Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think based on his last calendar year, I may have Parsons as one of my top prospects on the Flames now. Ahead of Gillies.

That's literally based on almost 0 first hand viewing of either. But everything I've seen (World Jrs) and heard for Parsons has been spectacular.

Craig Button had Parsons as the #12 prospect as of last month.
I get to see Parsons play all the time for the Knights. When I watch goalie prospects I always hold some reserve on if they will pan out, that is not the case with Parsons. I have no doubt at all at minimum he will be a solid starter in the NHL but I really think he has all the tools to be a star starter. I consider Parsons our best prospect. Awesome signing!
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #42
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Watch the kid quite a bit and he's good. Cut the Trump crap though. I don't care about politics, but Trump support goes beyond politics.

Anyways, a really good patch of mud for the wall.
Don't follow him on twitter if you don't like it. He has the right to his own personal opinions.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #43
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is the "by all accounts" referring to yourself when you made the observation that a tat and John Deere hat made him a different cat?
Ya this is 2017 now. This is not in the neighbourhood of strange any more. It is actually pretty common place these days.

The stigma of redneck criminal on first glance is no longer needed. I bet he was evn wearing jeans which at on point in time was considered strange unless tou were part of a chain gang.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #44
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Don't follow him on twitter if you don't like it. He has the right to his own personal opinions.
You follow the news at all? Supporting Trump is a lot worst than just politics.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #45
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Largely separate thoughts, but an atypical look for a hockey player. Have heard a few interviews about how his tendencies are a little different.
Again its 2017 not 1950. If you dove into and assumed enough about anyone you may observe them as having different tendencies then your own giving you the feeling of them being different outside of what you personally would do.

I think the whole goalies are strange stigma follows they have always played more so out side of structured system. They have one goal and one goal only. Stop the puck at any costs. A foreward or d have systems in place for everything and plays fall threw when a player misses his target and positioning. Goalies do have a postion they are taught but after the first shot it is all free form. Just stop the little black disc from crossing the line. Abandon style and form just get the little disc.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #46
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who cares I hate Trump but as a non us citizen my opinion means acually very little.

Alot of people also follow trump becaise they like a comedian.

Also he is akid. What yhe #### does he really know about politics and the world???

When I was his age I hated thought I was Catholic, oil and gas was our saviour economically, woman should be punished for abortions and should keep their asses at home to serve me as master , smaller goverment and less taxes , loved guns, hated certian groups.

Flash foreward to just a little over my 20th birthday I literally believed every opposite scenario till this day.

The things he says now may not be true a year or even 5 from now.

What yhe #### does a 19 year old really know aboit the world unless they are a certified genuis.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 03-19-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #47
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Out of curiosity... by who?

I haven't seen anything within the last couple years that suggests anyone outside of the Flames organization is overly hopeful or impressed by his development since he was drafted.
He makes this list of top goalie prospects from 2016 (number 15; Gillies is 10) http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50...-season/ttp://

He was highly-regarded when he was drafted, though acknowledged as a very long-term project. I wouldn't say anything has changed that. He hasn't made huge strides but he's had a winning record since turning pro and by many accounts he's been solid but unspectacular for the Thunder. The kid is still a blue chip goalie prospect, even though he could be another few years from suiting up for the Flames. You can keep an eye on his progress (or lack there of) here: http://www.dobberprospects.com/mason-mcdonald/

My guess would be McDonald gets at least another year in the ECHL (if the Flames' new deal with an affiliate will allow them to assign him there). You would want him to post a save percentage above .9 one of these years, but stats aren't everything with a prospect like him. His work ethic has been applauded but the development coaches are trying to get him to work on his technique, as you would expect. He has a lot to work on but still has potential.

Does that leave Gillies and Rittich to duke it out for the backup spot for the Flames? Would the organisation have enough confidence in either of them to give them that opportunity? If not then I fear one or more of these goalie prospects may be cut loose. Who knows, maybe Parsons is the next Tom Barrasso and takes the bull by the horns for an NHL job. He seems hyped-up enough...

NHL:

Elliott (re-signed)
Gillies/Rittich

AHL:

Gillies/Rittich
Parsons

ECHL:

McDonald
Schneider/McCollum
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #48
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any other freedoms you want to take away from Parsons while you are at it?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #49
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a filter I can turn on where any post in FOI with the name "trump" in it gets immediately blocked?

If yes, can we then work towards an option where the poster who posts the blocked post is immediately tied to a make shift rocket and fired into the sun?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #50
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Is there a filter I can turn on where any post in FOI with the name "trump" in it gets immediately blocked?

If yes, can we then work towards an option where the poster who posts the blocked post is immediately tied to a make shift rocket and fired into the sun?
That would be a good way to trump the posters trumpeting Trump stuff.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #51
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Parsons has pretty much done all he can at the junior level and is ready to turn pro. I expect he and Gillies to push each other in Stockton next year.

The organization will have to make room for him somehow. Rittich could end up a victim of numbers, unfortunately. Maybe another NHL organization takes him in.

McDonald is a longshot, but still in play. McCollum is contractual filler for the expansion draft. What they do with Schneider is anyone's guess.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #52
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Parsons has pretty much done all he can at the junior level and is ready to turn pro. I expect he and Gillies to push each other in Stockton next year.

The organization will have to make room for him somehow. Rittich could end up a victim of numbers, unfortunately. Maybe another NHL organization takes him in.

McDonald is a longshot, but still in play. McCollum is contractual filler for the expansion draft. What they do with Schneider is anyone's guess.
I thought this initially as well, but he's had an outstanding season in the AHL. 2nd most shutouts, top 7 GAA and top 5 save %. If that doesn't earn a guy a contract and a shot with the organisation then what does?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #53
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

So, if it takes him a year or two to hit his stride, will he be known as the "Tyler Parsons Project"?

What? I'm a dad. I'm allowed to make dad jokes.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #54
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Hopefully he is playing for Vegas next season.
Assuming he is eligible that is.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #55
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Thought it was brutaly obvious, that way he has no chance of being good for the oilers.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #56
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Again its 2017 not 1950. If you dove into and assumed enough about anyone you may observe them as having different tendencies then your own giving you the feeling of them being different outside of what you personally would do.

I think the whole goalies are strange stigma follows they have always played more so out side of structured system. They have one goal and one goal only. Stop the puck at any costs. A foreward or d have systems in place for everything and plays fall threw when a player misses his target and positioning. Goalies do have a postion they are taught but after the first shot it is all free form. Just stop the little black disc from crossing the line. Abandon style and form just get the little disc.
I think you're reading a bit much into the comment.

We all know Kipper had some less than conventional tendencies that the team let slide. I'm not saying that's bad, just is.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #57
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Parsons gear for Stockton - looks killer.

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #58
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
He makes this list of top goalie prospects from 2016 (number 15; Gillies is 10) http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50...-season/ttp://

He was highly-regarded when he was drafted, though acknowledged as a very long-term project. I wouldn't say anything has changed that. He hasn't made huge strides but he's had a winning record since turning pro and by many accounts he's been solid but unspectacular for the Thunder. The kid is still a blue chip goalie prospect, even though he could be another few years from suiting up for the Flames. You can keep an eye on his progress (or lack there of) here: http://www.dobberprospects.com/mason-mcdonald/

My guess would be McDonald gets at least another year in the ECHL (if the Flames' new deal with an affiliate will allow them to assign him there). You would want him to post a save percentage above .9 one of these years, but stats aren't everything with a prospect like him. His work ethic has been applauded but the development coaches are trying to get him to work on his technique, as you would expect. He has a lot to work on but still has potential.

Does that leave Gillies and Rittich to duke it out for the backup spot for the Flames? Would the organisation have enough confidence in either of them to give them that opportunity? If not then I fear one or more of these goalie prospects may be cut loose. Who knows, maybe Parsons is the next Tom Barrasso and takes the bull by the horns for an NHL job. He seems hyped-up enough...

NHL:

Elliott (re-signed)
Gillies/Rittich

AHL:

Gillies/Rittich
Parsons

ECHL:

McDonald
Schneider/McCollum
I wouldn't mind seeing Gillies or Rittich get a shot at the backup position but only if we sign a true number one goalie we trust.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #59
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post

NHL:

Elliott (re-signed)
Gillies/Rittich

AHL:

Gillies/Rittich
Parsons

ECHL:

McDonald
Schneider/McCollum
Why re-sign Elliott? If I had to pick one of the goalies we had this year to re sign it would be Johnson. Then trade for Korpisalo or sign Fleury in the offseason as our starter.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #60
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_starter View Post
Why re-sign Elliott? If I had to pick one of the goalies we had this year to re sign it would be Johnson. Then trade for Korpisalo or sign Fleury in the offseason as our starter.
Fleury is already under contract for the next 2 years.