Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kelowna Vacation Home Rentals

We are planning a family/friends trip (30 people) to Kelowna (or Okanagan Area) during the September long weekend. I was wondering what are the best ways to go around getting decent sized houses or condos to accommodate the group.

Thanks for all your help!
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did you check out AirBnB or VRBO?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
We are planning a family/friends trip (30 people) to Kelowna (or Okanagan Area) during the September long weekend. I was wondering what are the best ways to go around getting decent sized houses or condos to accommodate the group.

Might be slim pickings now, the summer tends to book up early and most places require you to rent for a week at a minimum during the peak season. On top of that finding a place for 30 people will decrease your options.

I've used VRBO in the past and haven't had an issue.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Might be slim pickings now, the summer tends to book up early and most places require you to rent for a week at a minimum during the peak season. On top of that finding a place for 30 people will decrease your options.

I've used VRBO in the past and haven't had an issue.
There aren't very many options available using VRBO, especially since it is a big group. We are fine with 2/3 properties close to each other.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post

Huh. Me too. I've just been looking on vrbo and homeaway. They both have similar listings. You'll probably need at least three places for that many people. There are several cottages in this weird development called Las casas on the Westside road to Fintree 20 minutes from Kelowna. They run about $250/night for three bedrooms and are fairly new. Nice lake views. Pools. Some amenities. But it's a bit like an Edward Scissorhands set.

http://lacasacottageresort.com/

You could rent the guest house for $1060 a night. It sleeps 22 but I'm sure you could squeeze in 30. Looks really nice actually.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 03-15-2017 at 11:57 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for the same for Penticton this summer for a couple of families-Should have started earlier as I don't see as many options as last year.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could imagine the fun in collecting the financial obligations from that many people/families to make this deal work
Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

30 people?! Was this you guys?

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...rds-owners-say
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Hahaha we are a group of families that enjoy vacationing together.

We are open to any options relatively close to Kelowna (Vernon/Penticton)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Both Penticton and Vernon are 40-45 minutes from Kelowna. Traffic could be miserable, especially from Penticton since you have to cross the bridge to Kelowna.

The La Casa Cottage resort is actually on the other side of OK Lake from Kelowna and quite far.

Is camping out of the question? Bear Creek Provincial Park could be an option (may already be booked). It's also down Westside Road, but very close to both West Kelowna and Kelowna.

I'm biased, but I really prefer south of Kelowna (West Kelowna, Peach land, Summerland and Penticton). Kelowna is nuts in the summer, especially on long weekends.

Last edited by Codes; 03-16-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Check out the La Casa guest house, sleeps 22 and has a rooftop hot tub, from a thousand bucks a night!
http://lacasacottageresort.com/rentals/
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Might be a little late now especially since it is over the long weekend. I stayed in Sorrento, might be a little farther than your looking but it was a nice place. They had two big houses and a number of smaller cottages. The Maples I believe it was called. They book up a year in advance though but it might be worth a look.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

that la casa place looked really nice - I hope I can remember about them the enxt time we consider Kelowna for a vacation
Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I used to own at La Casa, it's a neat little area, and awesome for kids

- 2 pools, 2 hot tubs
- mini golf
- cantina that serves breakfast and lunch
- liquor store and general store
- fitness area, kayak rentals, etc etc
- sits right on crown land so you can access 4X4 trails right behind the resort

It has some neat little beaches, and a big marina if you have a boat. The cottages are all architecturally controlled so that's why they all look the same. You can ram 8 people into the bigger ones, but for the price I would just rent 4 or 5 cottages.

PM me if you have questions, I still know loads of people out there and can give you the ins and outs if you go.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Check the rentals section of http://www.castanet.net. It's a local website for news, message boards, classifieds, etc. It's the "go to" page for locals... it's more popular than Kijiji for classifieds too.
Jonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonrox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

there was a story on kelownanow today about 5 locations around kelowna that can sleep a number of people. apologies in advance for the use of 'epic' (just one of 'those' words that's been waaaay overused)

Quote:
5 epic rentals for the ultimate staycation

Don't have enough money to go on some big, epic vacation? Why not try an amazing staycation right here in your own backyard. All you need is a bunch of friends and around $500 each for a three night "live like a king" experience in Kelowna.
Below is a list of properties that we found in the Kelowna area that fit around the $500 per person for the three-night experience.
Please note*: prices, availability, time of year all come into play for this "live like a king" experience. Cleaning fees, taxes and other costs not included in our calculations. Our calculations are based on current rates divided by the number of people each location can sleep.

https://www.kelownanow.com/news/news...te_staycation/
Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

So too late for this year...but this place is amazing...

https://www.vrbo.com/3922388ha?utm_c...m_medium=email

500 meters of beach front and a huge house. It's a bit of a drive but so worth the lake access and peaceful setting. It's an actual hidden gem. Check for cancellations
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: