Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #601
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or, just move towards banning guns outright, problem solved. No one really needs them, they're killing machines that really don't serve any other purpose than to create destruction. There's been just way too many fatal incidents, time and again, to really understand why anyone would need one all. I know nobody who owns a gun, or desires one, or has ever needed one to survive on this Earth. Humans simply cannot be trusted anymore to own devices like this.

Now, I'll bunker myself down and prepare for the disco freakout that will inevitably come from the gun-loving fanatics.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #602
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Or, just move towards banning guns outright, problem solved.
the only thing that makes sense, really. But try arguing that in a country where they shoot each other and call it patriotism.

even if you banned guns there tomorrow, you'd probably still look at decades of more shootings because every potential shooter probably owns one already. And since they'll never ban guns ... ThE ViDeO GaMeS DiD iT.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #603
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So do you want no guns on earth? This would be absolutely impossible at this point. Or just no guns in regular citizens' hands? The criminals and people bent on doing these mass shootings will never give up what they already have. The regular law abiding collector/hunter/enthusiast will have his guns taken away and society will be no safer. The militaries and police forces will still have guns and they kill far more people than the whack jobs. I don't see a solution that would actually work, just a knee jerk, politically correct action that will accomplish nothing.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #604
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or, just move towards banning guns outright, problem solved. No one really needs them, they're killing machines that really don't serve any other purpose than to create destruction. There's been just way too many fatal incidents, time and again, to really understand why anyone would need one all. I know nobody who owns a gun, or desires one, or has ever needed one to survive on this Earth. Humans simply cannot be trusted anymore to own devices like this.

Now, I'll bunker myself down and prepare for the disco freakout that will inevitably come from the gun-loving fanatics.
What in the fu... ???!!!???

You're infringing upon my god given rights to bear arms and blow #### up!!!

Oh, wait a second. You know, you're right. I actually completely agree with you. As much fun as shooting is, I would happily give up every single gun and round of ammo I have if every other person in the world would do the same. There really is no reason to own these things. Jeez, I was born and raised in Canada and only touched a gun out visiting the farm or duck hunting. There was never any reason to own one. But moving to the Excited States of America changed all of that. The culture of fear crept in and my confidence in the government to maintain control affected my decision.

I don't own guns because I'm afraid of my government or their desire to take my rights away - only I can do that by allowing them to do so. I own guns because there is an element in this country that is anti-government and anti-society, hoping and praying for the day when society will eat itself and all hell will break loose. In that potential scenario I am going to have to protect myself and my family until order can be restored or we can escape to safety of another sane country. But if that element was to lose their guns, there would be no reason for me to have mine, and I would happily turn them in. I could then spend more time on a different range and become a better shot with my 9 iron instead of my 9mm!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #605
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the only thing that makes sense, really. But try arguing that in a country where they shoot each other and call it patriotism.

even if you banned guns there tomorrow, you'd probably still look at decades of more shootings because every potential shooter probably owns one already. And since they'll never ban guns ... ThE ViDeO GaMeS DiD iT.
Well no, not really. Every country has guns in some fashion or another and have their reasons for it.

Banning guns entirely is stupid for a number of reasons:

- It swings the needle entirely too far in the opposite direction and would garner no traction or support and actually be detrimental to the concept of legislating gun ownership.

- It would be flat out impossible to enforce. It would effectively be 'Gun Prohibition' and fail miserably for the obvious reasons.

- It would be too much and fail.

We dont have to phase gun ownership out of existence, it just has to be reined in to a reasonable level for reasonable need.

Many countries still allow citizens to own guns and dont face even remotely similar issues regarding gun violence.

It can be done.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #606
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outright ban is too far. But I am in favour of increased gun control and licensing. They don't even need to go as far as Canada, just licensing and testing even
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #607
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I don't see a solution that would actually work, just a knee jerk, politically correct action that will accomplish nothing.
There is a solution, change all violent video games to be about how you get to Sunday School on time. If you're late then you have to button mash to repent your sins
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #608
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Outright ban is too far. But I am in favour of increased gun control and licensing. They don't even need to go as far as Canada, just licensing and testing even
Why not ban guns completely, but permit only non-lethal devices like tasers for self-defense purposes? Why do we need ownership of lethal devices at all?
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #609
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
What in the fu... ???!!!???
I own guns because there is an element in this country that is anti-government and anti-society, hoping and praying for the day when society will eat itself and all hell will break loose.
You really think your neighbours will turn into a bloodthirsty militia that will lead to complete societal collapse?

That is the kind of paranoia that makes me concerned for people rationalizing owning guns.

I hope you're being sarcastic. I can't tell.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #610
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
No need for changes or suggestions. Let's go live in peter12's chauvinistic 18th century religious utopia
I have suddenly realised Peter is just JRM giving vent to his love of hockey
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #611
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one needs an assault rifle in their home. No one. Own them sure - but they don't leave the gun range except to be transported to another gun range.

Rifles/pistols/shotguns sure - but the process to own one legally should be so goddamn horrible it's not worth the effort. Then you know that only the most dedicated and vetted people are holding them.

That way - if you get caught with an illegal firearm, the charge should be equal to attempted murder because that should be the only logical reason you're possessing one illegally - to murder someone with it during the commission of a crime.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #612
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

The American people will continue to live in a fantasy world where they're theoretically protecting themselves against a tyrannical government; where the theoretical "good guy with a gun" exists; where the mighty gun is the symbol of absolute, hard-fought freedom.

If Newtown didn't make them wake up to reality, there is no hope.

It just really sucks that because of these delusional people, I have to look up the security measures in place at Disney World and decide how much to teach my kids about ducking and covering.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #613
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why didn't they just make Rees-Mogg the leader? It wouldn't be any more embarrassing a selection than Boris Johnson and it'd be far, far more entertaining.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 08-06-2019 at 04:50 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #614
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why not ban guns completely, but permit only non-lethal devices like tasers for self-defense purposes? Why do we need ownership of lethal devices at all?
I'll meet you in the middle. Ban lethal ammo. This way collectors and target shooters aren't screwed over
Old 08-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #615
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You really think your neighbours will turn into a bloodthirsty militia that will lead to complete societal collapse?

That is the kind of paranoia that makes me concerned for people rationalizing owning guns.

I hope you're being sarcastic. I can't tell.
There's a lot of sarcasm in that post, but there is a lot of truth too. If everyone didn't have guns the world would be a better place.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #616
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing US Mass Shooting Thread 2

Quote:
My guess is just because they're so popular. They're in video games, movies and TV, they've been the weapon of choice of special forces for decades. In the states they're not terribly expensive. People buy fake aimpoint or eotech sites and put them on Airsoft AR15s just to look "tacticool"

This. Not blaming video games but if you’ve been playing soldier half your life shooting things up with a cool rifle you’re not likely to grab a pistol for the real thing.

Edit: playing soldier/shooter in video games. Not referring to actual soldiers, to be clear.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #617
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I have suddenly realised Peter is just JRM giving vent to his love of hockey

Far, far, far more like Gary from Veep.

Last edited by peter12; 08-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #618
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Was that effective fire?

I'm not a great shooter but I hit the target 15 out of 29 the second time holding it. And how effective does one need to be firing into a crowd of people.?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #619
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll meet you in the middle. Ban lethal ammo. This way collectors and target shooters aren't screwed over
I know very little about guns. Is this a thing?
PugnaciousIntern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #620
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I know very little about guns. Is this a thing?
Which part?