Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #1361
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Bennett is also averaging 9 minutes in ice time this season. Now obviously it’s early, but I don’t see him getting any PP time or 1st line minutes like he got last season. Every player is in charge of their own career and need to show without a shadow of a doubt that they belong where they belong and unfortunately for Sam Bennett, he hasn’t proven or earned a top 6 role yet. He might down the road as he’s young, but there’s guarantee he will.

Also, Taylor Hall scored at a rate of a 90 point player and finished top 10 in scoring before he was shipped to New Jersey. So had shown that he had that ability before, Sam Bennett has not shown that he can do that. So Taylor Hall and Sam Bennett are not comparables in my eyes.
Keep in mind the 9 minutes is 7 + 7 + 14 with the coach saying they needed to get Bennett more minutes.

Given how well he played on that line, he may not be going back to the 7 minute guy at least for now.

The key is what does he do with it?

I still maintain it's 85% mental with this guy and once he gets established in a role and can trust it he will become more productive.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #1362
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If Bennett gets better and shows some offensive prowess I have no doubt he could work his way into the top 6 on the Flames.

I feel like our top 5 players are locked in but still think there is a winger spot that hasn't been hammered down as of yet.

Czarnik is looking good on the 2nd line but he has by no means solidified his role there.

Neal didn't look like a fit with 19 and 11 so he is already on the 3rd line looking to find some chemistry.

I feel like the door is wide open for Bennett, Czarnik, Neal or Dube to solidify a role in the top 6. Tkachuk would play just fine on the RW if required, Peters even asked him to work on board play etc. as if he was a RWer over the summer.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk

..wouldn't be that crazy of a thought if Bennett started to turn things up and realize his potential.
And I'd add to that the secondary battle to build a third line that can add to the momentum of the first two.

Neal is a given, but then you have a bunch of choices looking for a left wing and center that can create offence with Neal.

Ryan had a shot and was demoted. Dube is getting that second look, but it could be Jankowski's before long.

Bennett stirred the drink from the left side the other night so that's a good start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #1363
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Though many would disagree, I thought he always got shots like this, and he never did much with them, for whatever reason. But really strong game from Bennett the other night, and solidified a spot there (for now anyway). Would be fantastic for a little puck luck to fall his way, for a change. A bit of confidence/swagger could go a long way - otherwise it starts to become yet another year when Bennett goes pointless for a long stretch to start a season.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #1364
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Though many would disagree, I thought he always got shots like this, and he never did much with them, for whatever reason. But really strong game from Bennett the other night, and solidified a spot there (for now anyway). Would be fantastic for a little puck luck to fall his way, for a change. A bit of confidence/swagger could go a long way - otherwise it starts to become yet another year when Bennett goes pointless for a long stretch to start a season.
I agree, he has had his chances. I hope he takes this as a jolt and starts going with better linemates, it would go along way if he would figure it out and we can put this talk about him behind us. I still think its too early to let him go.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #1365
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Keep in mind the 9 minutes is 7 + 7 + 14 with the coach saying they needed to get Bennett more minutes.

Given how well he played on that line, he may not be going back to the 7 minute guy at least for now.

The key is what does he do with it?

I still maintain it's 85% mental with this guy and once he gets established in a role and can trust it he will become more productive.
I think he also just needs the puck to go in for him and his line.

If you look at his individual production outside of Goals and Points he's actually still creating a lot of chances and creates a ton of rebounds and really only had a subpar sophomore season.

2015/2016:
Individual Scoring Chance For - 132 (2nd)
Individual High Danger For - 64 (T-1st)
Rebounds Created - 17 (1st)
Individual Shooting Percentage - 13.21% (5th)
On Ice Shooting Percentage - 8.59%

2016/2017:
Individual Scoring Chance For - 113 (6th)
Individual High Danger For - 50 (6th)
Rebounds Created - 9 (9th)
Individual Shooting Percentage - 7.55% (11th)
On Ice Shooting Percentage - 6.22%

2017/2018:
Individual Scoring Chance For - 164 (T-1st)
Individual High Danger For - 75 (2nd)
Rebounds Created - 22 (2nd)
Individual Shooting Percentage - 7.04 (6th)
On Ice Shooting Percentage - 5.66%

If you look at him and Monahans scoring chance numbers and High Danger numbers they were pretty much identical in Bennett's 1st and 3rd full seasons. And in 2 out of his 3 full seasons on the team he's been either first or second in individual scoring chances created, High Danger chances created, and rebounds created - that ranked him in the top 40 in the league in each category in 17/18 and doesn't scream 4th liner who should be playing 7-10 minutes a night to me.

The team just needs to do a better job of putting the guy in a position to succeed with more skilled linemates and if that happens hopefully the puck actually starts going in the net when he is on the ice. (Probably needs to work on his shot and maybe change his stick too lol)

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #1366
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

If Bennett is the guy to find mojo with Neal his season, and potentially his career is saved.

Will it be Bennett? Dube? Jankowski? Ryan? Frolik? ... one of these guys has to get stapled to the sniper and they're set.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #1367
Fire It Up
Draft Pick

Quote:
If Bennett is the guy to find mojo with Neal his season, and potentially his career is saved.

Will it be Bennett? Dube? Jankowski? Ryan? Frolik? ... one of these guys has to get stapled to the sniper and they're set.
Further to that, I would think if he is to find his mojo with Neal, why not try him once again at Center? We drafted him as a Center perhaps he has a better shot of finding his groove with wingers that have pace and sniping ability on his wings. Based on how the bottom 6 Center's have been rotated so far, I don't see how this can hurt since we are still trying to find some stability there. I'd go for bottom six:

Dube-Bennett-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Peluso/Hathaway
Fire It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #1368
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Ok. I know we love to call Neal a sniper. And talk about 20 goal seasons. Can we get a quick reality check?

Neal once got 40 riding shotgun with Crosby. Nice. The last 2 years he is average 24 goals and 42 points in 70 games.

Brouwer, the 2 years before coming to Calgary, averaged 19 goals and 41 points.

These things are not so different.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #1369
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Ok. I know we love to call Neal a sniper. And talk about 20 goal seasons. Can we get a quick reality check?

Neal once got 40 riding shotgun with Crosby. Nice. The last 2 years he is average 24 goals and 42 points in 70 games.

The point is valid, but for me the key is how they score goals. Neal is a sniper. Brouwer was never that. What Neal doesn't have is other attributes that allows him to product beyond that 40-50 point total. But in terms of a guy who can find the back of the net, when given a good look, I do believe he is that. But he needs help driving the offense. He doesn't drive it himself.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 10-11-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #1370
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
How many guys will truly have career seasons under Gulutzan? Maybe Backlund? I suspect Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk etc will all fat surpass the good years they had. Monahan and Gaudreau took a step back in GG’s first year before taking a step forward last year.
Ferland.
Hamilton
Tkachuk
Monahan
Gaudreau

All players that did well under GG. Again, you can't blame him for the lack of progression player while dismissing that other players did well.
I'm glad GG is gone. Let's just be clear on that.
But I think in the context of individual player performance, I don't blame him for Sam's lack of production.
It is amazing to me how many goals he's had called back so there's some luck. But I agree with Bingo it is largely mental and that has manifested itself in a player that gets down on himself, and then makes really bad decisions in the game in a desperate attempt to have an impact (e.g. really bad penalties).
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #1371
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal has ten 20 goal seasons.
Brouwer has three.
That's a little different
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #1372
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't see anyone expecting his Crosby production. We are hoping for his Haula/Fisher/Ribiero production. He's scored 20 every year, in quite varied situations.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #1373
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Neal has ten 20 goal seasons.
Brouwer has three.
That's a little different
The point is not what Neal did years ago, it is the state of the asset that Calgary signed

Because Jagr has done a lot more than both of them and he isn’t even in the league now
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #1374
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't see anyone expecting his Crosby production. We are hoping for his Haula/Fisher/Ribiero production. He's scored 20 every year, in quite varied situations.
Right. See, when he was signed, I was expecting a good chance at 30 plus if he was put on the top line. Then you have a sniper, a guy who can shoot out in to the sniper opportunity

But the idea that you put the same guy with Bennett, or whomever Neal plays with and he saves or makes a career? Well, these are different things
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #1375
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The point is not what Neal did years ago, it is the state of the asset that Calgary signed

Because Jagr has done a lot more than both of them and he isn’t even in the league now
You are exaggerating a bit, no? Neil had 25 goals last year with Haula as his centre. 23 with Fisher the year before. And he's 31, not 45.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #1376
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right. See, when he was signed, I was expecting a good chance at 30 plus if he was put on the top line. Then you have a sniper, a guy who can shoot out in to the sniper opportunity

But the idea that you put the same guy with Bennett, or whomever Neal plays with and he saves or makes a career? Well, these are different things
Oh, sure, I don't think he or Bennett "saves" the other. I think Neil is best served with Backlund and Tkachuk. I think he'd have his usual production. Czarnik is pretty good and energetic, but not a proven scorer.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #1377
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Ferland.
Hamilton
Tkachuk
Monahan
Gaudreau

All players that did well under GG. Again, you can't blame him for the lack of progression player while dismissing that other players did well.
I'm glad GG is gone. Let's just be clear on that.
But I think in the context of individual player performance, I don't blame him for Sam's lack of production.
It is amazing to me how many goals he's had called back so there's some luck. But I agree with Bingo it is largely mental and that has manifested itself in a player that gets down on himself, and then makes really bad decisions in the game in a desperate attempt to have an impact (e.g. really bad penalties).
This is something you are steadfast on and man, could we not disagree more. Gulutzan took a guy who needed coaching and failed him.

I have documented elsewhere Bennett’s and Monahan’s Year 1, and subsequent line mates.

The top line is the top line. They dragged Ferland along.
Tkachuk played well with the same linemates that Bennett had in year 1. Bennett stalled with Bollig, Hathaway, etc.

Also have discussed the number of players that were flat or worse under GG - for example on D - Hamilton, Gio, Brodie

The team as a whole did way, way worse, and very few players, even if they did well, did better.

The coach decides the linenates, minutes, and situation a player is put in. Damn right you can point at a coach for a mishandled player underachieving.

Unless Bennett wrestled the lineup card and crayon out of Gulutzan’s hand, he wasn’t going to be given a good opportunity.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #1378
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Is it all on him or is at least some of it on the horrendous coach that pissed away the last 2 years of hockey in this town?

Let’s see where Bennett (and Brodie for that matter) are at the end of the year. I think Gulutzan forcing Bennett to Centre in his second year eroded the confidence he had built up but was too stubborn to change things. The same can be said by forcing Brodie to play the left side when he has said several times that he prefers the right side but we had to watch 2 full seasons of him being terrible thanks to the last coach we had on the team.

Players own a large portion of the accountability but let’s not forget who coached this team the past 2 years and how both players performed under Hartley was completely different
I remember a lot of posters on CP really supporting this.

that long term bennett would be better served learning how to properly play centre and work on his defensive responsibilites, then move up the lineup as he got better.
there were more comparisons with Draisaitl at the time, too. where the flames were doing it right with Bennett while the oilers were stupid by using drai on the wing instead developing him as a centre.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #1379
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I remember a lot of posters on CP really supporting this.

that long term bennett would be better served learning how to properly play centre and work on his defensive responsibilites, then move up the lineup as he got better.
there were more comparisons with Draisaitl at the time, too. where the flames were doing it right with Bennett while the oilers were stupid by using drai on the wing instead developing him as a centre.
A lot said that Bennett was a true centre, his skill set was that of a centre, and he was drafted as such.

I think they figured that he should (a) be centre and (b) get Gaudreau as a winger. Because, in reality, moving him to C on a team with Monahan and Backlund was not going to deliver good linemates.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #1380
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would like to see Bennett at centre on the 2nd line with Tkachuk & Neal on the wings.

Alternatively, Jankowski.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote