Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Pop Quiz Hotshot: your stick breaks in the D-zone...what do you do!?!?!

Seeing a lot of posts about Dubé making the conventional choice of remaining in the play without his stick.

My personal flow chart (presuming a forward w/o stick):
1a. O-team has clean possession = stay in play
1b. Major puck battle = go to bench for change
1c. Minor puck battle/loose puck = go to #2
2c. Long change = stay in play
2d. Short change = go to bench for change

If going for a change, the replacement player needs to be ready and take a big liberty on the line change. The cardinal rule is that once you start to go to bench, there is no turning back.

Stick breaks are common enough these days that I think this is worth more attention (in training camp of a regular season). Just need a couple code words so everyone is aware when the stick is broken, and then when the player leaves.

It's a no-win situation, but one has to think that stat-wonks have looked at this? Though there probably isn't a large enough sample size for 'go-to-bench', and I don't think you can extrapolate regular PK stats b/c teammates may not aware/able to adjust quickly enough.

I recall a past big game (maybe in a Ducks series?) where a Flames stick broke on the PK - he left to get a new one/change, but the puck immediately ended up in our net...anyone remember the details more clearly and have a clip?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

People saying players are useless without a stick are out to lunch. If the other team has full possession you have to stay in the zone. You can still use your body to block passes or put pressure on players.

Blowing coverage and forcing your team to defend 5-4, especially if there’s a long change, even for 10 seconds, can definitely result in a goal.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Put my body on the ice and block the F out of anything I can.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you are a forward you go to one of the defenceman from the other team at the point and shadow him completely follow him everywhere.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
If you are a forward you go to one of the defenceman from the other team at the point and shadow him completely follow him everywhere.
Was just about to say this as well. If you're out of the play, take someone else with you. I don't know why we don't see this more often. If you take away the high point, and that pass, the other 4 defensive players can box out the rest of the offense. It makes no sense to me why the forward without a stick floats in the high slot, shadowing the puck, just pick the defenseman with the better point shot, rush him, and stay within 6 inches of him til you can get off the ice.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
People saying players are useless without a stick are out to lunch. If the other team has full possession you have to stay in the zone. You can still use your body to block passes or put pressure on players.

Blowing coverage and forcing your team to defend 5-4, especially if there’s a long change, even for 10 seconds, can definitely result in a goal.
I'm of the opinion that if you don't have a stick, you either get off the ice for a change, or you go physically pressure the point up close so that the other four guys can at least play 4 on 4. Essentially - you need to play a 4+1 at that point.

The worst thing you can do is what Dube did there.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skate directly into the net and stay inside the net behind your goalie.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Skate at the point player with the puck then if the pass is made grab a stick from the bench
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
And be very careful not to take a penalty. Without a stick, it's very obvious if you grab or obstruct.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #10
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Double smash their best player over the head with the broken halves
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Shoot the hostage.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's definitely situational- if you are in a position to block a shot or otherwise disrupt the play you have to do it.

That being said, I think there are relatively few situations that emerge where it wouldn't be best just to sprint to the bench for a change. Most of the time the broken stick does result in an ineffective defender or odd-man situation against- regardless of whether it has to or not, most players I have watched over the years aren't quick enough to adapt sans stick in this scenario to make it worthwhile.

If I was coaching the instruction to any of my forwards with a broken stick is to haul ass to the bench right away so I can send another player over the boards. Potential exists for this to result in a rush the other way too.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #13
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.) Immediately drop broken stick because I don't want to take a penalty
2.) Scream at the nearest official, "#### off!! That was a ####ing slash ref!!" even if it wasn't actually one
3.) Find my check, don't leave him, shove him Regehr style if the puck comes close
4.) If your check just happens to be on the correct side of the ice just go change and scream "PK! PK!" to make your other four teammates on the ice go into penalty kill formation for the 5 seconds it takes for you to go change.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #14
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Get the goalie to 'accidentally' knock the net off
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shadowing another player will often result in a penalty, because you have two empty and free hands with nothing to do but reach out and grab your check.

It takes less than 10 seconds to go get a stick in the 2nd period, and more like 5 seconds in the 1st and 3rd periods. The offensive team isn't getting a 5 on 4 situation set up in that amount of time.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #16
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

It takes less than 10 seconds to go get a stick in the 2nd period, and more like 5 seconds in the 1st and 3rd periods. The offensive team isn't getting a 5 on 4 situation set up in that amount of time.
Issue with this is that a team down a man on penalty kill knows this and the players adjust accordingly, playing a zone.

If a player breaks a stick and beelines to the bench, the rest of the defensive team is playing man to man and the now uncovered player can float in to prime scoring position unmarked.

It would take a concentrated team effort of ok, teammate has broken his stick, we will shift to PK structure and let him race to bench.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
Issue with this is that a team down a man on penalty kill knows this and the players adjust accordingly, playing a zone.

If a player breaks a stick and beelines to the bench, the rest of the defensive team is playing man to man and the now uncovered player can float in to prime scoring position unmarked.

It would take a concentrated team effort of ok, teammate has broken his stick, we will shift to PK structure and let him race to bench.
Yes, and that's a great point.

It is also easily coached. Easy thing to work on in pre-season: this is what we do when someone breaks a stick.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #18
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would prefer that the skater just skate to the bench and grab a stick.

It takes 10 seconds at most to skate to the far bench (center ice) and back so that's about 10 seconds of being on the PK.
Staying in the zone without your stick allows the other team to setup a perfect play and you're effectively playing shorthanded for longer than 10 seconds.
The situation gets a lot worse if the other team is able to put extended pressure and your team ends up taking a penalty, now you're shorthanded for more than 2 minutes.

In the qualifier game, 2 of the Leafs players broke their sticks, and after awhile, Matthews decided to just dash to the bench while the other team had clean possession. I wish our players did that as well when they break their stick.

I was shocked when Rieder broke his stick near the bench (I think it was 2nd period, so we were closer to the offensive zone) and then decided to skate back into our D zone instead of just changing.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #19
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is faster to skate to the bench and have someone else jump out for a change than it is to grab a stick and turn around. IMO, that is the ideal response: race to the bench and let someone else jump on (cheating by the marginal amount that you can get away with).

Very minimal downtime, with fresh legs coming out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #20
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me, I would be cursing all the way to the bench because that stick cost $300.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post: