Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #2281
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Ontario is already set to remove some restrictions this week (or at least announce them).

Besides the restrictions on the Flames games, what restrictions in Alberta are getting everyone so rattled about? Are you having to cancel your 12 people tables at restaurants?

Why is everyone so hot and bothered over this topic right now?
There are a bunch of lingering restrictions that don't actually do anything but are just for show. Yet, some of these restrictions have major impacts on the industries they target.

For me personally, I have an auto-immune/inflammatory disease (FMF) that is best treated with exercise. So having gyms closed is a somewhat major issue for me. It's pretty irking to see a fitness centre closed but then see tables of baby boomers at restaurants and coffee shops moving about like nothing is going on. Thankfully, gyms are now open again. If public health is really the issue, let's close the Cinnabon.

The restaurant/bar closures are non-sensical and severely damage a large portion of young workers. The restaurant curfews end up cramming people into the same space for a lesser amount of time. They also encourage young people to have gatherings in private homes.

Despite the contention that these restrictions are minor, for many people they aren't. And to have to keep them in place for the purpose of theatre to appease people's fears is pretty grotesque.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #2282
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh I see, so something more along the lines of this then.

Quote:
#### YEAH BROTHER!!!

I can't wait to be able to sit naked out front of a school smoking crystal meth.

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ME OR MY BODY!!!
is what you are looking for.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #2283
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
Oh I see, so something more along the lines of this then.

is what you are looking for.
Is this is a response to me? Did I write this?

Man, this doesnít seem to be the great discourse you keep beating the drum for.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #2284
Just a guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There are a bunch of lingering restrictions that don't actually do anything but are just for show. Yet, some of these restrictions have major impacts on the industries they target.

For me personally, I have an auto-immune/inflammatory disease (FMF) that is best treated with exercise. So having gyms closed is a somewhat major issue for me. It's pretty irking to see a fitness centre closed but then see tables of baby boomers at restaurants and coffee shops moving about like nothing is going on. Thankfully, gyms are now open again. If public health is really the issue, let's close the Cinnabon.

The restaurant/bar closures are non-sensical and severely damage a large portion of young workers. The restaurant curfews end up cramming people into the same space for a lesser amount of time. They also encourage young people to have gatherings in private homes.

Despite the contention that these restrictions are minor, for many people they aren't. And to have to keep them in place for the purpose of theatre to appease people's fears is pretty grotesque.
To steal/adapt a phrase from an old movie "There are a million stories in the big city". People don't know each story and many align everyone with their perspective.

In the other thread I stated everyone likes to throw rocks at someone/thing, be it in sports, locality or in this case response this situation. Not piling on but Blankall makes comments about Boomers and insinuates about Cinnabon, because that supports his view of the world. There is nothing wrong with that. We just need to understand that everyone sees the world from a unique perspective.
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #2285
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This is a example of hyperbole used in the last page on the reflection of Ikarus' point of view. No , you did not say it. However, you use cowboys example against him with out considering the compassion I suggest when the statements are reversed. I would not be shocked that there are those out there that feel the unvaccinated should imprisoned.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #2286
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a guy View Post
To steal/adapt a phrase from an old movie "There are a million stories in the big city". People don't know each story and many align everyone with their perspective.

In the other thread I stated everyone likes to throw rocks at someone/thing, be it in sports, locality or in this case response this situation. Not piling on but Blankall makes comments about Boomers and insinuates about Cinnabon, because that supports his view of the world. There is nothing wrong with that. We just need to understand that everyone sees the world from a unique perspective.
And so much of what's going on seems aimed to preserve a particular perspective. I'm at the point where I'm getting older, have assets, have kids, et c... so the restrictions don't affect me as much as they would have, say for example, 5 years ago. But they certainly do target young people to an extreme degree. I can still take issue with restrictions that don't affect me as being objectively unfair.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #2287
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

If hyperbole genuinely bothered you, you wouldnít call it out only in those expressing opinions you disagree with.

This whole thread has been a classic example of people holding others to radically different standards of behaviour depending on whether they feel theyíre on the same team or the opposing team.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #2288
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
Our analysis has progressed. For a long period of time we could utilize case numbers to derive the status of covid. We have now moved to strictly hospitalization. I predicted this would occur during the Delta wave, but it ended up happening during the Omicron wave. This was an inevitable change as covid took root. Now that covid is essentially ubiquitous, I think the next shift will be to move away from the perspective of looking at covid as waves or variants. At least any more than we view flu as a wave or a variant.

I believe that we are there, or almost there. Maybe a few weeks away at most.
I'd say it's the opposite actually. Even despite hugely skewed case numbers because of limited testing infrastructure, the curves and peaks are playing out almost exactly as you'd expect in relation to one another in places with varying immunity levels. Only when there is little to no threat of overwhelming hospitals will they become less important.

And I think you're dreaming if you think we're no longer going to be thinking in terms of waves and variants. Immunity wanes (even against severe disease) pretty quickly in those most likely to use hospital resources, so it's something we're going to need to stay on top of. An immune escape variant that runs over the population when 90% of the adult population was within 6 months of vaccination or had a recent infection is going to be a lot different than a variant that does the same with 40% vaccine coverage (which will naturally happen as the risk wanes).

That is to say, Omicron was probably the best case scenario for an immune escape variant given its severity and the extremely high levels of recent immunity we have, and it still stretched our resources to the limit. There is very good reason to believe that it won't necessarily play out that way every time.

The risk of COVID will likely recede dramatically in the coming weeks and months, so I expect we will shift to quasi-permanent measures fairly quickly (at least provincially, the federal government is exceedingly slow to react). However, we also need to be prepared for the possibility that the period of COVID being a fairly negligible threat might be somewhat short lived. Between high vaccination rates, boosters, and a ton of infections, we are going to have an exceptional amount of recent immunity. But as I said above, that wanes. So it's still up in the air what level of vigilance we need to maintain (ie: vaccinations, future mitigation measures) to keep it that way in the longer term.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #2289
Just a guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
And so much of what's going on seems aimed to preserve a particular perspective. I'm at the point where I'm getting older, have assets, have kids, et c... so the restrictions don't affect me as much as they would have, say for example, 5 years ago. But they certainly do target young people to an extreme degree. I can still take issue with restrictions that don't affect me as being objectively unfair.
Totally agree. There seems to be an all or nothing vibe in a lot of attitudes. As I said there are a million stories and we should realize that one size does not fit all and try to walk a mile in others shoes to try to see how they fit. A lot of people would be surprised.
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #2290
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If hyperbole genuinely bothered you, you wouldnít call it out only in those expressing opinions you disagree with.

This whole thread has been a classic example of people holding others to radically different standards of behaviour depending on whether they feel theyíre on the same team or the opposing team.
Iím calling it out because it started with a complaint about others belittling posters. But not them. It has nothing to do with the stance.

But maybe you would have picked up on that had you not been so ready to call me because I express opinions you disagree with. See how dumb that sounded?

Next time Iíll make sure to pluck out every single example from the thread before posting. My apologies.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #2291
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Iím calling it out because it started with a complaint about others belittling posters. But not them. It has nothing to do with the stance.

But maybe you would have picked up on that had you not been so ready to call me because I express opinions you disagree with. See how dumb that sounded?

Next time Iíll make sure to pluck out every single example from the thread before posting. My apologies.
Scroopy, I did not make that statement either, that was Cowboy. Just so we are clear
Old 01-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #2292
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discussion seems pretty measured to me the last few pages.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:33 PM   #2293
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why hello covid, we meet at last.

Omicron outbreak at work (potentially). I'm honestly just surprised that it took this long.

Number of us worked with a positive case a couple days ago

I would imagine a couple of us have it, but nobody with any symptoms yet.

Spoke on a hotline to the HR person who directs us on covid matters and since we're in Alberta as long as we don't have symptoms I was told I am permitted to keep working, and to get tested at 5 days after exposure.

I feel odd about that since there are people who weren't exposed here today that I wouldn't want to be potentially spreading to.

Feels like an awkward spot to be in. I guess I will keep my distance and go get tested later.
djsFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #2294
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get tested where?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #2295
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kenney speaking at 3:30- and I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the starting point for the easing of restrictions... shortly before the covid hospitalization records are about to be set.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #2296
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Kenney speaking at 3:30- and I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the starting point for the easing of restrictions... shortly before the covid hospitalization records are about to be set.
He's probably just excited to be able to reject the premise of some questions on Madu.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 02:48 PM   #2297
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
That would be great but I don't know why he'd bother. Unless he's prepared to dump these masking restrictions or unleash the dome what would he change?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #2298
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
That would be great but I don't know why he'd bother. Unless he's prepared to dump these masking restrictions or unleash the dome what would he change?
To be honest, I would almost expect him to take action on reducing mandates as it very likely would not hurt him for approval ratings. He has already lost a large voting base so solidifying those looking for a easing of mandates makes sense politically.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:54 PM   #2299
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'd probably have leaks by now if he was announcing any changes. I suspect it's to get in front of the camera, maybe talk schools a bit, blame Ottawa for a lack of test kits, warn us we are still in a tough place, and that'll be it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #2300
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Why hello covid, we meet at last.

Omicron outbreak at work (potentially). I'm honestly just surprised that it took this long.
Us too, numerous day care outbreaks and here we are wondering when our daughter is going to finally bring it home. (If she hasn't already without us noticing...)

kevman is offline   Reply With Quote