Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #401
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
That's the best part of all this. Worst case, the Flames hopefully put a stop to Treliving's pissing around with coaches and goalies. Best case, they gel and start doing some damage in the playoffs.

There isn't really anyone else left to blame.
That definitely isn't the worst case. Worst case is we piss away another season on poor goaltending and poor coaching; we get more excuses, more "we need to find ways to be better," and more band-aids; and we're forced to ride out the next several years of this team's window stuck in the playoff bubble no-mans-land until we're forced to rebuild.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 10-04-2018 at 01:41 PM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #402
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
That definitely isn't the worst case. Worst case is we piss away another season on poor goaltending and poor coaching; we get more excuses, more "we need to find ways to be better," and more band-aids; and we're forced to ride out the next several years of this team's window stuck in the playoff bubble no-mans-land until we're forced to rebuild.
At least it won't be Brad Treliving doing it though.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #403
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
At least it won't be Brad Treliving doing it though.
Are you sure about that?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #404
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
I can't even fkin believe they were trying that 2 line drop pass break-in AGAIN this year. Yep, let's have 4 guys not even ####ing moving just waiting at their blueline /eyeroll
No kidding. It's so awkward to have 4 guys standing waiting for Johnny or whoever to skate it all the way through. Which turns to embarrassing if he gets stood up at the line.

You want all your guys moving when you enter the zone so that if they chip it deep they have a step or two on the defenders to get to the puck first and set up quickly.

And ftlog keep moving when you do get set up. The point is to lose the d that's covering you long enough to receive a pass with a clear shooting lane. Standing there with a man in between you and the net while passing around a square on the outside with one stationary shooter in front that you can't get the puck to is a 'system' teams can defend all day long.

What gets me is when they do get a pass to the guy in the in front of the net, he's not even angled at the net to be able to make a shot, he's facing the guy on the perimeter that fed him so he has no option but to pass it right back to start the whole square of futility again.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #405
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Christ, it's one loss. Burke was right this morning about losing in a Canadian market.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #406
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Jesus Christ, it's one loss. Burke was right this morning about losing in a Canadian market.
It's only going to get worse. Forums, social media etc just keep growing people comment and comment, so many avenues now for fans to leave positive or negative feedback.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #407
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Are you sure about that?
Obviously I can't know that 100%, but it would be idiocy to keep going back to the well every year only to have goaltending and coaching fail you a third time.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #408
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate the power play entries, that drop back is stupid and doesn't work very often. Revamp the whole f******* thing! They better be doing 2 solid days of power play practice and hit the f******* net when you shoot! nothing drives me more crazy!!!!
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #409
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
It's one loss in which they looked exactly like the 2017-18 Flames.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #410
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
It's one loss in which they looked exactly like the 2017-18 Flames.
The one thing we didnt want to be is exactly what we looked like.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #411
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree that it is only one loss. However, when considered in the context of the past decade or more of Flames history, I'm not at all surprised that fans are frustrated already. I expect that fans in Boston and San Jose (teams which have enjoyed much success during the last decade) reacted to last night's losses with much more patience.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #412
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to think the team wasn't playing up to its potential, but I'm at the point now where I'm beginning to think the players just aren't really as good as we think they are.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #413
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I used to think the team wasn't playing up to its potential, but I'm at the point now where I'm beginning to think the players just aren't really as good as we think they are.
Does this include all the new players in the lineup this year?

I think the struggles the Flames continue to have on opening night has virtually nothing to do with talent. At this point its all psychological as it has been going on for years regardless of which players are on the ice, or which coaches are behind the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #414
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The drop pass on the power play appears to be very easy to read. The drop back is way too far back for it to be effective and I would guess half the time the pass itself was off which made it hard for the player coming to accept it at full speed. Add to that it seemed like everyone at the blue line was standing still and looking back for the late man. They need to figure out how execute this and keep more players moving at speed so if the plan changes and it's a dump in, they have a chance to battle for it.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #415
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Does this include all the new players in the lineup this year?

I think the struggles the Flames continue to have on opening night has virtually nothing to do with talent. At this point its all psychological as it has been going on for years regardless of which players are on the ice, or which coaches are behind the bench.
This fact is inconsistent with your conclusion of psychological cause.

The only remaining explanation is some type of witchcraft. Or maybe a statistical anomaly. But probably witchcraft.

Last edited by Makarov; 10-04-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #416
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
This fact is inconsistent with your conclusion with a psychological cause.

The only remaining explanation is some type of witchcraft. Or maybe a statistical anomaly. But probably witchcraft.
I'm good with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #417
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
I didn't watch the whole game but the one thing I noticed again much like last year is this team cant hit the net. lets the goalie off the hook so many times
I agree. If the Flames capitalized on their chances early it would have been a different game. Dube's breakaway and Monahans bottom of the slot chance in the first period come to mind. I would be more concerned if the Flames never got decent chances. At points they dominated last night. Still, they got too cute instead of putting the pressure on.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #418
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames got lit up by Vancouver, Boston got litup worse by Washington. Both teams traveled to china.

Not surprised with that outcome at all.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #419
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't even mind the drop pass, it makes sense because you want to gain the blueline with speed and push the defense back. It makes sense a lot of teams do it and its effective.

The Flames though showed this stupid determination or a lack of recognition of what the Canucks were doing which is basically standing up on their side of center ice, the Flames would try to force a bad situation. What they should have been doing was shooting the puck in more and using their speed to get in on the puck. They refused to do that.

As far as one loss, no matter how the loss happens, I can't say I really care until a pattern develops, and a pattern can't be interpreted after game one.

Call me at game 5 and ask me if I'm worried.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #420
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't watch last night as we had a birthday dinner with family. How did Gio and Brodie look?

Last edited by woob; 10-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote