Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #261
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
If my reading comprehension skills are passable, I believe the comment is more directed at those who thought Wideman shouldn't be suspended at all because he was out of it after being hit in the head.
Why bring up some hypothetical scenario to try and make a comparison. There is an explicit rule you can cite for any idiots who think this should have been 0 games.

Rules are rules.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #262
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Yes, it is your prerogative to disagree, but can we please stop ignoring the fact that the League's interpretation of the event is an entirely reasonable one—especially given their access to evidence and testimony that none of the rest of us has seen or heard.
I do get it and believe that the hearing was serious and diligent. However; most informed observers, including Friedman, believed that the punishment was going to be harsh and "politically-motivated" because of the need to send a message. Who was the intended recipient of the message is the question. I believe it was to the officials and I believe this was a wrong message.

Quote:
Sportsnet’s Mark Spector had an interesting take last weekend, writing that, in his opinion, a suspension of under 10 games could provoke blowback.
“Whether they work to rule, call everything the first night back, or call nothing, if the perception is that the game doesn’t have Don Henderson’s back the zebras will make it clear — for a period of time — that they don’t have the game’s back either,” he wrote.
Hopefully, either the team or NHLPA will appeal (not sure about the formal protocol of who has the appeal filing priority in these cases).

Friedman:
Quote:
Anything above six games creates the possibility of Wideman appealing to a neutral arbitrator. I’d be astonished by anything less than that, because it allows the league to say, “We held up our end and if the arbitrator drops the suspension, that’s out of our hands.”
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #263
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't really commented much on this, but I think this suspension is absolutely ludicrous.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #264
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
HF is notoriously pro-oiler anti Calgary

hockey fans are biased on both sides

Button and Sutter thought a small suspension
Bobby Mack said 10 games

Hard to argue this is on the harsh side
Button's analysis on TSN (with the crucial other angle) nailed it. Most others have been generating hysteria based on one angle with bad optics. NHL capitulated to the hysteria.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #265
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

20 games really doesn't seem just nor do I think it makes any statement that will prevent other incidents like this from happening in future because I don't think that Wideman really knew what he was doing anyways. It clearly seemed like the result of having hit his head and being a bit out of it. I don't believe it ever would have happened otherwise and i don't think the threat of a 20 game suspension prior to hitting the referee would have prevented it from happening.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #266
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think what the Weber incident shows is that players instinctively get their arms up to protect themselves. That is another reason why I have an issue with the intentional angle. I don't think it was an intentional cross check. I think it was a reactive instinct to somebody being in his way. What is debatable and impossible to prove is at what point he realized it was a referee.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #267
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
And yet here we are.
lol, I retract what I wrote and agreed with you and yet you still have to be a jerk about it. Not surprised at all. Don't turn this into a troll thread, I am not interested.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #268
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I disagree. I think the NHL felt Wideman deliberately hit a referee with intent to injure, and I don't see how they can feel that.
I don't believe you. I completely accept that you disagree, and I can understand why, but I very sincerely doubt that you don't see how the incident could be viewed as intentional. The video evidence most definitely raises the possibility that Wideman's actions were intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #269
Peaceful Warrior
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Flames traded Rene Bourque to the Habs while he was suspended.

There is no cap relief for suspended players.
Is that right?

50.10 (c) For Players that are suspended, either by a Club or by the League, the Player Salary and Bonuses that are not paid to such Players shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit or against the Players' Share for the duration of the suspension, but the Club must have Payroll Room for such Player's Player Salary and Bonuses in order for such Player to be able to return to
Play for the Club.

And if there is relief, is he more desirable to a contender -- cap relief and a player?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #270
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
...the only thing that bothers me is that this is the same length of suspension that Todd Bertuzzi got for nearly killing a guy after a malicious and intentional attack after being warned by the NHL about retribution...
In terms of actual missed games, yes, the suspensions are the same. But we have to remember that Bertuzzi's original suspension was indefinite. It remained indefinite all the way through the remainder of the season, and the playoffs, and into the summer. It was still indefinite into the oblivion that was the 2004–05 lockout, and it was on,y after 15 months without NHL hockey that the length of Bertuzzi's suspension was fixed at 20 games. 20 games, which took him more than a full year to serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #271
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Wideman didn't immediately stop, horrified of what he realized he did, to try and help the linesman out.
Neither does Weber despite laying out an official with an open-ice hit where he left his feet. Or Muzzin who clipped one by accident. Players play to the whistle.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #272
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The appeal to Bettman likely wont work (doesn't want to piss off refs)

beyond that though he can appeal it to an independent arbitrator who would have to consider past suspensions (like Carcillo) and could be shown incidents that resulted in ZERO games

I have to think the final number is lower
Old 02-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #273
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
This happened earlier in January. Muzzin is kind of reckless going in like he did.

To me, this one is more comparable. Muzzin sees an unsuspecting referee way in advance
Old 02-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #274
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too much but they had to appease the officials and the media. I still don't think Wideman knew who he hit. He was woozy whether he admitted it or not and all that was on his mind was getting back to the bench. Someone got in his way and he lashed out. He deserved a suspension but 20 games is overkill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #275
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Hey Wideman...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #276
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only surmise that fans are either bi-polar or it's just a sign of the internet times that people love to be outraged. I could quote hundreds of posts from fans at this site asking for Wideman to be benched, traded, banished to the AHL. This isn't a small group of fans as almost everyone here is guilty of saying something along these lines this season including me.

Fast forward and the guy gets a 20 game suspension that most in the hockey world have deemed fair and the same fans that wanted him anywhere but on the Flames bench are outraged like someone just robbed the Flames of a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

The decision has been made and barring an appeal it is what it is. Time to look forward to tonight's game and the rest of the season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #277
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Why bring up some hypothetical scenario to try and make a comparison. There is an explicit rule you can cite for any idiots who think this should have been 0 games.

Rules are rules.
No need to call people idiots.

My read of the rule is this:
Minimum of 10 if deliberate physical contact without intent to injure.
Minimum of 20 if deliberate physical contact with intent to injure.

If it is accidental contact, then no penalty.

I don't understand how the league felt he had intent to injure.
I can see how it was an accident, and also see how it could be deemed deliberate physical contact without intent. I don't think either makes me an idiot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #278
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

It's more than I thought it would be, but I can't really call it too severe. I was thinking it would get 10 but I could have seen it getting as much as the rest of the season.

There was the possibility for a big range, and many different ways to interpret it. I could have been as little as 5 or 6 too.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #279
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I think what the Weber incident shows is that players instinctively get their arms up to protect themselves...
...or to try throwing/deflecting the other body away from direct collision and reduce the impact force somehow.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #280
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
lol, I retract what I wrote and agreed with you and yet you still have to be a jerk about it. Not surprised at all. Don't turn this into a troll thread, I am not interested.
Ok Diss, I am the troll here. You make a silly claim, I say stop because it isn't true. You make you "obvious is obvious" comment and roll your eyes like a 16 year old. Then you give a nice patronizing retraction.

But you're probably right, I am the jerk on this one Have a good one.
Closed Thread