Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #2481
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Or rate them 1 star for asking for handouts when they're supposed to be a professional.

Tipping is a voluntary act of kindness to recognise outstanding service, and the drivers that are out there trying to trick people into thinking it's commonplace by presenting, unprompted, the place you should go to make your tip should be taken off the road.

It's not vindictive. Drivers who ask for handouts are unprofessional. 1 star.
If you read the Uber pages they expect a tip like other cabbies. So it is expected by drivers
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #2482
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you read the Uber pages they expect a tip like other cabbies. So it is expected by drivers
Some of them do, and they shouldn't. Neither should cabbies.

Expecting tips is a huge part of what's wrong with the service industry in general. Do your job and be thankful if the person you're serving thinks you've gone above and beyond to deserve a tip. Here's the thing: if you really deserve a tip, don't worry, you won't need to explain how the customer can tip you unprompted, they'll ask you.

I'd happily 1 star any driver that assumed they deserved a tip, and I'd happily tip any driver that actually deserved it: no prompt required.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #2483
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Expecting tips is a huge part of what's wrong with the service industry in general. Do your job and be thankful if the person you're serving thinks you've gone above and beyond to deserve a tip. Here's the thing: if you really deserve a tip, don't worry, you won't need to explain how the customer can tip you unprompted, they'll ask you.

I'd happily 1 star any driver that assumed they deserved a tip, and I'd happily tip any driver that actually deserved it: no prompt required.
It doesn't sound like he expected the tip. It sounds like he gave a link that the passenger could tip if s/he wanted to. It no way, given the information, that the driver expected or felt entitled to a gratuity. It's similar to the tip jar at a diner by the cash register. If you feel like throwing money inside, great. If not, that's okay too.

Since uber is charged automatically to your credit card, maybe the passenger didn't know there was an option to tip. I didn't know that, and I've taken uber a few times. I almost never have cash on me, so if I wanted to tip a driver, this would be the way I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #2484
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are the "Uber pages"? If tipping is part of the deal then it ain't any cheaper than a cab, but you have the awkward part of "driver not sure if you want to smalltalk so he starts smalltalking".

I have noticed since Uber came on the scene that the reliability of interac machines in cabs has really improved. Think of Uber what you will, but that's a real bonus!

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
4X4, V
Old 04-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #2485
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the guy has a sign or something in his car, with the address of the tipping site, that's letting you know how if you're interested.

If he texts you after the ride, with the link, that's asking for a tip.

I thought the big sell for Uber was its "no tipping" policy? That, and the free water bottles, which I have never received.

Last edited by Amethyst; 04-15-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #2486
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
What are the "Uber pages"? If tipping is part of the deal then it ain't any cheaper than a cab, but you have the awkward part of "driver not sure if you want to smalltalk so he starts smalltalking".

I have noticed since Uber came on the scene that the reliability of interac machines in cabs has really improved. Think of Uber what you will, but that's a real bonus!
I don't have the link on my phone but there is a forum of current and former uber drivers. It's linked somewhere in this thread. One of the complaints is a lack of tipping and people assuming they don't have to do it..

And you don't have to tip in cab. It's ridiculous that you would tip in a cab but not tip in an uber for the same service.

Last edited by GGG; 04-15-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #2487
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That's because they're finding out how unlucrative the rideshare industry is for drivers. It kind of works as a second job, both those looking to make a career out of it are finding out how tight they are squeezed.

People all over social media and in this thread where pretty vocal with the statement "I'll happily pay more than the cab industry if they are available when I need them". I wonder how many of those people are now tipping vs complaining that drivers would want a tip.

If you like the service Uber provides and now know (it's pretty common knowledge how badly the drivers are squeezed) how they're paid, maybe it should become part of your standard payment to tip them out of support for the frontline workers of an industry you like and hold up against others?

Last edited by jayswin; 04-15-2017 at 11:49 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #2488
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You're the same guy who thought pizza drivers in Calgary got minimum wage so a tip wasn't required....

You're honestly so out of reality when it comes to tipping.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #2489
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I realize this is a very stupid question, I am going to Vegas in a couple of weeks and never used Uber. Do you sit in the front with the driver or in the back if you are by yourself?
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #2490
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I always sit in the back. Mainly because I have no interest in talking to the driver.

I usually tip as well if it's a long drive. Did Calgary-okotoks once and tipped $15 after being saved more than double that with a cab. I never bother if it's around $7-$10.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #2491
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have the link on my phone but there is a forum of current and former uber drivers. It's linked somewhere in this thread. One of the complaints is a lack of tipping and people assuming they don't have to do it..

And you don't have to tip in cab. It's ridiculous that you would tip in a cab but not tip in an uber for the same service.
Ridiculous or not, it's not the same service.

Uber sold me on the fact that it's quick, cheap, and you know what you are paying before you get in the car. The transaction is pre-arranged. That's the best part.

Cabs don't work that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #2492
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I realize this is a very stupid question, I am going to Vegas in a couple of weeks and never used Uber. Do you sit in the front with the driver or in the back if you are by yourself?

Was in Vegas about a month ago and used Uber several times. Unbelievable service in that city...never waited more than 5 minutes or so for a ride and i was way out in the boonies a few times. All the guys I used were also with Lyft. There are stickers with a "U" and/or an "L"on their windows identifying this

Also, I always sit in the back as well.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #2493
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always sit in the front - and I talk to the driver.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #2494
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ridiculous or not, it's not the same service.

Uber sold me on the fact that it's quick, cheap, and you know what you are paying before you get in the car. The transaction is pre-arranged. That's the best part.

Cabs don't work that way.
And none of those features change what the service the driver of the vehicle who can't set their own rates did for you.

I'm not saying Uber drivers should be tipped just that you behaviour should be consistent across the board for people who provide a ride service for you.

It's just a new pet peace of mine that people will say Uber is so much cheaper than a cab and I don't have to tip. It makes no sense to include the tip in a comparison of the cost of services when it's optional in both cases and the logic for doing so is the same on both cases.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #2495
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And none of those features change what the service the driver of the vehicle who can't set their own rates did for you.

I'm not saying Uber drivers should be tipped just that you behaviour should be consistent across the board for people who provide a ride service for you.

It's just a new pet peace of mine that people will say Uber is so much cheaper than a cab and I don't have to tip. It makes no sense to include the tip in a comparison of the cost of services when it's optional in both cases and the logic for doing so is the same on both cases.
Having the entire transaction settled before I get in the car is a major selling point. It's as big a reason as any to use it.

Truth be told though, I am back calling cabs because of all the bad news I've heard about Uber lately.

But still! The POINT STANDS1!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #2496
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
You're the same guy who thought pizza drivers in Calgary got minimum wage so a tip wasn't required....

You're honestly so out of reality when it comes to tipping.
I am the same guy, and some do. Let it die! You're so angry and grudgy.

If you'll notice, these are two entirely different situations. The issue here is asking for a tip (or blatantly suggesting the option) in an industry where it's neither required nor the standard. There's absolutely nothing wrong with tipping your driver, but I believe there is something wrong with a driver who goes around texting his riders unprompted, telling them where they should go to tip. This is a situation where the driver clear thinks a tip should be considered, as they wouldn't send the text otherwise, and I think that's trashy.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:15 AM   #2497
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Having the entire transaction settled before I get in the car is a major selling point. It's as big a reason as any to use it.

Truth be told though, I am back calling cabs because of all the bad news I've heard about Uber lately.

But still! The POINT STANDS1!
So would you be okay if they sold everything they currently sell but with a slightly higher fare, as an included tip? Because it sounds like it's not so much the end price (as long as it's still completive) but the annoyance of asking for more money after the set price and ease of payment?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #2498
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So would you be okay if they sold everything they currently sell but with a slightly higher fare, as an included tip?
I think a lot of us would like that anywhere we go. Pay people the wage that job deserves, and charge your customers accordingly.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #2499
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

One of the bigger reasons why tipping and Uber is so contentious is the fact that Uber itself used to discourage tipping. That position has softened over time, likely because it is paying some driver so little that having customers pay them more keeps people driving, which keeps them in business.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #2500
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I think a lot of us would like that anywhere we go. Pay people the wage that job deserves, and charge your customers accordingly.
Restaurant Example:
Burger is $12, you tip the server $2, this goes directly to the server. This costs you $14. You can also choose to tip more or less obviously.

To by increasing the price of the burger, to get $2 to the server, you gotta factor in the business tax as the increased burger price is now revenue, so now you may be paying $15.xx+ for the burger regardless of whether the server cared about you.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote