Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #4421
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Gio did cover his mental lapses and there's no moving him back experiment needed. We all saw it on the ice (whether we want to admit it or not), even with Gio. We was punked fairly often in his own end. Gio did pretty much all the heavy lifting in his own end. Hamonic is doping the same job now, except he doesn't have Gio's offence.

And, yes, I will argue that Brodie was not a stud until GG got here. Brodie was pretty bad the last year of Hartley's tenure.
This is simply not true. Total revisionist history.

Not only was Brodie considered by many or most to be a stud, but there were many that were arguing at the time that he was carrying Giordano and that Giordano was over-rated.

I remember, because I remember defending Giordano.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #4422
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm still so torn about what I WANT the organization to do...

Deep down I'd like the entire coaching staff changed and have a more veteran coach that can kick some arse and get the most out of this roster. But who's actually gonna be available? and how does that affect continuity and the image of being a coaching carousel much like it was up north for a while? Does the roster itself perhaps need to be shaken up at its core?

There's the other part of me that thinks our core/leaders need to take some accountability here and get their #### together - I mean, a handful of players have had career seasons but yet we sit outside the playoffs.

I get the feeling Treliving/Burke do not want to have GG be the scapegoat on this one but...really don't know what to predict for this off-season.

Gosh it would be tough being a GM in the NHL.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #4423
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Not only was Brodie considered by many or most to be a stud, but there were many that were arguing at the time that he was carrying Giordano and that Giordano was over-rated.

This is true. Giordano has had his struggles and while he’s very good it’s a bit of a myth that he’s covering up for his partners mistakes all the time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #4424
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I remember when Giordano went to the ASG, lots of people were thinking that should of been Brodie's spot.

On topic.. I look forward to the day when I browse the TSN site to see GG and crew fired.. I can totally picture DS coming back.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #4425
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

TJ Brodie certainly was rated very highly around 2015.

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2015/...oming-one.html
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #4426
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie was great - he made brain farts but overall he was still a good hockey player that do more good than harm.

IMO selling now would be a mistake. He's already had two poor seasons and his value is low compared to what it could be if it returns to 2013 through 2015 form.

Four things changed with Brodie since then ( 3 of them being related to the coach):

1) Gulutzan became coach of this team and plays a less aggressive system for d-men rushing the puck and jumping into the play than Hartley did.
2) He was separated from Gio
3) He was played on the RH Side
4) His family has dealt with public off-ice issues

IMO I don't think his value drops a ton with another poor season but his value could skyrocket if he returns to form under a new coach.

If the coach is staying (unlikely with this finish) then the Flames should move him, but if the coach is gone then they'd be better off to not overreact with drastic roster changes and see if a new coach can get Brodie & this group over the finish line (honestly the talent is there just might need a different approach).

New Coach, Top 6 Forward, Younger & Faster in the Bottom 6/Bottom Pairing.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #4427
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darryl would be the dream.

I imagine he would do the following:
  • Move TJ to the right side. Affix him with a steely glare, grunt something about preferring him on the right when he originally picked him. Brodie becomes 2014-15 Brodie.
  • Look Dougie up and down, Mutter something about having a sow back on the ranch that had more fight and drive. Dougie turns into Chris Pronger.
  • Loudly give Johnny crap about why he's not leading the scoring race every game he's not leading the scoring race.
  • Accidentally call Ferland "Ferklund". Pretends like it was an honest mistake.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #4428
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
TJ Brodie certainly was rated very highly around 2015.

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2015/...oming-one.html
Quote:
Frequently racing up ice to join the rush, often leading that rush, he may be a defenceman by trade -- and a solid defender at that -- but it's his explosive two-way game that has turned him into one of the most exciting blueliners in the NHL.
More of this next season please.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #4429
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree there were people arguing that and I thought they were nuts.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #4430
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This is true. Giordano has had his struggles and while he’s very good it’s a bit of a myth that he’s covering up for his partners mistakes all the time.
Not so much this year, but with Brodie he did.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #4431
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't hate Backlund at all, I criticized him like 3 or 4 seasons ago for having a crappy start to a season but have totally been supportive of him after that. Show me where since Backlund's game has been consistent and evolved have I said I hate Backlund?
You on Backlund 2 seasons ago:

Quote:
Backlund has the same amount of points as a 19 year old kid, exactly. Actually he has not had the harder matchups, Hartley has mostly played 1st vs 1st line or 3rd vs first line. It is time for people to stop defending a player people at one time hoped would become a good two way C. It isn't happening. I watch every game even if it was pvr'ed and the eye test does not lie. He kills offensive plays, he hurts the PP every time he is out there on it. Before this season I would agree he was very good at shadowing top players or used in a defensive role but this season he has been terrible. Why would I have bias against him when I have been always supportive of the guy since day one? Just because he is a Calgary Flame does not mean he gets a free pass from me like it seems to be for other fans. I see absolutely nothing he currently brings to this roster right now. Can't win faceoffs, can't backcheck well, turns over pucks, can't do anything in the offensive zone. What does he bring?
Quote:
I disliked Bouwmeester because he was soft and as the games got more and more important his play regressed which has been his entire career with the exception of being carried at the olympics. How much success has ANY pro sports team had with Jay Bouwmeester on their blue line? Don't bother looking it up, I will save you the time. Zero.
Gold in the 2104 Olympics, 2 gold in 2 World Cups, and 2 gold and a silver in 3 World Championships. Try a write off the success as him "being carried" () but the smartest minds in hockey have consistently choosen him for best-on-best competitions as a pro.

Quote:
My problems with Regehr were never his play, he was the best shutdown guy we ever had and one of the best to play the game. My problem with him was the dissent he caused in the locker room. Multiple sources reported he was an a-hole who had to have it his way and that he clashed with multiple players and staff. Is it true? I have no proof but usually where there is smoke there is fire.
You consistently called Regehr a pylon:

Quote:
No! The last thing we need is the grumpy pylon back here. Thinking about him back here makes me want to puke. I hope he signs with Edmonton. I would say Vancouver but he would probably throw a hip learning to dive. I really despise Regehr.
Quote:
Neither. Bouw's game regresses badly under pressure and Regehr is a pylon.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #4432
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
You on Backlund 2 seasons ago:

Gold in the 2104 Olympics, 2 gold in 2 World Cups, and 2 gold and a silver in 3 World Championships. Try a write off the success as him "being carried" () but the smartest minds in hockey have consistently choosen him for best-on-best competitions as a pro.

You consistently called Regehr a pylon:
lmao, holy cherry picking. I was wondering where this troll went, hadn't heard from him in a while. Anyhow on the Backlund post thank you for proving that what I said in my reply is exactly what happened. Here is some more posts about Backlund from me because I hate him so much.

Quote:
Did you just say you prefer Tyler Bozak over Michael Backlund? Oh boy..
Quote:
I would rather pay Backlund $6M a year than Turris if it came down to that.
Quote:
Also is does not make sense financially as the only reason on earth to move Backlund is if the numbers don't work to keep other core/young pieces in the near future. Duchene is is going to command more in salary than Backlund.
Quote:
I have to eat crow for a different reason than most in this thread. I defended Gully throughout the bad times and I believed we could turn the corner. My crow entree is for my comments on Michael Backlund and how I thought he was nothing more than a decent third liner when the season started. Guy is our MVP and a high end 2nd line C, so good at both ends of the ice.

As for Regehr that was at the end of his playing days, way to cherry pick that.
You didn't mention I said:
Quote:
If you watch every game and don't think Stone is physical I don't know what else to say. I guess not if you expect him to be Regehr but that is like expecting Monahan to look like Sydney Crosby. Regehr was one of the greatest physical D man to ever play the game.
As for Bouw he has proven time and again when the pressure is on his game regresses. The people on this forum are die hard fans, you think they are dumb enough not to know this? What have the St Louis Blues done since acquiring him, a team that was at the time deemed about to become a serious SC threat? You go find Blues fans and ask them about Jay Bouwmeester, most would like to fire him into the sun.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #4433
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

Gold in the 2104 Olympics, 2 gold in 2 World Cups, and 2 gold and a silver in 3 World Championships.
I'd re-evaluate my position on Bouwmeester if he did indeed have a time machine.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #4434
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure Gulatzan will bounce back quick and be behind the bench of another NHL team in no time.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #4435
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm sure Gulatzan will bounce back quick and be behind the bench of another NHL team in no time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #4436
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
(He'll be back behind the calgary bench, along with Troy Brouwer)
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #4437
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Darryl would be the dream.

I imagine he would do the following:
  • Move TJ to the right side. Affix him with a steely glare, grunt something about preferring him on the right when he originally picked him. Brodie becomes 2014-15 Brodie.
  • Look Dougie up and down, Mutter something about having a sow back on the ranch that had more fight and drive. Dougie turns into Chris Pronger.
  • Loudly give Johnny crap about why he's not leading the scoring race every game he's not leading the scoring race.
  • Accidentally call Ferland "Ferklund". Pretends like it was an honest mistake.
This made my morning as it seems completely plausible that Sutter would say things like that as it it was completely normal and not a call out.... I could see a guy like Bennett, Hathaway, Hamonic and Brouwer playing lights out under Sutter. He would make sure they played to their current strengths, not what they were 5 years ago (Brouwer).

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #4438
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
At this point I don't know how it's even possible to justify keeping Gulutzan for next year. Fan support would fall into the tank, and between that and the ongoing arena debacle a relocation isn't totally out of the question. It's playing chicken with the future of the franchise to even consider.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #4439
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand why a coaching change might not happen till the end of the season due to logistics and routine. Wouldn't be fair to bring a guy in like Gelinas or Conroy with no experience to run a bench or prepare a team (even though it is questionable that this is currently being done anyways).

But everyday that GG is not fired, makes me more worried that he won't get fired and will be back next season. There are so many "excuses":

- players didn't play well (which is BS);
- lost their starting goalie (some merit but there were problems before that);
- best players injured (some merit but again, the problems were there before).

I hope management doesn't just look at the final stretch and blame the losses on injuries, because the problems with this team were evident back at Christmas.

It's funny but this final stretch of the season here reflects the typical GG Flames game, a complete failure to "stop the bleeding" when faced with adversity. THIS IS WHAT THE 2017-2018 FLAMES TEAM IDENTITY IS.

Last edited by 868904; 03-27-2018 at 11:05 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #4440
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
hopefully occupying Bev's seats when she's out of town.

- Surferguy

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 03-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote