Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #21
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Only use wood sticks when protecting the lead, or killing a penalty. Golfers have different clubs for different purposes.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #22
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why don't just lie flat in front of your goal and start doing snow angels? You are bound to block a couple shots or passes...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #23
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Great thread btw. So rare we can talk strategy where basically everyone has a valid opinion without getting ruined by the “eye test” or advanced stats, there’s varied opinions, it can’t be ruined by advance stats, the “you’ve obviously never played” jerks and the “coaches know better than you or it’d already have changed” can’t use those excuses and it’s not so complex that discussion is useless without a whiteboard. Just pure hockey talk. And best of all, no advanced stats.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #24
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As I said in the game thread, I would prefer going for a stick or replacement player in that situation, but reflecting on some of the discussion here, I would agree that covering the point man more closely is a valid alternative. Basically, anything is better than what Dube did, even the snow angels suggestion.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #25
Nasloond
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I immediately go and tackle Pavelski.
Nasloond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nasloond For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #26
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

From the goaltender perspective I want my player to go to a point man and be disruptive.

If you can get in a lane fine but don't try unless you can block the shot/pass. (aka don't screen me) I'll try and get a whistle if I can. I will also tell my guys to ice it if need be. We'll deal with the D zone face off after that.

Just don't blow the D zone and leave open a clean one-timer.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #27
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

In those circumstances, have to incorporate the third leg
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #28
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Get down on all fours and start barking like a wild dog at the nearest opposing player. This will be so distracting for the opposing team that they will forget about the puck, allowing a teammate to steal it and go down the ice on an uncontested break away.

Last edited by Murph; 08-17-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Only use wood sticks when protecting the lead, or killing a penalty. Golfers have different clubs for different purposes.
I actually love this idea and it never dawned on me. I doubt there is any NHL rule against wood sticks.

Well-made wood sticks still have flex and the "snap" that gets quick releases and hard wristers. They aren't the bulky ass heavy things the Rocket used to use.

They are quite light, although admittedly not as light as composites these days. In the dying minutes of the game though, as a player or coach, I'd rather have a wood stick to protect the lead.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #30
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

A better questions is, if your name is Tobias Rieder and your stick breaks in the offensive-zone what do you do?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #31
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

ask your teammate to smash the glass. it won't result in a delay of game penalty as we've already seen.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Get down on all fours and start barking like a wild dog at the nearest opposing player. This will be so distracting for the opposing team that they will forget about the puck, allowing a teammate to steal it and go down the ice on an uncontested break away.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #33
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Put me in the crowd of going back to the bench for a new stick or a new player. The amount of time this takes is less than most people think and it forces the opposition to notice this and take advantage in that small window. If you stay out on the ice, it gives the other team time to notice and exploit the advantage.

Basically, a bigger advantage for 5-6 seconds is likely harder to capitalize on rather than a small advantage for more than 6 seconds
Old 08-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #34
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is very difficult in today's NHL to cover a defenceman - without a stick - at the point without taking a penalty. I'm not a good hockey player, but whenever this happens in my beer league and I'm the defenceman being covered by a forward who has lost his stick, it's always a load of fun.

I get that the known strategy here is to stay on the ice, dog the defenceman, or try and block a shot. But if you're trying to be all over defenceman, you aren't going to be able to block a shot, and if you're trying to block a shot, you're still a pylon.

For my money, I'd take my chances getting off the ice or getting a new stick. But I don't think there's a coach alive who would agree with me.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-17-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #35
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Grab the goalies stick! He's got other stuff he can make a save with and you will have a massive blade to block the shot, skate down the ice and fire a backhand that no goalie in the world could guess where the puck will go.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #36
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was yelling at the TV for Dube to go to the bench yesterday so that’s where I stand. Don’t go right away if there is a chance for a hit or block and your teammates need to be aware but get to the bench as soon as reasonably possible.

As an aside what about when a goalie’s stick breaks, should a skater hand over their stick? I’d say no. Better to fully defend and ice the puck.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #37
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another point to add: if you're skating straight to the bench from your defensive zone to get a new stick, the other team's defense need to play more conservatively, similar to when a penalty expires and a player is coming out of the box behind your defense.

A bad turnover in the offensive zone will lead to a breakaway (similar to when a player is coming out of the box).
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesPuck12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #38
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Suppose it depends on the goaltender. Personally I handled the puck enough to make Mike Smith jealous so every practice/scrimmage I would spend a fair amount of time practicing without a stick for the inevitable situation of me losing it or it breaking because of how active I was so I told my players not to hand me theirs. (Habit a coach in midget got me on and I taught it in camps as well.) I assume I am in the minority there because if you don't practice it it's very awkward for the goaltender to lose theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I was yelling at the TV for Dube to go to the bench yesterday so that’s where I stand. Don’t go right away if there is a chance for a hit or block and your teammates need to be aware but get to the bench as soon as reasonably possible.

As an aside what about when a goalie’s stick breaks, should a skater hand over their stick? I’d say no. Better to fully defend and ice the puck.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #39
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Shoot the hostage.
Or, at the very least, be taller.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #40
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pull a Matthew Tkachuk and take a stick from an opposing team's player. We'd probably get a penalty, but Rieder will have a chance at another SHG. :shrug:
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote