Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

tron - i am asking as i am off to fernie next week for biking and was considering doing a day at the park if my legs get tired.

what is the resort doing in terms of folks on the lifts - how many on a chair?
what if you are riding as a single? and what are the lift lineups like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I'm in and out of Fernie every weekend (I own property out there) and I have had zero issues with anyone anywhere. People are quite happy to see the "red plates" because they know it means money into the communities.

I recently got back into DH biking at the resort, and I have to say I'm having a heck of a summer. Biking and patio beers every weekend, and the pool in our resort is open so the kids get to hang out in the sun, and then go for a swim during the day in our allocated time slots.

Fernie in the summer is pretty damn amazing. I had heard it was good, but I didn't realize HOW good it is. Biking, camping, hiking, fishing, golfing, shopping, rafting, boating, spas, para gliding, brewery, restaurants, the list is endless and it's all right there.

Would recommend it to anyone for sure.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #22
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Driving our daughter to Kamloops for University at the end of August. Kinda concerned we are going to get the evil eye from BC xenophobes. Hoping our vehicle makes it through unscathed.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Driving our daughter to Kamloops for University at the end of August. Kinda concerned we are going to get the evil eye from BC xenophobes. Hoping our vehicle makes it through unscathed.

Are not all courses on-line for the fall semester?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #24
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driving to Vancouver, fully expecting some BC jackass to confront me about my Alberta plates at a gas station or something.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #25
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last week of August, just the hubs & I are off to Banff then through BC, for our 30th anniversary. We have a gift card to be used at one of several hotels in Banff, so we'll do that for a day or maybe 2, then an early start out to the Creston area to visit my brother on his acreage (staying in a travel trailer on the property, social distancing visiting) - hoping to do a bit of fishing with him & his family, in a couple of his "secret spots." Will probably come back via Hwy 3, not sure yet, but we'll have our mtb so I'd really really REALLY love to hit up Fernie for some riding for a few hours but we'll see. We're still in the planning stages yet. Aside from that, we've been camping (private property) & doing some day trips out along the trunk road etc.

Last edited by Minnie; 07-27-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thousands of Albertans are travelling to BC daily or on the weekends. You will be fine.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #27
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Are not all courses on-line for the fall semester?
It varies by school but do know some people who's kids are still planning on relocating to campus and vicinity regardless. There are oehr reasons to physically be on campus (athletics etc.) as well.

Greyship, is your daughter the one who was playing varsity volleyball?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #28
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It varies by school but do know some people who's kids are still planning on relocating to campus and vicinity regardless. There are oehr reasons to physically be on campus (athletics etc.) as well.

Greyship, is your daughter the one who was playing varsity volleyball?
Close, yes my daughter has to be physically present in order to qualify for her athletic scholarship. (Basketball)

Kind of a frustrating situation, but whats new hey?
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

BC Premier John Horgan has suggested public transit or riding bicycles for anyone travelling in BC with out of province license plates that feels harassed.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/out-of-provinc...ises-1.5040848
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #30
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man #### British Columbia. I'm gonna talk to the wife about going elsewhere within Alberta. Not out of fear for our van but not giving a dime to that province.

Edit: Just told the wife what Horgan said , and she was blown away. And she's pretty level headed , a lot more reasonable than I am.

Last edited by White Out 403; 07-27-2020 at 03:47 PM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #31
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horgan just playing to his smuggy BC base. Cook the books on testing so you look like stars nevermind the 5% CFR.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #32
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea #### that guy. What a clown.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #33
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

How hard would of been to say that Canada as a whole is hurting and we need to work together, being spiteful does not help. Easy peasy.

When you have a lot of industries and regions that depend on tourist dollars, this doesn't help.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #34
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I would suggest that they get their plates changed"

How the hell are we supposed to do that Horgan?? %$#& BC
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #35
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
"I would suggest that they get their plates changed"

How the hell are we supposed to do that Horgan?? %$#& BC
What , are we ####ing criminals? I have to change my plate like I just jacked a bank? #### you horgan. #### I hate the NDP in BC.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Horgan has also asked people to avoid non-essential travel over the BC/Alberta border, hasn't he? I don't think BC is yet at a point where they want to in any way encourage tourism.

And yet, Albertans who want to go to BC for a vacation are mad? I get the low-risk threat of being harassed in BC is annoying, but if you shouldn't be there in the first place if you're going on a vacation. Horgan's comments have shifted my thoughts from "I'm not going to BC" to "I'm definitely not going to BC." To be fair, his message to residents was to consider the fact that they don't know someone's travel intent just based on out of province plates, but I don't really think Horgan minds Alberta vacationers feeling unwelcome. We are unwelcome. Why are we going there?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #37
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Horgan has also asked people to avoid non-essential travel over the BC/Alberta border, hasn't he? I don't think BC is yet at a point where they want to in any way encourage tourism.

And yet, Albertans who want to go to BC for a vacation are mad? I get the low-risk threat of being harassed in BC is annoying, but if you shouldn't be there in the first place if you're going on a vacation. Horgan's comments have shifted my thoughts from "I'm not going to BC" to "I'm definitely not going to BC." To be fair, his message to residents was to consider the fact that they don't know someone's travel intent just based on out of province plates, but I don't really think Horgan minds Alberta vacationers feeling unwelcome. We are unwelcome. Why are we going there?
Because BC isn't a separate country.

What a garbage take.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #38
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, looks like things took a bit of a turn in this thread.

Thanks to everyone who posted. Sounds like a lot of trips out west are planned, which is totally fine -- just not something we are going to pursue this year.

Hope everyone is able to stay healthy and travel safely
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #39
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...f22BV_AyFqv_-U

okay so in this context it's not quite as bad. but still a bad look for BC. as backwards as our southern friends are we shouldnt be vandalizing their ####.

Last edited by White Out 403; 07-27-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #40
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Because BC isn't a separate country.

What a garbage take.
Yeah? So? You still have every right to go vacation there if you want, but their official stance is still that people should avoid non-essential travel over the border. Why should he make things nicer for people who are ignoring that anyway?

"Hey everyone I know our official stance is against non-essential travel but please be nice to everyone ignoring that."

That's kind of a silly thing to expect.

I don't like Horgan and wouldn't be travelling to BC anyway, but what do they owe Albertan vacationers anyway?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote