Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #221
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
My buddy is teaching me how to play. This game is far too addictive.

I've been using Nasus and Master Yi. I really like Nasus' Q, but it's hard to build up when being harassed. Master Yi has some serious punch but my buddy says he becomes more useless the higher your level.
Barely anyone plays Nasus at a high level - he is so difficult to build up Q stacks on when you are up against someone competent in lane and a Jungler devoted to shutting you down.

The basic counter vs. Nasus is to allow Nasus to last hit the first 2 or 3 minions to cause the wave to start pushing, then to zone him / deny him at level 2. You can do this with a lot of ranged Champs, to the point where he can have 30 minion kills in 15 minutes without significant jungler help.

Because Nasus's mana costs are so high, if he tries to use Wither or Spirit Fire, he will go OOM within 5 minutes.

I've had some success with weird builds on him vs low burst champions (start as potion master Nasus in lane) and have life steal quints or armor quints. But if you're against a Teemo or something, just lane swap. It isn't worth the pain.

Master Yi is pretty fun to use, but like any melee glass cannon assassin, when teams learn focus him, he really falls off hard. He works great vs. low level disorganization though.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #222
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So mad I started S3 7-1 but only got put at 1350ish elo, then came home after a party well lubed and lost like 4-5.

Moral of story, don't play ranked under the influence.

I have been playing mostly Singed/Olaf top, or Olaf/rengar/maokai jungle. I'm loving Olaf again, and Singed is near unbeatable against a lot of top players.

Neat to see Teemo getting bans now in ranked, I've always enjoyed AP teemo and he's quite annoying now for opponents.
Playing ranked drunk does not help, but also keep in mind that those first 10 placement games will sometimes be so much easier than normal ranked.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #223
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I'm really enjoy playing Pantheon. I love the Skyfall skill - nothing better than landing in the middle of a group of minions and seeing all of the die and getting all the gold!! lol
Pantheon can be pretty fun to use, but he is mostly a hard lane counter.

His early game vs. soft characters is completely insane. It is sometimes fun if you have to support to pick Pantheon and just kill everything in bot lane.

New Black Cleaver is very good on him (his E procs it 3x).

But Pantheon is pretty much useless late game. Expect to die every single team fight.

Also hitting your Skyfalls takes practice. It has such a delay (4 freaking seconds) in the landing that most people will get out of it should they choose to, it is best if your team has some sort of hard engage (like a Malphite ult or something) you can combo it with that.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #224
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I did a Nasus top vs a Teemo a few days back and dominated him. He whooped me good at lvl 3 but it was GG once I got 6. He's a good top laner, you just need to play it smart and try and last hit as much as possible with Q. You'll most likely be facing another AD/bruiser at top, so I tend to build lots of armour early on. Also don't be afraid to push the lane a bit more on Nasus. If you ward properly you can see ganks incoming but just incase you don't see it, he has a few anti-gank tricks up his sleave with wither and his ult, as well as flash if you take it.

Just picked up Mundo for jungling two nights ago and am loving him so far. Rush a Warmog's and I feel like Singed at times running around everyone in circles with his awesome ult. Chuckin' cleavers is a blast also haha

Hecarim still my favourite to jungle with.

Thinking of a few other jungles to try out that I haven't tried yet. Shyvana, Rammus or Rengar?
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #225
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Been playing a lot of HoN mid wars lately, so much fun. Games are really quick and its non stop action.. anyone else giving it a go?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #226
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcKNoVa View Post
Thinking of a few other jungles to try out that I haven't tried yet. Shyvana, Rammus or Rengar?
None of the above.

I would say all of them are severely underpowered at the moment.

The only one I would consider playing with is Rengar once they revert some of his nerfs.

Shyvana clears quickly (but slower for S3 compared to S2) but she takes more damage, her overall advantage as a Jungler has fallen off in S3. Her ganks may be the worst thing on the planet - your lanes need a far amount of hard CC in order to take adavntage of anything she offers.

I cringe when a teammate takes her.

Rammus is just slow. I love Rammus, but he is so very very slow on the first clear and clears beyond that.

Actually I saw a really nice Rammus template which may make him more viable midgame - basically Rush Homeguard / Mobility boots. When you start rolling from the Nexus, you can actually end up at your midlane turret by the time your homeguard buff ends. It actually provides really good map mobility and objective control.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #227
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm starting to get ok with Nasus. My teamwork could use a little work. Sometimes i get lost trying to build up my Q. :/

I think my next champion purchase's are going to be Katarina and Tristana. I like Trist's abilities to bounce away from trouble, and i tend to put myself in trouble lots.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #228
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
I'm starting to get ok with Nasus. My teamwork could use a little work. Sometimes i get lost trying to build up my Q. :/

I think my next champion purchase's are going to be Katarina and Tristana. I like Trist's abilities to bounce away from trouble, and i tend to put myself in trouble lots.
some of the best Tristina bounce themselves into the middle of trouble, and then use their ULT to bounce the enemy back to their own team
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #229
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I play Garen, the might of Demacia.

Too lazy to learn any other champion; plus I don't like relying on Mana.

So much to learn in this game; Complicated but addicting.
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #230
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperriffic View Post

You should try out Renekton, Riven or Dr. Mundo. None of them have mana and they're fun.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #231
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperriffic View Post

Can anyone tell me why Garen has a buldge in his armor? Is he over weight? Is he stuffing socks in the wrong spot??

spoiler for size

Spoiler!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #232
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

You're rushing a black cleaver on Garen, right?

It may be the best weapon for him right now as each spin applies the armor shred from it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #233
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
Can anyone tell me why Garen has a buldge in his armor? Is he over weight? Is he stuffing socks in the wrong spot??

spoiler for size
Hernia
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #234
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Hernia
Thats what I thought, he needs a doctor or Soraka ASAP!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #235
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Been playing a lot of HoN mid wars lately, so much fun. Games are really quick and its non stop action.. anyone else giving it a go?
It's pretty much all I play currently.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #236
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
You should try out Renekton, Riven or Dr. Mundo. None of them have mana and they're fun.
Thanks! will do. Riven looks deadly!

By the way I've learned that its best to max out the "E" first on Garen, and try to equip high critical chance items. You simply spin and tear through anything.
It's also best to NOT dive in first in a 5v5 fight with Garen; they'll eat you alive. I feel Garen is best at finishing off people with less than 50% health remaining.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #237
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavy View Post

Yeah...I also hate the coloring of this. I wanted to buy the very last Garen skin but they cost Riot points and you have to pay for them. $5 for a skin change? I don't know about that...
Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #238
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've started to learn how to use Veigar. His timing is a little weird and his stun takes some getting use to but I love his burst. Gotta learn to get my burst off fast and get the heck out though.

I was trying to work on my Nasus some more but playing with randoms usually you get teams where 2 or 3 other people already pick tops then then we are completely doomed from the start.

I've gotten into the habit of waiting for my team to choose are their champs and if we need a top I go Nasus/Garen, if we need an AP mid I go Veigar, if we need a AD bot then I got Tristiana. I'm thinking about which support champ to get and hoping to start jungling when I get a couple levels higher. I'm only 13 at the moment.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #239
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of support champs...the new one is on the test server and looks awesome.

BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #240
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember some CP members had this minecraft server going; anyone ever consider some type of League of Legends CP Team?