Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #61
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETokyo View Post
I would appreciate any and all suggestions regarding a supplier/installer for new Windows for our house.
House in Calgary, Lakeview.

The current windows are from the mid-1960's.
I am looking to replace a few windows each year for several years (budget).
Can you recommend a window supplier, maker.
Thanks
Check out LIFT renovations. PM me, I can put you in touch with one of the owners. Extremely knowledgeable team.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:24 AM   #62
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever used green fox? I was planning to give Luxx and supreme a call for a quote, but chatted with Green Fox at the home and garden show. One thing that stuck out to me is that the guy was selling their team and installers and warranty as much as he was selling windows if not more. This makes sense since they buy from a manufacturer and install anyways, but are they worth considering? Or really Damn good for sales pitch?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:42 AM   #63
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

What's the ballpark rate anyone has seen for replacing an Original 90's sliding glass door + paired window? I'd love to have my budget set before I talk to the companies.
(and have some of you swapped the sliding glass for a real door?)

I'm sure this winter the door cost me 50/mo in heating costs alone.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:09 AM   #64
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
What's the ballpark rate anyone has seen for replacing an Original 90's sliding glass door + paired window? I'd love to have my budget set before I talk to the companies.
(and have some of you swapped the sliding glass for a real door?)

I'm sure this winter the door cost me 50/mo in heating costs alone.
We replaced our patio sliders (double - ~16ft wide) last year. $7600
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2023, 03:14 PM   #65
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Has anyone ever used green fox? I was planning to give Luxx and supreme a call for a quote, but chatted with Green Fox at the home and garden show. One thing that stuck out to me is that the guy was selling their team and installers and warranty as much as he was selling windows if not more. This makes sense since they buy from a manufacturer and install anyways, but are they worth considering? Or really Damn good for sales pitch?
I have not dealt with green fox but in 2019 my parents used supreme windows and we used lux windows. I was extremely happy with Lux they did a great job. My parents window install went good but they were very picky and made things more complicated also had to get some double panes which since frost up like crazy cause they keep the humidity crazy high.

Lux was great because they explained things really well different coatings on the window to keep heat in the house in the winter and keep it out in the summer. versus ecoline sleaze bags that don't explain things and were gunna put in windows that keep heat in the house in the winter but same coating on the outside which would keep the house hotter in the summer.

Also they lied to our face to get us to rush into signing with them..
Old 02-28-2023, 05:37 PM   #66
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am slowly upgrading all the windows in my house through these guys.

https://www.exteriorsystems.ca/

Small Local company but great attention to detail and honest. Goes the extra mile to clean up after as well.

For me, because we have used them through the years, no deposit required regardless of the quote. Obviously YMMV.

I am installing Gentek Windows. HE may be able to get other brands as well.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:47 PM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I am slowly upgrading all the windows in my house through these guys.

https://www.exteriorsystems.ca/

Small Local company but great attention to detail and honest. Goes the extra mile to clean up after as well.

For me, because we have used them through the years, no deposit required regardless of the quote. Obviously YMMV.

I am installing Gentek Windows. HE may be able to get other brands as well.
Did they copy their webpage from California?

Quote:
It’s important for Southern California homeowners to know the different ways a window can be replaced. Windows are your protection from the elements: heat, cold, U-V light wind, rain, mold, moisture, etc. Newer installation methods are more advanced and designed to keep these elements out.
Discover how Exterior Systems Window and Door delivers not only the best products, but the advantage of expert installation, so your replacement windows provide all the benefits you want for your San Diego or Corona area home. Schedule an in-home appointment with us today!
Quote:
Exterior Systems Window and Door is the only authorized Infinity® from Marvin® retailer and installer in Southern California. We are certified and trusted by Marvin to install their products the right way.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:30 PM   #68
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lux was good, but the finishing work on the trim and stuff from the installers was a little on poor side. If I knew how things were going to go, I’d have had a drywaller or painter come in and fix things up like damage to the walls around where the old windows and trim came out, before they proceed with the new.

Also - the $7600 for the new sliding door replacement sounds steep, is that normal?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2023, 06:49 AM   #69
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Lux was good, but the finishing work on the trim and stuff from the installers was a little on poor side. If I knew how things were going to go, I’d have had a drywaller or painter come in and fix things up like damage to the walls around where the old windows and trim came out, before they proceed with the new.

Also - the $7600 for the new sliding door replacement sounds steep, is that normal?
Maybe it is? It's a big double - so four panels, two fixed and two sliding - each about 4ft by whatever a 'standard' height would be. It was a full house reno so all windows and doors got replaced by Lux. Overall price was in line with the other quotes we got - can't remember the details on the patio slider only, whether it was significantly less elsewhere. Windows took 19 weeks to get (about a year ago) - not sure if/how those delivery times have changed since then.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #70
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did they copy their webpage from California?
LOL...They may have expanded their operating area...

But I like your reason better...
Old 03-01-2023, 03:49 PM   #71
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Maybe it is? It's a big double - so four panels, two fixed and two sliding - each about 4ft by whatever a 'standard' height would be. It was a full house reno so all windows and doors got replaced by Lux. Overall price was in line with the other quotes we got - can't remember the details on the patio slider only, whether it was significantly less elsewhere. Windows took 19 weeks to get (about a year ago) - not sure if/how those delivery times have changed since then.

So for a single set, maybe $3800 at the high end?
Old 03-01-2023, 04:28 PM   #72
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

The $7600 mentioned was for a double 16 ft one/4x4ft panels. That's a big ####ing sliding door. I wonder if there's special folding panels, widening/structural stuff to make it fit, plus track replacement/retrofitting, grading, repairs etc. that had to be done as part of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
So for a single set, maybe $3800 at the high end?
I think you can still hit around $5-6K on the high end for a 2 x 4ft which seems like what normal sliding door size is around? Maybe slightly wider?

But I wonder if your expectations might be pretty close if you can just pull out the old (I assume similar sized) sliding doors and put one back in and include materials shortage premiums?

Full on custom front doors with frosted glass or fancy glass inserts are close to that $5-6K range. Most sliders don't have that type of fancy stuff in it, so I'd be scared if "normal" sliding doors (2 x 3-4 ft) exceeded those prices.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #73
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At our former Cochrane home we replaced the man door with a sliding patio door. So, they had to remove three small windows, one on each side and above door, it had to be all reframed, then the new patio door installed, and then new siding, etc. It was $3000. We used Gienow. That was in 2018.

Currently we are changing all of our windows in our home and using Cossins. We've been super happy with them. They are pricey and a lot higher quality than what was in our current home.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote