Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #1181
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And that's why I had Baker ahead of Darnold. Great talent but an absolute turnover machine.
I thought I was the only poster here pumping the tires of Mayfield before the draft. His high completion percentage in college to me was what set him apart from the rest. You could see last night that his balls were on target compared to Taylor who was erratic and undecisive. It looked to me like he was running the regular offense while it's pretty obvious the Jets have scaled back the play book for Darnold.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #1182
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

It was nice having Joe Thomas on the NFL panel. The #browns hashtag was awesome last night - Cleveland was electrified. One fan even caught a possum in the stadium.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #1183
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is way too early to tell what Mayfield will develop into but I see him as almost being a Rodgers calibre QB. He is strong and accurate and can stand in the pocket and wait for a play to develop.

I shouldn't be happy for Cleveland as a Steelers fan but Mayfield is impressive.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #1184
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

One Browns win and we're comparing Mayfield to Rodgers. Imagine how we'll be waxing poetically about him if he leads them to 5 whole wins this season. He played well, but the Jets spent the week preparing for Taylor who is a totally different QB. And as we know, RGIII played well for a while too. The beginning means nothing, it's how you play once they have the film on you.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #1185
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Browns' Jackson: I have to watch the tape before naming Week 4 starter.

Come on, man. Just remember how Tyrod looked like the QB in Necessary Roughness running away telling the ref to blow the whistle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Would that be finally enough to fire him, starting Taylor next week?
Is it a home game, you gotta think the fans would storm the field if Mayfield doesnt start.
that's just media talk, coaches not revealing too much in the press conference.
Also, the next game isn't til 11 days, why name Mayfield the starter and have the media circus on him for a looooong week.

Last edited by GirlySports; 09-21-2018 at 08:19 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #1186
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I thought I was the only poster here pumping the tires of Mayfield before the draft. His high completion percentage in college to me was what set him apart from the rest. You could see last night that his balls were on target compared to Taylor who was erratic and undecisive. It looked to me like he was running the regular offense while it's pretty obvious the Jets have scaled back the play book for Darnold.
Even going beyond the high-completion percentage, which can often but not always predict success at the next level, the advanced really showed a stark contrast between Baker and the other QBs.

I'm also just not all that high on Darnold in general. It's pretty rare that you see a guy with turnover problems he had in college suddenly correct that in the NFL. I counted about 3-4 dropped picks by the Browns in the second half besides the two he threw. Didn't see the first half. I think he'll be a serviceable starter in the league, but not the franchise player you'd expect from his draft position.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #1187
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know...starting Tyrod might be the best long term decision. I feel like a QB learns a lot and can be better served by sitting a year...Brees, Brady, Rodgers all sat for at least one season.

Look at Mahomes too - guy looks amazing this year and I'm not sure he does this if he was thrown to the wolves last year.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #1188
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't know...starting Tyrod might be the best long term decision. I feel like a QB learns a lot and can be better served by sitting a year...Brees, Brady, Rodgers all sat for at least one season.

Look at Mahomes too - guy looks amazing this year and I'm not sure he does this if he was thrown to the wolves last year.
There are just as many guys on the other side of that equation. Wentz, Goff, Luck, Wilson, Watson, etc., all played through their rookie seasons. The only time you make a guy sit is if you have an established started in front of you who gives you a better chance to win and the QB has mechanical or adjustment issues to the NFL. Baker was always ready to be a day 1 starter.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #1189
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I think the time is now for the Browns to start trying to win games and get the stench of losing out of the organization. You can't keep preaching next year every year. Taylor just hasn't looked comfortable in that offense and until that changes I don't know how you can start him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #1190
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Baker came out on the field to talk to the NFL panel after the game - I was amazed at his maturity and leadership. He wanted to talk about Hyde having a baby and a birthday. He threw t-shirts to the fans. He emphasized the team, and getting better. He said nice things about Tyrod. Totally in command.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #1191
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to take anything away from the Browns performance, but a big part of their win was that Sam Darnold folded like a cheap tent.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 09-21-2018 at 01:47 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #1192
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I could only listen to it on radio, but Toni Bosseli was stating how the whole Browns team looked more energized when Mayfield came into the game. He also noted that he threw the ball really well, tight spiral, on target, and displayed good arm strength.

Sitting a guy for a year works if you have a good starter in place who knows the playbook and the system. Brett Farve, Drew Bledsoe, Drew Brees in San Diego and Alex Smith were all that type of player so it made sense to sit guys like Rivers, Mahomes and Rogers since they were clearly drafted as succession planning (in the case of the Chargers...stupidly). Brady was like the 199th pick, so he wasn't exactly expected to start from day one.

In the Browns case Mayfield doesn't have an entrenched starter in front of him. In that case if he is clearly the better player, than you have to play him. They should have enough pieces around him now where he doesn't have to go out and win it all by himself. I don't think he's Andrew Luck good, but if he can be Alex Smith like, the Browns with a better coach will eventually win some games. They have a decent defence and some other pieces in place now.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 09-22-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #1193
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Not to take anything away from the Browns performance, but a big part of their win was that Sam Darnold folded like a cheap tent.
To be fair he was running for his life on almost every drop back he took as well.

The Browns dominated the line of scrimmage, especially on defense, which is why they won the game.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #1194
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, maybe, but I've been pretty unimpressed with Darnold so far.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #1195
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well I think ideally they should have sat him this year. The tools are all there, but he still seems quite raw at this point. Enunwa is his safety blanket, but I don't feel he has any chemistry with Kearse and Anderson so far. Calling all those rollouts also doesn't help, I don't see any rhythm and comfort in the pocket at all.

They have McCown (who was good last year) and also had Bridgewater in camp, I don't really get the rush to start him.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #1196
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Patriots and Lions were deep into trade discussions last offseason that peaked during the week of the draft, when the teams nearly completed a blockbuster trade involving Gronkowski, league sources tell ESPN.

When Gronkowski discovered he could be traded to Detroit that week, he threatened to retire rather than go to the Lions, according to sources. Gronkowski even declined to return the Lions' calls, despite the fact that former Patriots executive Bob Quinn and coach Matt Patricia were leading the Detroit organization.

It was at that point that Gronkowski and Patriots officials met, with the two sides discussing a plan for the Pro Bowl tight end to continue playing -- but only in New England. The Patriots then called off any proposed trade with the Lions, leaving Detroit disappointed.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...end-intervened
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #1197
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Patriots always move on from guys around this age for a huge haul and leave the other team remorseful years later. Richard Seymor, Deion Branch, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins. Only Branch went to a playoff team, and he really wasn't a key piece for those teams.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #1198
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, a lot of games available today without sunday ticket or dazn. Not a lot of incentive to get one of those unless you are a fan of a lower profile team that doesnt get a lot of national coverage. Because of CTV Nfld, Im certain I get every Pats game for example- the games that arent national (not many) are always on the Nfld ctv. Seems to be about the same for cowboys, packers.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #1199
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to be a racist or anything, but that dive by Josh Allen was the smoothest diving TD I've ever seen from a white QB.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #1200
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess the Bills are gonna cover the +16.5 today.