Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1304876387032084480

Edmundson is slow, isn't particularly agile, and is constantly behind the play. He has not had a positively impactful season in his career and, at worst, he is a significant liability.
I knew that your rebuttal (and original statement) would be entirely based on stats.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #22
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1304876387032084480

Edmundson is slow, isn't particularly agile, and is constantly behind the play. He has not had a positively impactful season in his career and, at worst, he is a significant liability.
This is the problem with looking only at advanced stats metrics for stay at home defensemen. It doesn't give you the full picture. This is why I have no respect for opinions of people who only look advanced stats
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #23
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I knew that your rebuttal (and original statement) would be entirely based on stats.
This is why I'd never waste my time reading the articles he writes. He's basically a worse version of Kent Wilson, who is a complete buffoon.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #24
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
My point was teams being active and yet again so far the Flames are doing squat to fix their problems. I'm out of patience waiting for tree to actually do something...anything to get things started.

Doesn't have to be these types of trades, but a coaching decision would be nice.
Well the off season hasn't begun, there has been minor trades so far. I'd rather the Flames get a full read on the market rather than making trades for the sake of it to please fans.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #25
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Well the off season hasn't begun, there has been minor trades so far. I'd rather the Flames get a full read on the market rather than making trades for the sake of it to please fans.
not to mention we have no idea when next season will even be at this point
Old 09-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #26
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
26 of the 31 teams in the league are available to trade with right now.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #27
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Assessing the market is very important, yes. And rushing into things is never a good idea.

Having said that, it is also important to always be assessing the current environment and determining if there are opportunities to exploit. If there are potential advantages to getting a jump on the off-season, then they should be all over it.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
This is the problem with looking only at advanced stats metrics for stay at home defensemen. It doesn't give you the full picture. This is why I have no respect for opinions of people who only look advanced stats
I have respect for everyone's opinions regardless but the fact is if you look at advanced stats as only part of the equation he's pretty well in the basement needing the eye test to absolutely blow you away just to bring him up to an average defenseman. Those stats are absolutely abysmal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #29
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Habs still have 11 picks in this draft. They literally have enough draft capital to throw up at the wall.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, calling Edmundson slow and constantly behind the play is purely a statistical argument.

And even so, dismissing stats-oriented argumentation is dumb because what’s the alternative? Gut feelings? Assumptions? “I think this guy’s good and he’s paid like he’s good and he plays a lot of minutes so he must be good”? Granted that’s me being hyperbolic but it’s kind of the other end of the spectrum as you saying I post arguments “entirely based on stats.” That’s not true.

There are stay-at-home defenders who actually prevent high-danger spots on net and goals against. The Canes and Blues bled badly whenever they played Edmundson. He doesn’t pass the eye test and he doesn’t pass the stats test. The Blues won the Cup largely in spite of him (and keep in mind, they had some truly excellent defensive defencemen on that team who actually prevented shots!)

Saying “ahhhhh, stats” isn’t a good argument when the stats I’m looking at are basic things like scoring chances, shot quality, defensive zone faceoffs and quality in competition. You can call them stats — I just call those things “hockey”

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, calling Edmundson slow and constantly behind the play is purely a statistical argument.

And even so, dismissing stats-oriented argumentation is dumb because what’s the alternative? Gut feelings? Assumptions? “I think this guy’s good and he’s paid like he’s good and he plays a lot of minutes so he must be good”? Granted that’s me being hyperbolic but it’s kind of the other end of the spectrum as you saying I post arguments “entirely based on stats.” That’s not true.

There are stay-at-home defenders who actually prevent high-danger spots on net and goals against. The Canes and Blues bled badly whenever they played Edmundson. He doesn’t pass the eye test and he doesn’t pass the stats test. The Blues won the Cup largely in spite of him (and keep in mind, they had some truly excellent defensive defencemen on that team who actually prevented shots!)

Saying “ahhhhh, stats” isn’t a good argument when the stats I’m looking at are basic things like scoring chances, shot quality, defensive zone faceoffs and quality in competition. You can call them stats — I just call those things “hockey”
Yup, that's the only alternative to fully relying on stats.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #32
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

What where his advanced stats for the previous year or years? Was it just a bad year or was it a re-occuring trend? He was talked about favourably during the Blues Cup run so I'm curious.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It's not a race to a deadline, it's a race with other teams.

I think 5 or 6 defenders were moved in 72 hours last off-season.

Trades are dictated by the market, if you wait too long to make deals the market dries up.

The flames shouldn't have been in in edmunson and they probably have no one interested in the rights to Brodie or hamonic, but there IS movement in the market right now and teams will strike first at the assets they have at the top of their lists and eventually there won't be any takers.

Washington wasted no time with Reirden because they wanted to position themselves at the front of the line for coaching candidates.
If you can’t get the guy you want right away, you shouldn’t settle for a guy you don’t really want because you can sign him quicker. You work harder on the guys you want.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO advanced stats are useful, and so is the eye test. What would trouble me is if the two don’t match up. Then you have to ask which is painting a more correct picture for the specific player, and you have to dive deeper into player usage and other intangibles.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Blues’ cup run year was by far his best year and yet only Robby Fabbri (who seldom played) was outscored at a higher rate than Edmundson was in the playoffs en route to the Cup win. (It’s a little weird because that 22-game playoff sample is his strongest sample by many analytics but his execution still remained as poor as his usual output). Prior to last year his numbers were awful.

He was a brutal fit in Carolina and fans were not happy with his play one bit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1304914148199931907

https://twitter.com/user/status/1304880181040025605

Quote:
I said in my post that that was me hyperbolically theorizing the opposite extreme to you saying I argue entirely based on stats. Which I don’t. Nobody in this thread is.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-12-2020 at 05:00 PM.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Not only do I not think Scorp relies entirely on stats, but he even said he was being hyperbolic and representing the very opposite side of the spectrum.

I don’t know about Edmundson either way, but I do find an argument for or against Edmundson that includes something tangible to back it up more compelling than “quality!”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
26 of the 31 teams in the league are available to trade with right now.
I suspect at least 4 (being the teams just eliminated) are still undergoing their own internal evaluations.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #38
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
At least Scorp is giving ONE picture, unlike you and Enoch who’s been completely dismissive but bringing nothing of substance to back your argument at all.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Point Blank For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
At least Scorp is giving ONE picture, unlike you and Enoch who’s been completely dismissive but bringing nothing of substance to back your argument at all.
We don't need to bring anything to the argument, because we didn't make a claim that requires backing up, like Scorpion did ('one of the worst in the league'). You make a statement like that, you are going to be challenged on it.

Because that's how discussions work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not only do I not think Scorp relies entirely on stats, but he even said he was being hyperbolic and representing the very opposite side of the spectrum.

I don’t know about Edmundson either way, but I do find an argument for or against Edmundson that includes something tangible to back it up more compelling than “quality!
Well, no one made that argument, so I guess you're good.