Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should/Will the Flames keep Ward as HC
They shouldn't, but they will 282 46.31%
They shouldn't, and they won't 235 38.59%
They should, but they won't 26 4.27%
They should, and they will 66 10.84%
Voters: 609. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #481
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So if this whole time was spent finding assistants for Ward would that not suggest he was chosen early in the process?
Not necessarily. There are truly endless possibilities for what happened and we are all just guessing. I would be very surprised if Treliving admitted he didn't talk to anybody at all during the process.

Maybe interviews went poorly, maybe Gallant and Laviolette indicated they wanted to wait to hear on the Caps job. Maybe they said no to Calgary all together.

It seems unusually tight lipped. Maybe they are trying to bring somebody in and move Ward back down to associate? Maybe they are trying to find an experienced head coach willing to take an associate role and keep Ward?

At this point though if they just announce Ward and the same assistants returning I will be curious if something fell through.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #482
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Flames have shown that they like to keep their hand picked assistants so I'm not sure much would change although it's possible Ward has a coach or two that he's always wanted to follow him into his first head coach gig. I would almost be okay with Ward coming back if he changed the goaltending coach as it's the one stone the organization has left unturned over the last few coach hirings/firings.
Or else the key is to get rid of Gelinas
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #483
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Not necessarily. There are truly endless possibilities for what happened and we are all just guessing. I would be very surprised if Treliving admitted he didn't talk to anybody at all during the process.

Maybe interviews went poorly, maybe Gallant and Laviolette indicated they wanted to wait to hear on the Caps job. Maybe they said no to Calgary all together.

It seems unusually tight lipped. Maybe they are trying to bring somebody in and move Ward back down to associate? Maybe they are trying to find an experienced head coach willing to take an associate role and keep Ward?

At this point though if they just announce Ward and the same assistants returning I will be curious if something fell through.

Just spitballing but its also possible that there are guys still with their current clubs he wants to talk with but has to wait until their season is over.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #484
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Just spitballing but its also possible that there are guys still with their current clubs he wants to talk with but has to wait until their season is over.
Yeah, i thought that too. There’s more coaches than Ward on the hot seat.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #485
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There remains a multitude of reasons for why there has not been any news at all on the Flames coaching front, which is why all the premature frustration and/or resignation about any supposed decision is pretty silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #486
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
That’s an interesting point. People used to be seen flying to the cities where they were interviewing, and the gossip fed journalists
From my recollection that is where most rumors came from regarding the Flames in the past for coaching/management changes. John Doe was seen at Restaurant X with Joe Blow. John Doe was seen on a flight to Calgary or at the Calgary airport.

Quote:
Given the current situation I would imagine Laviolette, Gallant, Babcock etc did not interview for the Caps coaching job in person and those were still discovered.

The simplest answer is likely the right one. Treliving didn't speak to anyone else.
The simplest answer is not one where you make baseless assumptions. The simplest answer is one that shows a pattern. Thus this would be the simplest answer.

The Flames are notoriously tight lipped about personnel moves. We have found out most Flames moves through beat reporters in other cities where the candidates have been employed. Or via people seeing the candidates in the city.

The Capitals are not notoriously tight lipped about personnel moves. We all knew basically immediately that Reirden was done in Washington. We all knew Trotz was done in Washington mid-way through his final season there and that Reirden was their guy.

So how is there any shock something has leaked out of Washington but not Calgary?
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #487
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ah, the ole flames don't leak argument.

It's every other team in the league that leaks, but not the flames.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #488
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Wasn't all that tight lipped during the last two coaching dismissals and hires.

We knew Tre had interviewed GG, Ward and Reirden in 2016. That's what left a lot of people puzzled that he didn't speak to Boudreau.

Heck we even knew Conroy went hiking with Gulutzan.

In 2018 we knew Peters was the target even before Peters left Carolina.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #489
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

We knew Tre had interviewed GG, Ward and Reirden in 2016. That's what left a lot of people puzzled that he didn't speak to Boudreau.

Yeah but all those leaks came from other organizations.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #490
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

In the middle of a publicised ongoing coaching search.
Quote:
It became known well after the fact, and after Gulutzan was hired.
Quote:

But Gulutzan's firing was abrupt, and the speculation surrounding Peters was generated by his own opt-out clause in his existing contract. Since we don't know about whether or not the team is even looking at other candidates, I just don't think prior outcomes have much bearing on what is happening now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-13-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #491
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we know about Stone, Zucker, Kadri, Hall, Bishop, Fleury. Who am I missing? I don’t think notoriously tight lipped really fits anymore.

And the other thing you will hear this summer after a guy gets traded will be some comment about wanting guys who want to be here, or who are committed to winning etc. Something along those lines.

It’s the spin game and Flames play it as much as any team. That just seems to be how it works unless you have the occasional GM who absolutely does not care what anyone else things, a la LL.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote