Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #2061
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caesars Willow Park is the best steak.
Alloy is very good for Calgary.
Rouge is very overpriced and very overrated.
Workshop was fantastic, but is gone.
Himalayan is great.
I would check out Safari and have the ribs and mogo for something different.
In general, Calgary restaurants suck relative to what is actually good (say, Las Vegas, and I am not just talking the Strip). Best bet in Calgary is typically ethnic. Workshop is sadly missed. Alloy is ok. And steak here should be great, given where we are, but stay away from the new, pretentious stuff - they are just trying to rip you off. Go old school - Caesar's, Hy's, can't speak to Longview...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #2062
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't think it is fair to compare Calgary to Las Vegas.

I think Calgary punches above its weight class for restaurants for a city this size, due to the relative wealth here. Banff and Canmore too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #2063
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Himalayan is great.
In general, Calgary restaurants suck relative to what is actually good (say, Las Vegas, and I am not just talking the Strip). Best bet in Calgary is typically ethnic. Workshop is sadly missed. Alloy is ok. And steak here should be great, given where we are, but stay away from the new, pretentious stuff - they are just trying to rip you off. Go old school - Caesar's, Hy's, can't speak to Longview...
Was Workshop connected to the Workshop restaurant in Mulletville?

I miss Cilantro.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #2064
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

things always taste better in Vegas (or at any out of town destination for that matter) because your brain is flooded with vacation dopamine. I'm almost 100% certain that the un-replicable best meal you ever had in Italy/Japan/NYC/wherever would still taste really good, though not orgasmically mind blowing if you ate that exact same plate at home.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #2065
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Himalayan is great.
I wholeheartedly disagree.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #2066
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

When I think food cities I don't think Vegas, probably because I've never been there. I know they have places like Nobu and Momofuku but does it compare to L.A. or New York or Chicago?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:50 PM   #2067
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Surprisingly, I've had a bunch of decent food at the restaurant inside Nordstroms. Their menu is seasonal, lots of bistro type faire.
Hang on, I'm like Cecil - not a lot of dining out. But I've read the term "pub fare/high end fare" on CP for years relating to food, now it's actually 'faire'?

Last edited by jayswin; 10-29-2021 at 11:22 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #2068
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
When I think food cities I don't think Vegas, probably because I've never been there. I know they have places like Nobu and Momofuku but does it compare to L.A. or New York or Chicago?
Vegas has good restaurants based on the tourist business but like any main tourist hub they are over priced. But I have had some good food there and would agree with vlad some great stuff off strip.

I also agree that Calgary’s steak reputation is over played

London and Tokyo are tops for me right now based on the quantity and quality of restaurants. Mexico City has unreal food too. Big cities with clientele that actually live there and come back

I’m actually heading down to San Francisco next week and have a couple restaurants lined up. It’s not a great thing to rely on but the Bay Area itself has 40 restaurants with Michelin stars. And some of them aren’t hard to get into. Obviously the pandemic but I booked two a week out. They aren’t expensive by any means - 40 dollar entrees etc.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:33 PM   #2069
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Vegas has good restaurants based on the tourist business but like any main tourist hub they are over priced. But I have had some good food there and would agree with vlad some great stuff off strip.

I also agree that Calgary’s steak reputation is over played

London and Tokyo are tops for me right now based on the quantity and quality of restaurants. Mexico City has unreal food too. Big cities with clientele that actually live there and come back

I’m actually heading down to San Francisco next week and have a couple restaurants lined up. It’s not a great thing to rely on but the Bay Area itself has 40 restaurants with Michelin stars. And some of them aren’t hard to get into. Obviously the pandemic but I booked two a week out. They aren’t expensive by any means - 40 dollar entrees etc.
I was in San Francisco a few years back, and I thought the food was excellent. We hit some random places while we were out and about, and every meal was great and as you say, reasonably priced.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #2070
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Chicago, San Francisco and New York are the best for me. Then come Atlanta, New Orleans, and Austin.

Calgary for size of city is great place to eat. Bot as good ad pre pandemic but still really good overall versus size.

Las Vagas, Miami, and without a doubt Vancouver are the most over rated. By a fair margin.

Why? All 3 cities are image focused. There is little to no soul in the culinary culture as being a fax copy of something good and overpriced are what the locals care more for.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #2071
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Yes it is in the sense it's the same name, menu etc. Different ownership and there has been some partner changes etc.

I can't speak to the quality of the food at the Calgary location as I haven't eaten there in a long time.

The Okotoks location though is spot on and the owner, a friend, is very active on a daily basis so that helps with quality control and operations etc. I haven't visited much recently but with the new ring road, it's only 30 minutes for me.

The cheese dish you are referring to is called Saganaki. The name of the actual cheese its self is called Kefalotiri and is a classic Greek table cheese. Very versatile cheese that can be used as a table cheese, for grating over pasta, soups or salads like a parm, for melting over sandwiches etc.

Shameless business plug, come visit my family at Kalamata Grocery in Calgary for it and we will look after you. Tell them the nephew sent ya from the hockey site.

They moved the location to Deer Run and even though it went from a 5 minute trip to a 20 minute trip I still do it. Great food and the nicest staff.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #2072
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I think the OG owner recently moved back from Vancouver. He has The Greek Place at 75th and MacLeod. We enjoyed it!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #2073
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Hang on, I'm like Cecil - not a lot of dining out. But I've read the term "pub fare/high end fare" on CP for years relating to food, now it's actually 'faire'?
Interesting, l had long assumed it came from the French for making making food, IE: "faire du pain" or "faire un gateau" (make bread, bake a cake) but Google says that fare in terms of food actually comes from Middle English/Germanic Fahren and is used for talking about paying money for a conveyance (ie: modern Taxi Fare) or possibly buying food? Don't fully understand the etymology here.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-01-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #2074
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I'll throw in a recommendation for Major Tom, you can go crazy on the Wagyu but they have a pretty decent variety on their menu. Best meal I've had in the past couple of years. Plus the room/views are spectacular.
Looks good:

https://www.majortombar.ca/food

POTATO DOUGHNUTS
Fresh Cheese, Aged Balsamic, Black Pepper
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #2075
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Where can one find a decent Cheesesteak in Calgary?

Old 11-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #2076
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to know the answer to that question.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #2077
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Himalayan is great.
I'd personally give the edge to Hy's 100 day dry aged steak over Caesers, but yeah, your point stands. The Calgary steak scene outside of the OG's is often lazy and gimmicky. Plus the whole "Alberta Beef is numba 1" is just tiresome propaganda to prop up local business.

Spot on about Rouge. They've lost their way over the last decade. Walk a few blocks west to the Deane house for superior "elevated farm to table" cuisine and service.

Lots of love to Eight and Shokunin too, but Nupo is boring.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #2078
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:

I have very little experience with the real thing. Closest I got was at a Yankee's game once. But the wife and I do like the cheesesteak at Bull & Finch, with gravy and fries or chips. Nowhere near the real thing, but the beef isn't dry, good cheese and soft bun.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #2079
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I've been there. You better know what you want because its just like ordering from the soup nazi. Great Cheesesteak though!
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #2080
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I've been there. You better know what you want because its just like ordering from the soup nazi. Great Cheesesteak though!
What's the correct mantra to utter when you get to the counter?

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business