Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #21
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

You will need a receiver for the controller as well that plugs into the Pixhawk, I believe. New controllers often come with one of them. This, for example, would work with a Spektrum controller like the DX6: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6210

I picked up the Phantom 2 Vision plus yesterday. LOVE it so far. I will post some pics/video tomorrow.

Last edited by psicodude; 07-20-2014 at 09:32 PM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Good call on the Vision +.

I was at my folks place for dinner tonight, and let my dad take the controls. He has never operated anything like this in his life, and he managed to takeoff, fly it around and land it, all on his first try. I was quite impressed.

Your best resource is this forum, I have learned SOOOO much there:

http://www.phantompilots.com

Also, remember, always, whenever you have a panic situation, just switch off your controller, and it will come back. It saved my ass in Hawaii when I got disorientated about a km out over the Ocean. Just make absolute sure you are in GPS mode before you kill the controller.

I have tinkered with NAZA mode a couple times, but it is pretty much pointless to fly NAZA since you bought a craft with a stabilized gimbal. The whole complaint about GPS mode was the jerkiness on the 1st gen Vision, that didn't have a 3D gimbal. With the gimbal it settles that issue. I did have a compass error once on my Vision 1, and it went into manual mode at about 300 feet. It was a miracle I managed to land the thing, that was spooky.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #23
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

There was a big fire here in a shopping district a few weeks back, 2 guys showed up with copters that the fire department used to get an overview of the fire, see where flames were coming out and it was quite handy.

A lot of positive coverage on the quads from that fire in the press, including some cool videos.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #24
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loving my new toy! This is my first video created using the Vision+. Please excuse the poor editing and background music choice!

The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #25
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
You will need a receiver for the controller as well that plugs into the Pixhawk, I believe. New controllers often come with one of them. This, for example, would work with a Spektrum controller like the DX6: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6210
Can that same receiver be used to receive commands from a ground station or do you need a separate one for that?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Can that same receiver be used to receive commands from a ground station or do you need a separate one for that?
I'm not entirely sure. It's my understanding that your ground station would be talking to the GPS unit via wifi or bluetooth directly, but maybe let Pylon answer this one.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #27
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can certainly use Bluetooth but I think most still use regular radio. You can send commands to the aircraft to change the flight plan while it's in flight.

Haven't had much luck finding a used RC yet but I just came across Impact Hobbies in Ogden and they appear to have quite a few models in stock, including that DX6i. Think it was around $140, may go grab that while the grabbing is good.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #28
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Running into an issue I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

Have this quad basically finished. The problem I'm having is the radio calibration in Mission Planner. The calibration for the compass and accelerometer works perfectly but not so much for the radio. When I try to run the calibration, none of the inputs I put into the control sticks show up on the screen. It's like it's dead.

I'm using a DX6i transmitter and the AR600 receiver it came with. Binding process between those two worked just fine. Just doesn't seem to be communicating with Mission Planner in the Pixhawk auto pilot.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #29
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

N/M, think I have it sorted out. Steep learning curve building these things yourself!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooooooo any chance anyone here has a 11 x 4.7 SFP prop from APC? Had my first bad crash and naturally I broke one of the two props I can't easily replace. Tons of SF props from APC but absolutely no SFP
Old 10-02-2014, 04:27 AM   #31
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

DJI quadcopters sent a guy to Iceland to film the Hólshraun eruption. First video is the montage of the footage, but highly recommend you watch also the 2nd video, behind the scenes as it is excellent.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #32
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, not much activity in this thread. Anyone still messing around with these things?

I've finished building my 2nd quad last fall. Spent last half of summer and all of fall learning how to fly them and use ground stations.

This year I bought a camera gyro stabilized camera gimbal. Just need to find a decent priced GoPro and I'll be doing my own video capturing with the hopes of moving on to MPV shortly.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:36 AM   #33
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Phantom 2 or 3, haven't decided which. From what I've gathered as Pylon pointed out, it seems about the most turn key out of the box, and the most bang for your buck. Anyone recommend a dealer of these with best prices, or are they generally the same price give or take anywhere?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #34
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

These guys (http://www.multirotorheli.ca/) claim to tbe the only authorized dealer in Calgary and seem to have decent prices. It's fairly standard anywhere you go though. I picked up mine at PM Hobbycraft, but it appears they are having some financial issues and are closing the store in the south.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #35
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
but it appears they are having some financial issues and are closing the store in the south.
That's kinda disappointing. They never seemed to have much stock though and their inventory was all over the place. I'm not surprised.

Buzzard, 3Drobotics just launched a new product called Solo. Been getting pretty good reviews so far.

https://store.3drobotics.com/t/solo

Also, hobbyking.com may also have good prices on the Phantoms. They have also opened a new west US warehouse to speed up shipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #36
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, sucks about PMHobby. A few guys I know in town say that PMHobby never went through the effort to become an authorized reseller and therefore was way down the list when it came to getting stock. Probably explains a lot.

I would spend the extra money on the Phantom 3, by the way. The camera is miles better than the 2 and the ability to fly indoors in pretty cool.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #37
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
These guys (http://www.multirotorheli.ca/) claim to tbe the only authorized dealer in Calgary and seem to have decent prices. It's fairly standard anywhere you go though. I picked up mine at PM Hobbycraft, but it appears they are having some financial issues and are closing the store in the south.
Avoid multirotorheli, his service is terrible, and he is operating out of his basement. Takes him weeks to answer an email, if at all. I think he is just operating as a part time business.

Vistek is selling DJI gear, and I have never had an issue with anything they have ever sold me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #38
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for that. I have never actually purchased anything from them, but have heard they were always cheaper.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #39
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone seen any drone racing in Alberta yet?

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #40
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for that. I have never actually purchased anything from them, but have heard they were always cheaper.
And if they are not, they will always match Canadian vendors. I got a dud Canon 100-400 L lens from them once, had a cracked element somewhere inside it, but I hadn't taken the lens out of the box for 2 weeks after I got it. Buddy quickly inspected it for drop damage, and handed me another one no questions asked. Considering it is a $1800+/- lens, it made me a customer for life with those guys. If the price is close, and they are a bit higher on something, I don't even bother haggling. The service there is worth it.

Of all their locations, the downtown one is definitely the best. They have some crazy cool stuff in there.

Tags
don't drone me bro! , nerdgasm , remote control