Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #41
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep. Any GM still working that got hoodwinked the first time will not likely let history repeat.
I keep thinking this too, but then I see how much Rutherford keeps defending players like Jack Johnson and wonder if history will actually repeat itself with Seattle.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stars in 6...CP willl continue to say they aren't any good
Old 09-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #43
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Seattle comes out as a competitive team. The NHL was not as fun during the expansion era where teams entered the league and were boring, low-skill bottom feeders for years on end.

Who actually wanted to watch games against the Panthers, the Wild, Nashville, Anaheim, Atlanta etc.?

Those games sucked. They were like dead spots in the schedule.

Give me competitive, entertaining hockey over the Minnesota Wild or Atlanta Thrashers expansion teams any day. I don't want the whole league to be made worse just because I'm upset that the Flames struggle with mediocrity.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #44
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
lol bull####.

####ing horse#### league handing an expansion team a contender right out of the gate. What a clown show.

You just watch when Seattle does the same goddamn thing. No building through the draft like every other team has to do. Get to build by stealing assets that every other team in the league has been collecting for years.

Should have named them the Vegas Pirates.

Technically they did build through the draft.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #45
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Technically they did build through the draft.
lol

Entry draft would have been better.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #46
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I hope Seattle comes out as a competitive team. The NHL was not as fun during the expansion era where teams entered the league and were boring, low-skill bottom feeders for years on end.

Who actually wanted to watch games against the Panthers, the Wild, Nashville, Anaheim, Atlanta etc.?

Those games sucked. They were like dead spots in the schedule.

Give me competitive, entertaining hockey over the Minnesota Wild or Atlanta Thrashers expansion teams any day. I don't want the whole league to be made worse just because I'm upset that the Flames struggle with mediocrity.
Yeah sure, whatever is worse for the Flames then I guess. As long as it's entertaining hockey who cares how many contenders the league tosses into our division so they can boot stomp the #### out of us.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #47
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah sure, whatever is worse for the Flames then I guess. As long as it's entertaining hockey who cares how many contenders the league tosses into our division so they can boot stomp the #### out of us.
Yeah... maybe your right. The league should just lower the quality of hockey overall so that our team can eventually get success.

Maybe they could force the top teams in each division to transfer to the KHL every year, and bring up AHL teams to replace them. Then we can all look forward to the Flames finally winning the Stanley Cup over their storied rival, the Henderson Silver Knights, while we forget that the Vegas Golden Knights ever existed. That would be a truly proud moment in Flames history

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #48
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they both lose.
It's been a while since I've disliked both teams in the Western final this much.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #49
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yeah... maybe your right. The league should just lower the quality of hockey overall so that our team can eventually get success.

Maybe they could force the top teams in each division to transfer to the KHL every year, and bring up AHL teams to replace them. Then we can all look forward to the Flames finally winning the Stanley Cup over their storied rival, the Henderson Silver Knights, while we forget that the Vegas Golden Knights ever existed. That would be a truly proud moment in Flames history
No, they dont have to any of that stupid ####. Letting new franchises buy a cup contender right out of the gate is stupid enough.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #50
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe we should just direct our anger at the fact that Flames management can’t even build a team as well as an expansion team.

Kind of depressing.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #51
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Maybe we should just direct our anger at the fact that Flames management can’t even build a team as well as an expansion team.

Kind of depressing.
Im doing that too.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #52
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Kind of depressing.
How many teams have been better than Vegas the last 3 years? Any?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #53
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Stars aren't everything and a bag of chips. (Though they are miles better than many thought including myself)

They played against the 2nd and 3rd string goaltenders of the avs along with a missing top 4 dman the whole series, and needed OT in game 7 to win.

If Grubauer was healthy i dont believe that series goes past 6 games....and we'd see the Colorado/Vegas match up so many assumed.

If Dallas doesnt get very/extremely good G play in this series, it will be a short one. Khudobin nor Bishop really inspire confidence that will happen IMO.

Vegas is firing on all cylinders and only got pushed to the brink because of other-worldly play by Markstrom and Thatcher.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
St Louis and Washington?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #55
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Stars aren't everything and a bag of chips. (Though they are miles better than many thought including myself)

They played against the 2nd and 3rd string goaltenders of the avs along with a missing top 4 dman the whole series, and needed OT in game 7 to win.

If Grubauer was healthy i dont believe that series goes past 6 games....and we'd see the Colorado/Vegas match up so many assumed.

If Dallas doesnt get very/extremely good G play in this series, it will be a short one. Khudobin nor Bishop really inspire confidence that will happen IMO.

Vegas is firing on all cylinders and only got pushed to the brink because of other-worldly play by Markstrom and Thatcher.
Dallas was also a bad turnover away from sweeping the Avs with their 2nd stringer playing

Last edited by dino7c; 09-05-2020 at 12:10 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #56
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
St Louis and Washington?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
so that's two...should Vegas win a cup this year they are certainly #1

Has anyone else in the NHL won 5 playoff series in the 3 seasons? and they got absolutely jobbed last year.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #57
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Not sure I can blame the Knights for the Panthers handing them Jonathan Marchessault and Riley Smith. Perfectly fine with the Anaheim Ducks giving up Shea Theodore, though.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
How hard do you think it would be to trade players on our current roster for a collection of 8th most valuable forwards and 4th most valuable defencemen? Not hard.

People suggest trading Johnny for anything less than first rounds picks/top prospects/top line guys and other people freak out. Maybe the solution is to trade Johnny for a mid 1st rounder and a couple of 3rd liners.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #59
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know; Dallas has got by on their skill, yes, but also by bullying their opponents. I'm not sure they'll be able to do that as effectively against the Knights. Vegas is a pretty big team.

Dallas has a more experienced team, but I think Vegas takes it in 6.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #60
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How hard do you think it would be to trade players on our current roster for a collection of 8th most valuable forwards and 4th most valuable defencemen? Not hard.

People suggest trading Johnny for anything less than first rounds picks/top prospects/top line guys and other people freak out. Maybe the solution is to trade Johnny for a mid 1st rounder and a couple of 3rd liners.
for an entire team of those players? incredibly hard especially the dman....the six best "#4 dmen" in the league would be a good d core

Take your pick of any two backups in the entire NHL right now...we would have great goal tending

Last edited by dino7c; 09-05-2020 at 12:16 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post: