Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #2661
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Worst movie in this Marvel universe, which I absolutely believe it is.
Maybe so, but thats hardly an indictment.

"Out of this entire pile of diamonds that is the crappiest diamond!"

A bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #2662
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

No I'm sorry that's just not allowed. I refuse to believe that you believe that. Iron Man 3 wasn't just not very good, it was Marvel's steaming pile of #### that should have never happened. I think that Feige must have been drunk or something when he read that script. In a less secure franchise, it would have ruined the entire universe, it was that bad.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #2663
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No I'm sorry that's just not allowed. I refuse to believe that you believe that. Iron Man 3 wasn't just not very good, it was Marvel's steaming pile of #### that should have never happened. I think that Feige must have been drunk or something when he read that script. In a less secure franchise, it would have ruined the entire universe, it was that bad.
Like I said in my rant a few days ago, the thing Marvel has done beautifully is a built a universe that people can believe in, with characters they love. So even if an Iron Man movie kind of sucks, there's still Iron Man and that's pretty awesome. Because we love RDJ as Tony.

I also think that what they've done is create a setting where they can replace their heroes, not in actor but in character. You don't replace RDJ as Tony. You kill Tony, and put someone else in the suit. You kill Captain America and give someone else the shield, etc...

I don't know if they can drag it out that long, but I would certainly find that more interesting than never-ending escapades of the immortal Avengers.

Last edited by Coach; 11-29-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #2664
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I actually found Iron Man 3 to be better than Iron Man 2. Iron Man 1 is one of the best superhero movies of all time though. I always found it strange that they couldn't create a good follow up.

The problem seems to be that Iron Man 1 was largely about Tony Stark and didn't entirely revolve around the villain. It had Stane/Iron Monger, but he was in the background for much of the film. As soon as they introduced a major villain things seem to fall apart. Whiplash has to be one of the worst movie portrayals of a comic book villain of all time.

Mickey Rourke acting weird was great, but as soon as he put on those whips, I was just like...why doesn't someone just shoot him? You know what would be even better than having a bunch electrified whips? A regular gun.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #2665
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
1:27

Yeah who is that guy?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #2666
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Iron Man 2/3 and Ultron are all at a pretty similar level of mediocrity. I'm probably more critical of Ultron because it was supposed to be a full-blown Avengers movie. Captain 3 deserved that title.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #2667
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I actually found Iron Man 3 to be better than Iron Man 2. Iron Man 1 is one of the best superhero movies of all time though. I always found it strange that they couldn't create a good follow up.

The problem seems to be that Iron Man 1 was largely about Tony Stark and didn't entirely revolve around the villain. It had Stane/Iron Monger, but he was in the background for much of the film. As soon as they introduced a major villain things seem to fall apart. Whiplash has to be one of the worst movie portrayals of a comic book villain of all time.

Mickey Rourke acting weird was great, but as soon as he put on those whips, I was just like...why doesn't someone just shoot him? You know what would be even better than having a bunch electrified whips? A regular gun.
Agreed, but the piece that irked me the most was when Whiplash finally came out with his suit and actually looked kind of badass. He lands on the battlefield, Ironman and War Machine do the gimmick move they found out about in the awkward dance battle, and he dead. Such a let down that the final battle was like 90 seconds long.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #2668
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah who is that guy?
Steve Rogers
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #2669
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive watched this trailer at least 15 times today
Old 11-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #2670
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I remember feeling this pumped after the first Avengers trailer, then being as giddy as a kid watching it in theaters, then seeing everyone go bananas over it and reach James Cameron levels of money. Now that looks adorably small compared to this movie, crazy to think that one company has this AND the Star Wars franchises, it's not even fair
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #2671
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

5-6 years ago, I would be so jacked up to see this new Avengers movie. Now, I could care less if I see it in theaters or not or at all.

I used to see EVERYTHING in the theatres on opening weekend. Lineups didn't bother me(reserved seating has changed that game, I never go without my seat booked now), I was always there. But now, I would be surprised if I got out to this one.

A lot has to do with life changing(wife/kid, different priorities), but more so, I just don't care about comic book movies or shows anymore. There's just way too many and it all looks the same to me. Not to mention with all the CGI, they just look like cartoons to me.

I know there's plenty of good ones being made and they're finding ways to keep it fresh, but I'm just talking about my level of interest. Virtually none at this point.

Think I've been to 1 movies in theatres in 2017(IT). I used to go to 3-4 a month easily.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #2672
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
5-6 years ago, I would be so jacked up to see this new Avengers movie. Now, I could care less if I see it in theaters or not or at all.

I used to see EVERYTHING in the theatres on opening weekend. Lineups didn't bother me(reserved seating has changed that game, I never go without my seat booked now), I was always there. But now, I would be surprised if I got out to this one.

A lot has to do with life changing(wife/kid, different priorities), but more so, I just don't care about comic book movies or shows anymore. There's just way too many and it all looks the same to me. Not to mention with all the CGI, they just look like cartoons to me.

I know there's plenty of good ones being made and they're finding ways to keep it fresh, but I'm just talking about my level of interest. Virtually none at this point.

Think I've been to 1 movies in theatres in 2017(IT). I used to go to 3-4 a month easily.
A lot of this extends to the current movie making process. I'd agree that movies have become more formulaic, with very few movies offering anything different. This extends not only to the story but also to the way they look.

One of the biggest issues for me is that orange and teal hue that every movie now seems to have. The weird color pattern with muted greens and blues, instantly makes me lose interest.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #2673
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved the end of the trailer with the Guardians

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #2674
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Loved the end of the trailer with the Guardians
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #2675
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man, that scene where Peter Parker's spider-sense is tingling: I love little details like that!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #2676
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I love the look of self satisfaction on Chris Pratt's face in that gif.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #2677
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I used to go to movies a lot too. Not 3-4 a month but I went a lot. I too stopped going, mostly due to wife, kids and other responsibilities.

I don't think I would have bothered with any of the Avengers movies, but my two boys are old enough to appreciate and love the Avengers, so I took them, and I enjoyed the movies.

It's starting to turn around now. I stopped going to movies because of kids and now I'm going to movies again because of kids.

I can't wait for this movie.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #2678
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly, I basically reserve my theatre going experiences to these types of films. I want to support different types of filmmaking, but the cost is so insane to go to a movie, it just has to be something visually spectacular to be worth seeing it there. Otherwise, might as well wait for iTunes or Netflix (or streams). Tragically, I know this mindset inevitably leads to more larger spectacle things.

I'm not complaining though. Honestly, Marvel has had the patience and trust in their own stories that they deserve all of what's happening. The fact that we can look at a trailer like that and have emotional reactions to all of the characters outside of "who's that?" Or "that something something guy looks cool. Where did this invasion come from, why and why is that dude named after a 70's rock band?" We have reactions like "Cap's back and badass! Vision and Wanda getting close. Wondering if there will be a love triangle between Banner, Widow and Barnes. Ah sweet that guy they've been teasing for a decade showed up. I know who he is because they've spent time on his development. Oh those gems, they mean something and I know that if he fills that glove with them ####'s gonna go down."

I really hope (expect) a few Avengers bite the dust in the next two films. If at least two major players don't go down I'll be disappointed in Marvel's lack of guts.

Last edited by Coach; 11-30-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #2679
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Sadly, I basically reserve my theatre going experiences to these types of films. I want to support different types of filmmaking, but the cost is so insane to go to a movie, it just has to be something visually spectacular to be worth seeing it there. Otherwise, might as well wait for iTunes or Netflix (or streams). Tragically, I know this mindset inevitably leads to more larger spectacle things.

I'm not complaining though. Honestly, Marvel has had the patience and trust in their own stories that they deserve all of what's happening. The fact that we can look at a trailer like that and have emotional reactions to all of the characters outside of "who's that?" Or "that something something guy looks cool. Where did this invasion come from, why and why is that dude named after a 70's rock band?" We have reactions like "Cap's back and badass! Vision and Wanda getting close. Wondering if there will be a love triangle between Banner, Widow and Barnes. Ah sweet that guy they've been teasing for a decade showed up. I know who he is because they've spent time on his development. Oh those gems, they mean something and I know that if he fills that glove with them ####'s gonna go down."

I really hope (expect) a few Avengers bite the dust in the next two films. If at least two major players don't go down I'll be disappointed in Marvel's lack of guts.
I expect that the Avengers as we know it will be pretty much toast.

I still think the key is that Thanos can't complete the Infinity Gauntlet, because if he did, he'd basically be an unbeatable god who could not only freeze time but go back in time to fix his mistakes.

I mean lets look at what the Stones are supposed to do

Tesseract = I basically the Space Stone, allows the user to exist in any locations, move objects through realities and teleport the owner anywhere

Mind Stone - The one in visions head, gives the user the ability to control minds and project energy, the Mind Stone enhances intelligence gives immense knowledge and can create life

Reality Stone (Aether) - can turn anything to dark matter and suck the life out of mortals.

Power Stone (Purple from Guardians) - capable of destroying entire civilizations just by touch

Time Stone (Doctor Strange) - allows user to see into the past and future, slow down or speed up or reverse time. grants user the total control over the past present and future.

Soul Stone (yet to be seen) - allows the user to control and alter living and dead souls, grants user control over all life in the universe.

So I expect the next two movies is the race for the Soul Stone, if Thanos gets it he's unbeatable.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #2680
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I used to see EVERYTHING in the theatres on opening weekend. Lineups didn't bother me(reserved seating has changed that game, I never go without my seat booked now), I was always there. ...
I remember when you used to do movie reviews on 1040. I used to enjoy those. They were well done.