Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #4401
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am just thinikinf if Gulutzan is bad enough that he will be “Greg Gilberted” or “Dallas Eakinsized”, like never get a NHL gig again?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #4402
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Came across this article on Google, might seem GG is listening to Sutters advice a little to much and letting the players "do it themselves" lol
https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryher...-on-career/amp
Quote:
“One of the things that sticks out is I asked him in 2004, ‘How did you get the team to play that hard?’ ” said Gulutzan, now 45. “I remember that was one of the questions I asked him after their playoff run. I hadn’t seen a team play that hard. And Darryl’s answer, I still remember, was: ‘I didn’t. I didn’t do it.’ He said, ‘Once Jarome and the leadership got on board and together, they looked after it themselves.’ Darryl had the horses hitched to the wagon, and they just ran.

“I can remember him saying, ‘It wasn’t me. It was them. It was on the leadership, it was on the players, and they took hold of it,’ ” continued Calgary’s current bench boss. “And I’ve tried to adopt a little bit of that. You kind of set up the framework, you set up the structure, you set up the passion, you try to bond the team together, and different coaches bond teams together in different ways. But at the end of it, you need to let the players take hold of it and take it where they want to go. I’ve always kept that in my thought process when I’m trying to develop a team.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #4403
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sutter trolled Glue Gun hard lol!!
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #4404
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe La Puck View Post
Actually I think thats an exceptional strategy.

But I didnt see any of that from this team so maybe he didnt execute that system effectively? Oh well, better luck next time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #4405
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Came across this article on Google, might seem GG is listening to Sutters advice a little to much and letting the players "do it themselves" lol
https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryher...-on-career/amp
Quote:
“One of the things that sticks out is I asked him in 2004, ‘How did you get the team to play that hard?’ ” said Gulutzan, now 45. “I remember that was one of the questions I asked him after their playoff run. I hadn’t seen a team play that hard. And Darryl’s answer, I still remember, was: ‘I didn’t. I didn’t do it.’ He said, ‘Once Jarome and the leadership got on board and together, they looked after it themselves.’ Darryl had the horses hitched to the wagon, and they just ran.

“I can remember him saying, ‘It wasn’t me. It was them. It was on the leadership, it was on the players, and they took hold of it,’ ” continued Calgary’s current bench boss. “And I’ve tried to adopt a little bit of that. You kind of set up the framework, you set up the structure, you set up the passion, you try to bond the team together, and different coaches bond teams together in different ways. But at the end of it, you need to let the players take hold of it and take it where they want to go. I’ve always kept that in my thought process when I’m trying to develop a team.

Here is the difference between Darryl and GG.

Darryl set up the process and then let the players run with it. GG has never set up that process, in fact, his coaching style is the complete opposite of Darryl's. You can't do what Darryl did by looking down at your iPad.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #4406
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Darryl Sutter is being coy as usual he did far more than he's admitting to.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #4407
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are two things that I believe (hope?) will happen with a new coach.

A) TJ Brodie (if he isn’t traded) returns to his 2014-2015 form. Probably as a result of being moved back to the right side.

B) Sam Bennett gets a fresh start and turns into some semblance of the player we thought we were getting.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #4408
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/977564370640158721

Just another dig at advanced stats.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #4409
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gulutzan uses a very conservative philosophy with this team. On one hand it is understandable. If you're going to the blender too much, players get confused with what their roles are and the coach will eventually lose them.

On the other hand if the coach is too stubborn and results aren't there you get the same result.

But this conservatism is seen in his tactics as well with the 50/50 approach. The team is looking to get a one goal lead and nurse it to victory or at least a tie. In today's NHL, I believe you just can't do that. You have to play a fast and aggressive style.

Gulutzan's conservatism only gets increased when games are close.

When Gaudreau is getting called out by the coach and sometimes players for bad puck management in a tied game, that really disappoints me.

There is this take no chances mentality in the team - a play it safe ethos. It has manifested itself in 'lack of a killer instinct'. Calgary doesn't push to make 2-1 leads 3-1 or 4-1 leads. Also, they stick with PP personnel or deployments that clearly aren't giving the desired results yet the continue to 'stick with it'.

The league's best teams are always pushing for offence (goal differential.

This is also why I'm disappointed in Treliving - their plan was to shore up the defence and rely on the 2-1 approach. It's a failed philosophy IMO in todays NHL. Hamonic and Stone are not guys who help push the pace but guys that make their hay playing in their own end. That's not winning hockey.

If they stick to this philosophy it will continue to be a disaster. I'm not saying be so loose in your end that you're the Islanders but the mindset has to be more geared on offence, speed, creating those outnumbered chances, using the middle of the ice to attack - having players who can handle the puck with speed in the middle.

I was never of fan of the going all in because the forwards/offence was still missing the play drivers (only Gaudreau and Backlund can carry the puck, gain the blue with possession and create).

The team needs more players like this.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #4410
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
There are two things that I believe (hope?) will happen with a new coach.

A) TJ Brodie (if he isn’t traded) returns to his 2014-2015 form. Probably as a result of being moved back to the right side.

B) Sam Bennett gets a fresh start and turns into some semblance of the player we thought we were getting.
I find it hilarious that people think putting TJ Brodie back on the right side is going to suddenly give him a brain because Gio made him look good in 2014-15. Get him outta here.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #4411
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I find it hilarious that people think putting TJ Brodie back on the right side is going to suddenly give him a brain because Gio made him look good in 2014-15. Get him outta here.
Put him back with Gio boost his stats back up then trade him at the deadline next year. Right now he is at his lowest point.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #4412
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You might be right. Might not change a thing. But I’ll tell you what absolutely has not worked. Forcing him to remain on that pairing with Hamonic playing on the side of the ice that that the player himself has acknowledged that was not comfortable for him.

In 75 games wouldn’t it have been worth a try to do something different? Even once?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #4413
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
You might be right. Might not change a thing. But I’ll tell you what absolutely has not worked. Forcing him to remain on that pairing with Hamonic playing on the side of the ice that that the player himself has acknowledged that was not comfortable for him.

In 75 games wouldn’t it have been worth a try to do something different? Even once?

Perhaps GG, like the great minds up north, also subscribes to the idea that failure is the springboard to success?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #4414
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Darryl Sutter is being coy as usual he did far more than he's admitting to.
Totally. Sutter is a pretty humble guy and rarely takes credit and does his best to shield players from criticism from people outside the locker room.

Side question, but what bonafide NHL experienced head coaches are likely going to be available next off-season?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #4415
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe La Puck View Post

Yup, GG doesn't have a clue because Darryl didn't tell him anything of substance. GG is still missing the secret ingredient... He got trolled.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #4416
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Sutter can return to this organization. He is what we need.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #4417
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am another fan that says play Brodie where he wants to play. He was a top ten or top 20 dman in that role. Did Gio cover up his mental lapses?

We wont know till he is moved back.

The fact we are discussing this two years later after the move is concerning. Coaching staff has never moved him back. The move didnt work yet the coaching staff still plugs a circle into a square hole expecting it to work. It doesnt and they keep doing it!

I am not the first fan to say this. Fan number 18299. Brodie sucks playing where he is playing and the solution is obvious. Hey we could all be wrong. Switching him back to his offside may not work. The fact the team has not tried this is ignorance on a grand scale!

If Gio is the guy propping up Brodie? Play Brodie with Gio for three months then trade him. Trade Brodie at his highest value, not the lowest.

Two years of an experiment that has been awful. Solution is so simple.

Coach wont do it! Time for another coach!

GG should make Johnny play center. I am sure that would work out great too.

Brodie was a stud until GG came here. Anyone want to argue that fact?
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #4418
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so we're all clear that you hate Brodie. But given your historic hatred of Bouwmeester, Backlund, and Regehr, I'd say that means that giving up Brodie is about the worst thing the Flames could do this offseason.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #4419
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
I am another fan that says play Brodie where he wants to play. He was a top ten or top 20 dman in that role. Did Gio cover up his mental lapses?

We wont know till he is moved back.

The fact we are discussing this two years later after the move is concerning. Coaching staff has never moved him back. The move didnt work yet the coaching staff still plugs a circle into a square hole expecting it to work. It doesnt and they keep doing it!

I am not the first fan to say this. Fan number 18299. Brodie sucks playing where he is playing and the solution is obvious. Hey we could all be wrong. Switching him back to his offside may not work. The fact the team has not tried this is ignorance on a grand scale!

If Gio is the guy propping up Brodie? Play Brodie with Gio for three months then trade him. Trade Brodie at his highest value, not the lowest.

Two years of an experiment that has been awful. Solution is so simple.

Coach wont do it! Time for another coach!

GG should make Johnny play center. I am sure that would work out great too.

Brodie was a stud until GG came here. Anyone want to argue that fact?
Gio did cover his mental lapses and there's no moving him back experiment needed. We all saw it on the ice (whether we want to admit it or not), even with Gio. We was punked fairly often in his own end. Gio did pretty much all the heavy lifting in his own end. Hamonic is doping the same job now, except he doesn't have Gio's offence.

And, yes, I will argue that Brodie was not a stud until GG got here. Brodie was pretty bad the last year of Hartley's tenure.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #4420
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Ok, so we're all clear that you hate Brodie. But given your historic hatred of Bouwmeester, Backlund, and Regehr, I'd say that means that giving up Brodie is about the worst thing the Flames could do this offseason.
I don't hate Backlund at all, I criticized him like 3 or 4 seasons ago for having a crappy start to a season but have totally been supportive of him after that. Show me where since Backlund's game has been consistent and evolved have I said I hate Backlund? I disliked Bouwmeester because he was soft and as the games got more and more important his play regressed which has been his entire career with the exception of being carried at the olympics. How much success has ANY pro sports team had with Jay Bouwmeester on their blue line? Don't bother looking it up, I will save you the time. Zero. My problems with Regehr were never his play, he was the best shutdown guy we ever had and one of the best to play the game. My problem with him was the dissent he caused in the locker room. Multiple sources reported he was an a-hole who had to have it his way and that he clashed with multiple players and staff. Is it true? I have no proof but usually where there is smoke there is fire.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote