon, and I have an “appointment” that I have to leave early from work for.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #968
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Giving this thread a bump.

It looks like things are picking up a bit in the energy sector but unemployment still high in Calgary.

Calgary's unemployment rate remained largely unchanged in December, dropping just one-tenth of a percentage point to 8.2 per cent.

Calgary's jobless rate remains one of the highest among the 34 metropolitan areas surveyed, sitting below only Saint John, N.B. and Peterborough, Ont. at 8.3 per cent and 9.5 per cent respectively.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-s...mber-1.5731472
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #969
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump again...

I accepted a staff position at the place where I was previously on contract.

How does one decide on a DB pension vs a Savings plan ?
Old 01-19-2022, 07:58 AM   #970
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Bump again...

First that’s a big congrats on the transition. That takes away a lot of stress for sure and gives you back many hours this year that you don’t have to do books.

To answer… it depends. Depends on how long you might work there until retirement, depends on if they would match any savings, depends how early you might be allowed withdrawals, in the future can you convert from DB to cash payout (after retirement), is it all paid on company stock or can you invest in a limited group of funds (ie like the Sunlife groups), and what other perks are associated with either.

The biggest thing is to get free money(ie matching or pension), minimal MERs on invested moneys, flexibility, etc.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #971
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bump again...

Talk to a financial planner, but when I had to make the same decision my financial planner basically asked me "do you plan on being at your job for 5 years or 25?" If it's 25, take the DB was what she said.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #972
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bump again...

Is it DB vs DC or literally a savings plan?

DB vs Savings plans are totally different things. One is retirement pension and taxed at a later date and the other is basically immediate cash in pocket and taxed immediately. In the past I've heard of DB/DC+ savings but never DB/DC vs savings.

Pension wise, I've heard that 99% of the time, always DB. There's a reason why they're all being phased out and no longer an option in most situations. In a layoff situation, there's the option to be paid out (vs retaining the DB contract) and in those situations there's often a slight bump up that often makes it slightly more lucrative than the DC plans. Many people try to make the calculation that if you're expecting to jump roles, it's easier to bring DC plans with you. But I think long term, the companies would probably track DB plan owners and convert you anyways and split some of the administrative savings for DB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Talk to a financial planner, but when I had to make the same decision my financial planner basically asked me "do you plan on being at your job for 5 years or 25?" If it's 25, take the DB was what she said.
I know someone who was at an O&G company for around 5-6 years and chose the DB model over DC because she knew the individual who did the model and implemented the plan offerings. When my she left the company, they offered her the cash out which basically took them to the cleaners. She knew the individual who did the calc and he estimated she walked away with almost double what she would have received under a DC plan. But he also did say that if she had left about 2 years later, they changed the calc and she basically would "only" have walked away with around 10-20% more than DC rather than nearly double.

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-19-2022 at 01:40 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:56 AM   #973
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So this is a bit of a weird scenario.

A friend of my boss is in hollistic medicine, he's currently struggling with his current marketing company and is looking for someone to come in and advice, and do a rebranding excercise. So we're looking for someone that has some marketing chops and experience and is creative minded.

The idea of this is to network the interested person directly to the client as it doesn't really fit into the React0r mission.

If any of you are interested or know of someone that could be interested DM me and I'll get things set up.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #974
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is it DB vs DC or literally a savings plan?

DB vs Savings plans are totally different things. One is retirement pension and taxed at a later date and the other is basically immediate cash in pocket and taxed immediately. In the past I've heard of DB/DC+ savings but never DB/DC vs savings.

Pension wise, I've heard that 99% of the time, always DB. There's a reason why they're all being phased out and no longer an option in most situations. In a layoff situation, there's the option to be paid out (vs retaining the DB contract) and in those situations there's often a slight bump up that often makes it slightly more lucrative than the DC plans. Many people try to make the calculation that if you're expecting to jump roles, it's easier to bring DC plans with you. But I think long term, the companies would probably track DB plan owners and convert you anyways and split some of the administrative savings for DB.

I know someone who was at an O&G company for around 5-6 years and chose the DB model over DC because she knew the individual who did the model and implemented the plan offerings. When my she left the company, they offered her the cash out which basically took them to the cleaners. She knew the individual who did the calc and he estimated she walked away with almost double what she would have received under a DC plan. But he also did say that if she had left about 2 years later, they changed the calc and she basically would "only" have walked away with around 10-20% more than DC rather than nearly double.

I am hoping, just hoping, that once in my career I can seriously land with my @$$ "in the butter" and magically get some stunning awesome bonus or buyout or early retirement. Preferably around mid-50's so it's enough, for sure, to know that I could retire and eat only the very best cat food, with gravy.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #975
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not directly related. I recently incorporated, and am wondering where I can find templates for the different sections of the minutes book.

Anyone have any ideas where I can get a minutes book or the templates for the forms?
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:23 AM   #976
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would get an accountant to review to ensure everything is done correctly.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:45 PM   #977
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife received a job offer for a more senior position within her company. The offer contains a three-month probationary perod whereby she could be terminated. Is this common, or a mistake that was made in the job offer? It doesn't seem right to me considering she's been with the company for a while. I've always worked for small businesses so I have no idea if this legit, lol.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:59 AM   #978
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
My wife received a job offer for a more senior position within her company. The offer contains a three-month probationary perod whereby she could be terminated. Is this common, or a mistake that was made in the job offer? It doesn't seem right to me considering she's been with the company for a while. I've always worked for small businesses so I have no idea if this legit, lol.
I wouldn’t accept a probationary period if I have about 5+ years of experience. Last 3 positions I have had I either negotiated them out or wasn’t part of the offer to begin with.

Also legally I imagine they would owe severance regardless as you don’t lose your standing by shuffling within the company.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:09 PM   #979
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Doubtful CP had this audience, but please PM me if so.

My neighbour has 30+ years of heavy duty, truck and transit mechanic experience, including CVIPs, Chassis Dyno operations, HVAC systems and diagnostics. I know him well, he’s an awesome guy who knows his ####. Walked out of an untenable shop after many years of dedicated service.

He can’t find a place to hire him. I firmly believe he is being subject to ageism as he meets and exceeds the qualifications for several postings and has experience that would be hard to parallel.

If anyone has a lead on a shop looking for quality and experienced CVIP type work, he’s your guy.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #980
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Doubtful CP had this audience, but please PM me if so.

My neighbour has 30+ years of heavy duty, truck and transit mechanic experience, including CVIPs, Chassis Dyno operations, HVAC systems and diagnostics. I know him well, he’s an awesome guy who knows his ####. Walked out of an untenable shop after many years of dedicated service.

He can’t find a place to hire him. I firmly believe he is being subject to ageism as he meets and exceeds the qualifications for several postings and has experience that would be hard to parallel.

If anyone has a lead on a shop looking for quality and experienced CVIP type work, he’s your guy.
I do a bit of consulting for these guys...not sure if this would fit for him: https://dttr.ca/join-our-team/. It is in EDM tho.

If it does, PM me and can give him some tips.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote