Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
does something like the WD live or any of the other devices allow me to go to sites like Discovery Channel, CBC, etc... and watch some of their videos or would I be better off hooking a laptop to the TV to do stuff like that?
Quote:
This one seems quite interesting although I haven't looked into it much. It has a built in browser so I'd be able to access the net and hopefully be able to download video content from sites like CBC, Discovery, etc.... it even has wi-fi since I don't have an ethernet cable where the TV is.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...rchPageIndex=1
I'd spend the extra $90 and get a Boxee box. It has a bunch of channels, pretty sure CTV, CBC and Discovery are in there among others. You only get the resolution that is available on the channels website though which wouldn't look great on a really big TV. You can also access youtube, netflix, MLB, internet radio, comedy channel, etc etc. plus your own network shared files.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX31175

Edit: Just looked, CBC is there as well as NHL Gamecentre but I don't see CTV or Discovery. There are 258 stock apps installed so they might be there somewhere. Pretty sure I've watched a Discovery show though, might have just browsed to the website and watched the video that way.

Last edited by Jacks; 05-14-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #42
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Boxee Box looks very interesting too. Is there a listing online somewhere of the channels it is able to connect to? A quick look online though shows a number of people complaining about channels disappearing or no longer being able to play video from certain channels. Is this still the case? Most of these types of posts were from a year or two ago.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #43
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boxee box has been discontinued I believe. I think the Roku is really the market leader and best best bet for future support and all that for now.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #44
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I've rarely used many of the apps. It looks like they are mostly listed here.
http://boxeeappreviews.com/
I use it for streaming from a NAS box and for Youtube mainly.

Hadn't heard about it being discontinued, it's still for sale.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #45
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I rarely ever watch TV. When I do, the following combination works like a charm.

NHL Game Center Live
Unblock-US

No games are in-market anymore. You can stream every single NHL game. It's beautiful.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #46
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

And you are able to watch any playoff game of your choosing?
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #47
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
And you are able to watch any playoff game of your choosing?
Yes - I've been watching the playoffs on my ipad with no issues at all. Quality buffers happen once or twice a game (quality dips, no stoppage in play), but it doesn't both me too much.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #48
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I picked up an amplified antenna and a Panasonic media player at lunch. I'll give it a try over the weekend and see how I like it.

https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...s/DMPMST60.asp

Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #49
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

well... it's going back tomorrow. it's very slow, the web browser is painful and won't play video from any sites because they require Flash. it's hard to navigate online and awful trying to type without any sort of keypad. the built in apps are completely useless. on the plus side, Netflix works fine and my Wi-Fi is fast enough for streaming from it. I think the best thing to do would be to hook a cheap laptop up to my TV or pick up a wifi card and wireless keyboard/mouse for my old PC and use that.

It has also froze up on me 3 times in the last hour and I had to unplug it.

Last edited by shane_c; 05-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #50
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jeez, not having much luck. Today I picked up a Terk amplified antenna but could still only get 2 of 3 channels (same as my rabbit ears). Both the amplified RCA from yesterday and the amplified Terk could get around 88 - 95% signal compared to about 65% with the rabbit ears but I couldn't tell any difference in picture quality and the rabbit ears seemed to cut out a lot less than the 2 amplified ones.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #51
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

For me, it comes down to sports. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably ditch it. But to ditch cable entirely and watch Flames and playoff hockey on those ****** internet and game centre streams to save the money? I'm not there yet.

Until it's as good of quality as watching on my TV in HD, with no lag or choppiness or any issues during a game, I won't do it. Right now, you get the odd game that looks kind of close to the quality you'd get from cable, but to rely on that garbage for a whole season of hockey and other sports? No way, cables still worth the money for that alone, imo.

Plus, channel surfing. I still find interesting shows on Discovery and other channels from lazy Sunday surfing (mind you, they're becoming more rare with all the reality shows taking over).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #52
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jeez, not having much luck. Today I picked up a Terk amplified antenna but could still only get 2 of 3 channels (same as my rabbit ears). Both the amplified RCA from yesterday and the amplified Terk could get around 88 - 95% signal compared to about 65% with the rabbit ears but I couldn't tell any difference in picture quality and the rabbit ears seemed to cut out a lot less than the 2 amplified ones.
Back when I used to experiment a lot with this kind of thing, the Terk amplifieds were pretty much thought of as garbage. Your problem sounds like multi path, and the amplification probably makes it worse and that is why it cuts out. I've heard good things about this one lately
http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Pape...ywords=antenna

In some areas though, a roof mounted antenna with a rotor is going to be your only option.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #53
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cancelling my TV package for the summer again this Friday, unless they offer a similar incentive to stay ($9.95/month with the major sports channels in HD).

No antenna options here for me in a condo.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #54
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch a lot of stuff through Amazon Prime. There are still things you'd have to pay for even with Prime, but enough free stuff to keep me happy, like nature shows and lots of stuff not on Netflix.

My tv is a 42" plasma that's about 6 years old so I don't notice too much quality loss. Sometimes though it does bug me ;(
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #55
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was playing around with the antenna last night and was able to get CBC and CTV in around 95% without any cutting out. If I moved the antenna upstairs on top of a shelf I could get Global to hold around 36% and the picture was HD quality even at 36%. So I think for my area I would need the antenna in the attic our outside to get a reliable Global signal. Outside would likely be easier for routing the wire but if it was in the attic at least it wouldn't have to deal with the weather. Plus, I've never been up in our attic but have the feeling it would be creepy up there.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #56
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well... it's going back tomorrow. it's very slow, the web browser is painful and won't play video from any sites because they require Flash. it's hard to navigate online and awful trying to type without any sort of keypad.
At the risk of beating a dead horse the Boxee plays flash and has a full qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #57
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
At the risk of beating a dead horse the Boxee plays flash and has a full qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote.
+1

If you don't have or can't get a jailbroken Apple TV2 then the Boxee is the next best option.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #58
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'll look into it again. My concern though was that I couldn't find a list of available 'channels' for Canada and the sales person told me it didn't have a browser so I wasn't sure how I'd access online content on Discovery mainly (I'm a Daily Planet fan) but also HGTV, CBC, CTV, and Global

Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #59
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Article about it being discontinued and no longer updated.

http://deviceguru.com/r-i-p-boxee-box/
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #60
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I was getting my boxes mixed up. Roku is the one I'll look into since Boxee is being discontinued. Found a site that talks about Canadian Plex Channels for the Roku and they talk about HGTV, CTV, Global, City, etc.... I'm assuming it's free to add plex channels. Does anyone know for sure?