Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #121
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think literally everyone in the city has heard from someone that the Flames might move.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #122
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Seems like a proper whisper campaign is alive and amoungst us. Quick tell a friend you heard the team is moving.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #123
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Could have sworn the Oilers were moving as well.
The Oilers tried to move, but all of the cities said no thanks we'll wait for an expansion roster.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #124
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
do they give a price tag on those two items in the bid doc?

Cost for a 7500 capacity arena is around $100 mm CDN. Scale that down and add in some money for the Saddledome and it sounds like the city allocating $150mm for arena to me.
No, the costs aren't broken down that much. They talked about a 280M fieldhouse previously and with the new facilities collectively pegged at 403M you can probably figure that the estimate on the new mid-sized arena would be 123M give or take.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #125
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I think literally everyone in the city has heard from someone that the Flames might move.
Oh for sure, leak sensitive information to create panic etc..
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #126
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Direct from Edwards?

I get that this is a fantasy of those who think Nenshi has screwed this entire thing up, and no one thinks that more than Murr, I'd imagine, but until it makes sense from even a single angle (it doesn't), I don't believe it.
Direct from a family member that does work at the saddledome and knows everyone well. The other was just a "my friend heard this."

Would not be surprised if it is a grassroots way to get people on their side.

If things go sideways again on negotiations just do not discount it as a serious possibility (esp. Houston)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #127
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

The team absolutely will move if there isn't a new arena in place or no progress within the next couple years.

End of the day I think i'd get more out of my property taxes if they went to a new arena, because lord knows they don't go to maintaining the roads around my house or responding to complaints on 311
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #128
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
The team absolutely will move if there isn't a new arena in place or no progress within the next couple years.

End of the day I think i'd get more out of my property taxes if they went to a new arena, because lord knows they don't go to maintaining the roads around my house or responding to complaints on 311
How does a private enterprise getting sweetheart corporate welfare then turning around and charging 25-40% for the same product end up as getting more out of your property taxes in your mind?

Please explain this completely ridiculous statement.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #129
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would explain all the Americans willing to sign with the Flames long term. The team is US bound in two years. /snark
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #130
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

And don't worry, we can watch most of the current Calgary Flames repping Team USA in 7.5 years at the perfectly Adequate Saddledome. We can all dust off our Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Hanifin jerseys for one last C of Red. USA! USA! USA!
RM14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #131
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the NHL is going to give up that half a billion worth of sweet expansion cash so the Flames can move to Seattle instead. Makes the sense.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #132
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
I'm sure this has already been reported/discussed as it's not the first time I have heard it but my brother mentioned the other day that he heard from a very good source that there's a strong chance the team will be leaving for Seattle or Houston in the next few years.

I was furious!
Lol

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #133
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Seems like a proper whisper campaign is alive and amoungst us. Quick tell a friend you heard the team is moving.
We should start a counter campaign that despite any threats of moving, there is no feasible location for the franchise to move to that would bring similar or more profits than Calgary.
It's true, I heard it from Edwards himself on the London Underground.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #134
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Purple monkey dishwasher
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #135
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
I'm sure this has already been reported/discussed as it's not the first time I have heard it but my brother mentioned the other day that he heard from a very good source that there's a strong chance the team will be leaving for Seattle or Houston in the next few years.

I was furious!
His good source is full of crap. There is absolutely no chance the Flames move, they are a cash cow for the NHL as well as the battle of Alberta. There is a better chance I will ride naked down Crowfoot on a unicycle with a giant Oilers tattoo on my back and a Canucks one on my chest at which time I will be struck by lightning 46 times in a row.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #136
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
His good source is full of crap. There is absolutely no chance the Flames move, they are a cash cow for the NHL as well as the battle of Alberta. There is a better chance I will ride naked down Crowfoot on a unicycle with a giant Oilers tattoo on my back and a Canucks one on my chest at which time I will be struck by lightning 46 times in a row.
So you're saying there is a chance?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #137
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Well the NHL awarded Rogers the big TV deal despite fully knowing that Rogers put on an inferior product. Apparently Bettman had an adversarial relationship with George Cope (Bell) to the point where TSN didn't even get a chance to match or up Rogers offer. TSN (Bell) also got shut out of the World Cup Hockey broadcasting rights so the NHL is not above sticking it to those that don't play by their rules. It's safe to say Nenshi has an adversarial relationship with Bettman and the Flames and I certainly believe they could stick it to Nenshi and city council. Do I think it will happen? No. Do I think it can happen? Yes.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #138
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I will continue to say, if the Flames moved there would be several owners who would quickly apply for relocation into Calgary, because even in the Dome they'd be far more financially viable than in their current markets. Moving the Flames, with multiple markets in financial dire straits, would likely lead to huge fan backlash across Canada, nevermind the potential legal fights that are out there as well.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #139
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Moving the Flames, with multiple markets in financial dire straits, would likely lead to huge fan backlash across Canada
You mean like the huge fan backlash that happened when the Nordiques and the original Jets relocated?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #140
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those were completely different times and all, but that's ok, we can definitely assume the context is the same.