Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Aaaaand new sig
Want to double up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I'll eat pubes if they come back and win. If me eating some ball-fro makes them the 5th team in history to do it, I'll take one for the team.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #842
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Still really confused as to why the play wasn't at least whistled dead when Perry is punching players at the Calgary bench on the 2nd goal. I can understand the refs not wanting to penalize Anaheim again, but you need to stop the play at minimum.

Since midway through the 2nd period, the Flames starting playing very tentative. They knew that the next infraction was going to be called against them with the majority of PPs going in their favor already. They really took their feet off the gas and struggled to establish much of anything. They were playing scared. Certainly not the sole reason they lost last night (there were many factors already discussed), but it is clear this team isn't mentally ready to win in the playoffs or play with the big boys.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #843
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Same here. It's utterly ridiculous that a grown man can be this wiped out emotionally by a damn hockey game. It's pathetic really.
Totally. I don't think I've ever witnessed such a consistently painful series game in and game out like this. Game 2 and 3 especially ripped my heart out to the point it totally has affected my mood the following day, which I'm usually really good for not doing. Even game 1 with that 3-on-0 goal which turned around a game we had taken over was nauseating.

The worst part is, given the opponent, I think we all knew this series was going to be super frustrating and probably end with us golfing. But then the true fan comes out of you, and you forget all that and buy in that we'll win, only to be painfully reminded of "nope, you won't!" with the excruciating way every game has ended. Rinse, repeat every 2nd day. I can't take the heartache anymore, I kind of just want it to end at this point. No more freakin Ducks, I'm so done with looking at their punch-worthy faces.

This series has been so consistently painful that I wasn't even able to watch playoff hockey the day after game 2, and probably tonight as well. If we do get swept, I may have to take the rest of this NHL playoff round and maybe even the next round off. This years' playoffs has just been too cruel, I need a break methinks.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #844
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Same here. It's utterly ridiculous that a grown man can be this wiped out emotionally by a damn hockey game. It's pathetic really.
I know my friend. But this is what sports does to you. We constantly live on the edge in between a state of happiness and sadness depending on how the team performs. Sometimes I wish I was never a sports fan so that I can never be this emotionally invested in it. It's cruel really. But it's an addiction. Once you're in you are hooked and there is no getting out.
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #845
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzarish View Post
I know my friend. But this is what sports does to you. We constantly live on the edge in between a state of happiness and sadness depending on how the team performs. Sometimes I wish I was never a sports fan so that I can never be this emotionally invested in it. It's cruel really. But it's an addiction. Once you're in you are hooked and there is no getting out.
Glad others are saying this. Was thinking the same thing this morning that an adult can be so bummed out by something like a hockey game. It's completely ridiculous but happens none the less.

Even woke up at like 3 in the morning and was immediately overcome with disappointment.

Really is absurd.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #846
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
1990, 1991, 1994 & 1995 all featured heartcrushing, soul-destroying OT games too. In fact, the game winner last night was eerily similar to Ray Whitney's 2OT game-7 goal on the hapless Trevor Kidd.
ahhhh the "Great" Kidder with his mullet. Elliott suddenly doesn't look as bad, as that game 7 vs the Sharks was the WORST playoff performance by a Flames goalie ever!

I'm pretty sure the Flames set a NHL record for most goals in a playoff series that series too.
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #847
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Right.

But Montour & Holzer =/= Engelland & Bartkowski.

And further, it doesn't matter at all how the Ducks deploy their roster. It matters how the Flames deploy theirs, because those are the horses you have in the race.

The evidence is pretty damning that the bottom half of our roster, and their over use, is a key contributing factor to why we are down three games to zero.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be playing our bottom pairing and our fourth line. They need to be played. But they need to be played in such a way that they don't get repeatedly victimized.

Literally go back and look at each goal the ducks have scored this series.

I am not constructing a false narrative.

I've constructed why we are losing, and backed it up with video evidence.

Elliott can't make a save. Reason #1.

Our third pairing and fourth line is reason #2.
You haven't backed it up with video evidence, what you've shown is one of the most absolutely classic examples of confirmation bias.

Our third pairing and fourth line is not worse than the Ducks' currently. It's fairly common knowledge around the NHL that third pairings and fourth lines are the worst parts of every single team. That's primarily why they're played the least, it's why they're the fourth, not the third, second, or first.

Just how little did you want them to play? As it stands right now, Bouma and Stajan are the 7th and 9th least played forwards in the entire NHL, of all players who have played 3 games. The only other team that has two forwards in the bottom 10 is Anaheim (with NYR not far behind).

What about Bart and Eng? Surprise, they're the third least played pairing in the entire NHL right now.

There is no damning evidence that points towards overuse of the bottom pairing or fourth line. I'm not sure what your theory is on exactly how much they should be played, but there's little evidence from NHL coaches anywhere in the league that supports your vision of how to roll lines.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #848
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Did GG say anything note worthy after the game?
It was short he looked sick, sad the team didn't play their game in the third. He wasn't harsh on Elliot but wasn't defending him. Seemed like he didn't really want to talk about it with the media. He just wanted to leave the building.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #849
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't understand these emotions as a flames fan. Did no one know exactly what was going to happen when the ducks scored the 4-3 goal?

Honestly, do some of you actually 'expect' the team to be successful in the post season? Why? The team has only been out of the first round 8 times in their entire history, and 6 of those times happened prior to 1990.

Every time the flames make it by the first round it is so exhilarating because it is so shocking as to be a borderline miracle. The highs have never been that high and the lows have been so low and so frequent that I question the expectation some poster last just have to be so down trodden.

The fact they are here is gravy, this kind of crushing disappointment I just don't understand. I was far more upset in game 6 2006 than any point in the last decade including last night's loss.

It's part and parcel of being a flames fan.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #850
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kristen Odland‏ @Kristen_Odland

Flames were supposed to be on at 11:30 ... no sign of life at the Dome yet.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #851
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Kristen Odland‏ @Kristen_Odland

Flames were supposed to be on at 11:30 ... no sign of life at the Dome yet.
They don't deserve to be on the ice
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #852
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You haven't backed it up with video evidence, what you've shown is one of the most absolutely classic examples of confirmation bias.

Our third pairing and fourth line is not worse than the Ducks' currently. It's fairly common knowledge around the NHL that third pairings and fourth lines are the worst parts of every single team. That's primarily why they're played the least, it's why they're the fourth, not the third, second, or first.

Just how little did you want them to play? As it stands right now, Bouma and Stajan are the 7th and 9th least played forwards in the entire NHL, of all players who have played 3 games. The only other team that has two forwards in the bottom 10 is Anaheim (with NYR not far behind).

What about Bart and Eng? Surprise, they're the third least played pairing in the entire NHL right now.

There is no damning evidence that points towards overuse of the bottom pairing or fourth line. I'm not sure what your theory is on exactly how much they should be played, but there's little evidence from NHL coaches anywhere in the league that supports your vision of how to roll lines.
Ok, so maybe they’ve played as few minutes as possible…. Guess they can’t be sheltered any further and just aren’t up to par to play on this team/in this league.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #853
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

it would be nice if some posters would actually address this.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #854
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't understand these emotions as a flames fan. Did no one know exactly what was going to happen when the ducks scored the 4-3 goal?

Honestly, do some of you actually 'expect' the team to be successful in the post season? Why? The team has only been out of the first round 8 times in their entire history, and 6 of those times happened prior to 1990.

Every time the flames make it by the first round it is so exhilarating because it is so shocking as to be a borderline miracle. The highs have never been that high and the lows have been so low and so frequent that I question the expectation some poster last just have to be so down trodden.

The fact they are here is gravy, this kind of crushing disappointment I just don't understand. I was far more upset in game 6 2006 than any point in the last decade including last night's loss.

It's part and parcel of being a flames fan.
Yeah I kinda thought Flames were going to crap the bed in the third when it was 4-3. For me my biggest kick in the nuts was the series in 1994. Losing three straight ot's when leading the series 3-1, that was too much to take. Then the next season to see Flames adding black and wearing that pedistal jersey BARF!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #855
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They allowed 9 shots in the third and OT combined...3 of them went in

"there's your problem"

people talk like the Flames were on the ropes or something, its just not true
Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #856
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

NSFW!
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #857
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson‏Verified account @WesGilbertson 22s23 seconds ago
More
Three goalies and five skaters on ice for #Flames very-optional.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #858
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I think Bartkowski and Engelland got all that ice-time late in the third last night because Hamilton was clearly hurt. If Gulutzan could adapt he should've swapped Hamitlon for Engelland and iced only two pairings for the rest of the game. But as we've seen, Gulutzan wants that damn square peg to do what it's told.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #859
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
NSFW!
That's funny.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #860
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
NSFW!
That would be more applicable of in the last frame a ref came in a took a #### on the guys head while he was lying there from his self inflicted crash.

It would also be more applicable if the bike was the Flames, and the guy sticking the pipe in the spokes was Elliot, and then the ref came in and took a dump on the bike.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: