Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #321
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Not easy enough to conceal, no one is going to notice one of these in the flowerbed until it says "Hiiiiiiii!":
I was going for the deterrent angle. I'd suspect an ED-209 out front would be a lot better at it than an ADT sign on your lawn.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #322
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd support laws that make it illegal for anyone to show up at or protest at an elected representatives home. There is zero reason for this, and is not helpful in a democracy. Kenney already made it illegal to protest at some places, just add this to the list.
And I would vehemently reject such a law. I'm fine with outlawing things that are harmful (noise, threats, obstruction) but protest itself should be legal. Not useful is not enough to ban something in a liberal country: it has to be unduly harmful, and expressing displeasure with someone outside of their home is not that. To pass such a law would imply that it is, and I would consider anyone who takes that position unfit to govern.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:34 PM   #323
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
And I would vehemently reject such a law. I'm fine with outlawing things that are harmful (noise, threats, obstruction) but protest itself should be legal. Not useful is not enough to ban something in a liberal country: it has to be unduly harmful, and expressing displeasure with someone outside of their home is not that. To pass such a law would imply that it is, and I would consider anyone who takes that position unfit to govern.
It's not making protests illegal. You really think it is OK to go to someones home and protest? In front of their families? Disrupting neighborhoods? You want to protest, go to city hall. I would object to banning protests there.

Unreal you think this is an OK thing to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #324
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially when those protesters make a habit of doing more than just protesting
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #325
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where are all these quiet protests that don't get in the way and inevitably threaten their target(s)?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #326
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Care to post your address so that those of us who disagree can come tell you in person?

If you were an individual of any prominence I’m sure we could track that in for down ourselves…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:56 PM   #327
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
It's not making protests illegal. You really think it is OK to go to someones home and protest? In front of their families?
As already stated, I think it meets the threshold for legality. You don't have to ask me again.

I don't believe the state has any business criminalizing victimless actions, nor do I think that being protested makes one a victim.

If I want to stand outside Kenney's house with a sign that says he's an ass, and you would have me arrested for that, then there is little that separates your ideology from that of a despot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Where are all these quiet protests that don't get in the way and inevitably threaten their target(s)?
Well, I've been part of at least one! So I can confidently say that not only is is theoretically possible, but in practice as well.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:05 PM   #328
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As already stated, I think it meets the threshold for legality. You don't have to ask me again.

I don't believe the state has any business criminalizing victimless actions, nor do I think that being protested makes one a victim.

If I want to stand outside Kenney's house with a sign that says he's an ass, and you would have me arrested for that, then there is little that separates your ideology from that of a despot.

Well, I've been part of at least one! So I can confidently say that not only is is theoretically possible, but in practice as well.
Private lives of politicians should be off limits. I don't see why that's a line that is despotic. How do we get good people to become politicians and make tough decisions, if they have to live with the threat of harassment of them and their families in their homes? Who needs that ####? It's entirely unnecessary, and does not infringe on your right to protest because you can do it at city hall. Honestly I think it's just ####ty way to treat people who are serving the public.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 PM   #329
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Private lives of politicians should be off limits.
Justify this. If I'm allowed to stand on your sidewalk to try to sell you a vacuum cleaner, or to tell a politician I disagree with their policies, what difference does it make? Or should both be illegal?

Fundamentally, protesting at a politician's home is freedom of movement, freedom of association, and freedom of expression. To infringe on those freedoms, there better be a good reason.

And I allow for good reasons. Threats, hate speech and excessive noise are all good reasons to limit expression. Obstruction is a good reason to limit freedom of movement (i.e. to preserve it for others). A viral pandemic is a good reason to limit association.

I just don't see a good reason why a political motivation necessitates extra restrictions.

Last edited by SebC; 01-19-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:20 PM   #330
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Justify this. If I'm allowed to stand on your sidewalk to try to sell you a vacuum cleaner, or to tell you I disagree with your policies, what difference does it make? Or should both be illegal?
I did justify it in the following sentences. Some laws are just generally about making society a better place, and do not remove your right to protest.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 PM   #331
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me, protesting outside someone's home makes you as much of a jerk as protesting at a hospital. Want to protest in front of a government office, business, busy street? Go for it. All people, regardless of their job, should be allowed peaceful enjoyment of their home, without someone standing on the sidewalk, calling them an idiot.

I want good people to run for office and if protestors can hang out at their homes, the only ones who run will end up being people like Jason Kenney, who are looking for a fight.

I want the politicians who are elected to have some breathing space at home where they can "turn off" the job for a bit, so they can be refreshed. Having protestors outside your house doesn't allow that.

Many politicians live with others. Those people should not be subjected to the harassment or fear of protestors in front of their house, just because their parent, spouse, sibling, child, whatever, is a politician.

And finally, if a vacuum cleaner salesman ever show up at my door, I can tell him to leave and close the door. The protestors I've seen don't come across as quite so cooperative.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 08:52 PM   #332
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Many politicians live with others. Those people should not be subjected to the harassment or fear of protestors in front of their house, just because their parent, spouse, sibling, child, whatever, is a politician.
Not to mention their neighbors as well
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 08:56 PM   #333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, a street in a residential neighbourhood is no place for a protest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 PM   #334
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ basically Hitler
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #335
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Welp, looks like the bunglers down at city hall got one thing right. According to this article, Calgary is cleanest city on the planet!

https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/1...HyVpKgiwAG5atl
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #336
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Police looking into the possibility of charging people that protest at private residences

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ission-meeting
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #337
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Calgary Police looking into the possibility of charging people that protest at private residences

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ission-meeting
Yeah I'm ok with that.

Dislike their decisions and policies all you want.

Protest at City Hall all you want.

Leave homes and families out of it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #338
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah I'm ok with that.

Dislike their decisions and policies all you want.

Protest at City Hall all you want.

Leave homes and families out of it.
Yes that's perfect. Protesting and freedom of speech is a public right for a public space. You should have no expectation of that at a private/personal residence.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #339
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

And on her 100th day in office Jyoti no longer has Carter as her chief of staff. Sounds like he got the boot.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #340
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
And on her 100th day in office Jyoti no longer has Carter as her chief of staff. Sounds like he got the boot.
Awesome news! Now maybe she can act like she's trying to run a city and not pre-emptively setting up the narrative for the 2025 re-election campaign against a Murray Edwards sponsored stooge.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote