Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #1041
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I landed in Salt Lake City this afternoon, grabbed a taxi right away, he took me to my hotel, and I paid with Visa. I must have got the unicorn of taxi drivers.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #1042
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No, just a city other than Calgary.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #1043
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I landed in Salt Lake City this afternoon, grabbed a taxi right away, he took me to my hotel, and I paid with Visa. I must have got the unicorn of taxi drivers.
If it didnt fly its worthless. Probably just a regular horse wearing a party hat. Dont fall for that crap.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #1044
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
No, just a city other than Calgary.
Haha, yup, cuz Uber only works in Calgary because it's taxis are special bad.

Taxis suck everywhere, dude.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #1045
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Haha, yup, cuz Uber only works in Calgary because it's taxis are special bad.

Taxis suck everywhere, dude.
I dont find that.

Anecdotally of course, but I've had nothing but great experiences with Taxis in most places, Vegas, New York, Mexico, Tahiti, most of Europe, although in Europe taxis are outrageously expensive. I remember telling a Black Cabby in London that I only wanted a ride I didnt want to buy the freaking car.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #1046
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont find that.

Anecdotally of course, but I've had nothing but great experiences with Taxis in most places, Vegas, New York, Mexico, Tahiti, most of Europe, although in Europe taxis are outrageously expensive. I remember telling a Black Cabby in London that I only wanted a ride I didnt want to buy the freaking car.
Mostly tourist destinations though, right? I'd be interested in cities similar to Calgary in size/popularity for comparison of mid size city taxi effectiveness.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #1047
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Mostly tourist destinations though, right? I'd be interested in cities similar to Calgary in size/popularity for comparison of mid size city taxi effectiveness.
Well screw you, I'm not hoofing it out to Winnipeg or Brandon or Antigonish to give the local hire-car system a whirl.

"Yeah Honey, I know I said we'd go to Hawaii on our vacation but I've got to check out the taxi service in Rural Northern Ontario!"

Old 11-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #1048
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Hahaha, Locke, I'm sending you and your family out on a North American taxi rating exercise. The super B trip it's called - Brandon, Manitoba followed by Branson, Missouri. Please report your findings!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #1049
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Hahaha, Locke, I'm sending you and your family out on a North American taxi rating exercise. The super B trip it's called - Brandon, Manitoba followed by Branson, Missouri. Please report your findings!
"And I assume Branson is some sort of all-one-cares-to-eat establishment?"

Get in the car kids! We're going to Branson!

Old 11-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #1050
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well screw you, I'm not hoofing it out to Winnipeg or Brandon or Antigonish to give the local hire-car system a whirl.

"Yeah Honey, I know I said we'd go to Hawaii on our vacation but I've got to check out the taxi service in Rural Northern Ontario!"
Funny enough - there's a guy in Antigonish named Willy that hangs out outside the pub and drives people home on the weekends. Any other time during the week you would call him up and he would come get you. $5 a trip anywhere you want to go inside town. Actually ended up making the cab companies (there were two of them) drop their rates.

Willy is the OG Uber.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #1051
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Funny enough - there's a guy in Antigonish named Willy that hangs out outside the pub and drives people home on the weekends. Any other time during the week you would call him up and he would come get you. $5 a trip anywhere you want to go inside town. Actually ended up making the cab companies (there were two of them) drop their rates.

Willy is the OG Uber.
That is...how do you know this? Anyways, props to Antigonish Willy. He was Uber before it was cool. The Hipster Cabbie.

I love how there is only 'The' Pub, not 'A' pub. I've never been. Dont really ever plan on going either.

Thats being a cabbie in a nutshell. "Pay me money and I'll take you where you want to go."

Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #1052
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
So I started thinking numbers (math guys can correct me if I'm wrong):

Calgary has a population of around a million, with 1500 taxis (I think, based on this old CBC article).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lief-1.1376084

That's a ratio of 0.0015 cabs per person (roughly)

I know I always throw out Beijing as a comparable, but I'm there a lot and I use cabs there a lot as well. Beijing population is 21 million (and growing), with 70 000 cabs (0.003 cabs per person). I don't ever have a problem getting a cab there, but there is a shortage looming because of their explosive population growth. People are already complaining about "selective" habits of their drivers (sound familiar?)

Essentially Beijing, with their cab "shortage", still has double the cabs per capita that we do.

Someone please give me ANY good reason we are restricting cab licenses. No wonder Uber is killing it in this market, it's TOTALLY underserved on the supply side. You could probably put hundreds (a thousand?) of Uber drivers on the road just to get to a decent cab to population ratio.

Maybe that's what the city is afraid of? They know we have a massive cab shortage, and they don't want it filled with an "unregulated" service that has the potential to match the amount of cabs currently running?
We ended up walking everywhere when we were in Beijing. Couldn't get a legal taxi to save our life, and the illegal ones only rip you off. One of our friends actually caught a taxi, but ended having to walk 10 blocks because it turned out her cabby had no idea where a fancy hotel in the CBD was. We all had cards to give cabbies to tell them where to go and it didn't matter. I'm pretty sure they couldn't read. Fun part was we got to walk through some incredibly sketchy areas because Google maps gave us the most direct (not safest) route. Fun times. At least we got to see the real Beijing.

Had a much better experience in Shanghai.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #1053
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andddddd they're done

Quote:
Earlier today, an Alberta court ruled against ridesharing driver-partners in Calgary.

While today's decision is unfortunate, we acknowledge the ruling and will suspend operations effective 6:00AM tomorrow, Saturday November 21st. We will work with the City on establishing a regulatory framework that will allow Uber to resume operations as soon as possible.

We are incredibly grateful for the support riders and drivers have shown us in recent weeks. In the meantime, we will continue to keep you informed and let you know of new ways for you to show your support. You can make your voice heard by reaching out to Councillors and sharing your story on social media using the hashtag #YYC4UBER.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #1054
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got a email from Uber as of 6am tomorrow they are suspending operations in Calgary after they lost in court today.

grrrrrrr
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #1055
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great. I look forward to not getting s cab this holiday season
Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #1056
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eff that.

Consumers lose again for the Holiday season.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #1057
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
an Alberta court
Shouldn't Edmonton be included?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #1058
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Never even had a chance to use it. Such garbage, we're back to being unable to get any reasonable taxi service just in time for the biggest demand of the year
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #1059
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well at least Calgarians will be safe over the holiday season the carnage caused by Uber was no doubt going to be off the charts.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #1060
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Andddddd they're done
Unfortunate. I enjoyed the 2 weeks that I could find a cab on 8th avenue when the bars were open.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote