Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #901
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Bennett hit Bieksa after, possibly in response to this elbow.

But yes, if you read my post again I'm not saying the refs did a bad job. Hard to argue that considering the 5-0 PP advantage.

But it's interesting the standard changed from game 2 to 3 regarding late shots to players already on the ice.
The key components is late shots to guys known to instigate. It is the retaliation that they get, not often the initial goonery.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #902
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
One positive: if the Flames lose tomorrow, it'll be the last time they'll ever wear those god-awful jerseys.
I rather like their jerseys.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #903
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't. The piping and flags are not cool or aesthetic.

Really hoping the next ones are an improvement.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #904
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the league is legitimately trying to encourage puck skills and have a decent standard of regulation, then teams like the Ducks are the last that should be protected by the league. They're really good at getting away with cheap stuff and playing just beyond the line of what's allowed in a way that gives them an advantage. This is a real strength of their play as long as the league makes it such, but the way it disadvantages teams that don't play like that is counterproductive to what the league is supposedly trying to achieve in terms of creating an environment that encourages skilled play and discourages goonery. The more the league implicitly encourages this stuff while voicing and intention to clean the game up, the worse the league and the refs end up looking.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #905
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
People keep going on about the penalties being 5-0 but there was all kinds of this stuff going on. The penalties could have been 25-2 and it still wouldn't have covered it all. The God damn ducks just continue to get away with this crap game in game out

This! - yes we had 5 pp to zero, but the Ducks were getting away with all sorts of shenanigans in the 2nd and 3rd last night.

The biggest hate I have in all this bulls**t that this series has become. Is the Dougie Hamilton holding call in a 2-2 game late in the 3rd.
Then top it off they Give Brodie a crosschecking penalty (which was such and obvious embellishment) with under 3 remaining in a 1 goal game.

This crap infuriates me ... sooo many things in this series grinds my gears
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #906
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Just saying calls get missed for both teams. Lots of missed calls. Did you see the call in the Boston game yesterday? Seems kind of lame to be using the victim card when you had a powerplay advantage of 5-0.

And Ducks are dirty but Flames aren't angels themselves. You guys have a name across the league now for being dirty.
Huh?
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #907
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the refs called a good game last night, but it was interesting that Bieksa got away with this elbow to the head to a player already down on the ice considering Brodie got that crosschecking to Kesler at the end of game 2:

Link
https://gfycat.com/WarmSecretIberianbarbel
Wow, should be a suspension. Elbow to the back of the head of an unsuspecting player? What a scumbag.

Can someone post a gif of Bennet crushing him to cheer me up?
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #908
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
If I never hear another CPer whine about missed penalties and high stick goals that should have been called back, I'll die a happy man.

It's a game officiated by humans, they aren't going to be perfect. That doesn't mean that there is a league-wide conspiracy or that the Ducks have footage of Bettman sodomizing a chicken that they are threatening to upload.

We got a lot of calls our way last night, and STILL people come here to whine.

Seriously? Embarassing.
Have you ever considered logging out and never returning? Pretty cheap price to pay to die a happy man.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #909
Blixa
Farm Team Player

Exp:

What about the crosscheck by Eaves to Hamilton, is he out of disicpline or veteran player doing nice play. If brodie does this kind of stuff, he get's penalty. After that ducks did the high stick goal.
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #910
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the refs called a good game last night, but it was interesting that Bieksa got away with this elbow to the head to a player already down on the ice considering Brodie got that crosschecking to Kesler at the end of game 2:

Link
https://gfycat.com/WarmSecretIberianbarbel
Can we request an AC video project for the off-season that just compiles all the brutal, b.s. missed calls the Flames have dealt with this year?

When I see something like that and Perry punching guys on the bench with a ref right next to him, I just feel totally fed-up with the league for not having its enforcement act together. Maybe even a video of all the brutal and dangerous missed calls against from any team needs created for circulation among all hockey fans. The inconsistency just taints the game.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #911
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
If the league is legitimately trying to encourage puck skills and have a decent standard of regulation, then teams like the Ducks are the last that should be protected by the league. They're really good at getting away with cheap stuff and playing just beyond the line of what's allowed in a way that gives them an advantage. This is a real strength of their play as long as the league makes it such, but the way it disadvantages teams that don't play like that is counterproductive to what the league is supposedly trying to achieve in terms of creating an environment that encourages skilled play and discourages goonery. The more the league implicitly encourages this stuff while voicing and intention to clean the game up, the worse the league and the refs end up looking.
The Ducks aren't a juggernaut playoff team as the last Ducks coach got fired because of the annual playoff failures. It seems it's really only the Flames that have an issue with their antics as most of their playoff opponents seem to have little issue beating them.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #912
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Ducks aren't a juggernaut playoff team as the last Ducks coach got fired because of the annual playoff failures. It seems it's really only the Flames that have an issue with their antics as most of their playoff opponents seem to have little issue beating them.
My point isn't that they're a juggernaut team. I'm just saying that the way they, or other teams like them, play is just what the NHL should be trying to straighten out if they want a league with less goons and a clearer focus on puck skills.

When a team is able to shift the standard of play in a game towards being cheap and another team either suffers or follows suit, then the rules of the game are no longer defining the standard of play. I think CPkitty made the point in another thread that it's also absurd that something stops being a penalty because a team has already taken some penalties. In other games it has felt like the standards for penalties are flipping between being strictly enforced and not at all. It's this inconsistency that is the problem.

The Ducks obviously have a tonne of puck skills too, so I'm not suggesting otherwise. It's just that the way the league handles a lot of the cheap plays incentivises complementing skills with cheap, violent plays as well. Together with having no idea what will and won't be called a penalty from game to game, or even play to play, the NHL is failing hard in terms of clearly prioritising puck skills over violence and cheap shots.

Edit: The last Oilers games are another example of this. In one game Kassian charging all over the ice goes uncalled and contributes to an important win for the Oilers, in the next game the refs call a bunch of penalties and the Oilers get killed on special teams. Who knows what the standards of enforcement really are? Does the league want the violence or not?

Last edited by JohnnyB; 04-19-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #913
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://streamable.com/yrl1j

Perry's punching play during the 2nd goal. Elliott continues to get criticized for letting in goal #2, but I continue to stand by my statement that goal #2 should never have counted in the first place.

Nice to see you're allowed to punch players on the bench multiple times, not get a penalty/misconduct (as the offical pulls you away), then can score the game winning goal in OT. Even the players on the bench didn't retaliate because they know it's a PENALTY to touch another player on the ice while you're sitting.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #914
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
https://streamable.com/yrl1j

Perry's punching play during the 2nd goal. Elliott continues to get criticized for letting in goal #2, but I continue to stand by my statement that goal #2 should never have counted in the first place.

Nice to see you're allowed to punch players on the bench multiple times, not get a penalty/misconduct (as the offical pulls you away), then can score the game winning goal in OT. Even the players on the bench didn't retaliate because they know it's a PENALTY to touch another player on the ice while you're sitting.
Sigh.

Can't believe the crap the Ducks get away with.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #915
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I love that you can see Tkachuk jump down, and hide the stick before Perry can reach it.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #916
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

What did Perry expect? The Flames would just hand him his stick? If it was the other way around you know Perry is doing the same thing as Tkachuk.

Tkachuk and his constant chewing of the mouthguard drives me crazy though. JVR does it all the time too and it really bothers me for some reason.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote