Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #41
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

the first concert i ever went to was in ontario with my folks when i was a kid - maybe the late 70's but more likely in the early 80's - to see nana mouskouri. ha... i still remember little bits of even though it was so long ago!

the first 'real' concert i went to was def leppard (euphoria tour). it was their first time in kelowna and one of their tour buses got broken into and some stuff was stolen. they were not in a good mood for the concert and it showed. they just wanted to leave.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #42
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well my parents took me to see the Irish Rovers as a kid. My first "rock" concert though was Corey Hart at the Dome in ~1985, I wasn't really familiar with his music but some friends were fans.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #43
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was about 7. They were having a Coke vs Pepsi taste testing challenge at Spruce Meadows, and I correctly guessed and won two tickets to see Prozzäk at Cowboys

My dad took me
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #44
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iron Maiden and The Scorpions (don't recall for sure who headlined but I think it was Iron Maiden) with Girlschool opening for them. Max Bell arena and it must have been 1981 or so, I was 14.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #45
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a bunch of Jesus concerts at church/youth group when I was younger, but I don't really count those.

Therefore my first live music event was DJ Paul Oakenfold at Tantra nightclub in 2004. Was the very first music event I ever went to. He was the first DJ that got me into dance music (his Gatecrasher '99 set was legendary and got me hooked). One day we went to some bong store on 17th ave to buy some gear and saw the event flyer on the checkout desk. Me and my buddies figured sure, why not? Never been to a DJ show but love his music. Never been to a club either, so might as well see what it's all about.

At the time I had just started dating this super hot Colombian girl. Figured I would invite her along too so she could see how "cool" me and my friends were going to a nightclub. The night was great. Awesome music. Great light show. Beautiful girl to dance with. Couldn't have been better for my first time dancing all night.

One of my friends was the hostess in the VIP room at the time and said she saw huge mountains of coke on the tables Oakenfold and his entourage were snorting before he went on. She had to clean the table after and said it was like wiping a bunch of flour you spill on the counter. Oakenfold was hammered/coked out of his brain but still managed to mix the vinyl pretty well.

After his set was done, the closing DJ came on and that's when my night went downhill. My gf ended up dumping my ass in the middle of the dancefloor unexpectedly before it was finished (and after I had given her taxi money home!). Said her parents hated me and the car I drove (an old Mazda 323) and didn't think I was good enough for her. Looking back at it, she probably wasn't that into me anyways and I also should have demanded the taxi money back. But at the time my young brain didn't want to process fully it since I had come from such a great high of being at the show, to now the ultimate low. I was also drunk and didn't think it was real.

It got real when I got in the taxi and as my friends were all saying how awesome the night was, I piped up and said ''guys, xxxxx broke up with me ". Suddenly everyone felt bad for me and even the taxi driver did his best Darth Vader impression and screamed out Noooooo!!!!, which suddenly made it hilarious.

Finally hit me the next day of getting my ass dumped. But for some reason I remember the music being so good and amazing that I remember that night fondly and one of the best parties I've been to, instead of depressing.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-06-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #46
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kiss at the Kinsman Fieldhouse in 85. They sucked, the sound was brutal.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #47
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Edgefest at Race city

I went in not knowing what it was all about. I walked out covered in mud and had my music in my teen years defined from that festival

Also, Big Shiny tunes 2 is the greatest compilation album ever
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #48
terryclancy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Tommy James and the Shondells backed by the Beach Boys at the PNE Agrodome or Gardens in Vancouver.

JFC, I’m old.
terryclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #49
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Raffi at the Yates in Lethbridge sometime in the early 80s when I was a little kid. I'm pretty sure half that audience was singing along with "Baby Beluga".

First "real" concert was Barenaked Ladies, also at the Yates. Would have been in 1993. The Waltons opened for them and almost stole the show. We were in row 8 and in that venue it was like being on stage it felt so close. My buddy got hit in the head with a box of Kraft Dinner that someone threw at the stage during "If I had $1,000,000."
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #50
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blink 182 and others as part of Edgefest in 2001, I would have been 13 at the time.

Believe these were the bands:

Tuesday, August 21, 2001
Good Charlotte
Jimmy Eat World
New Found Glory
Project Wyze
Sum 41
blink‐182
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #51
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I saw a bunch of Jesus concerts at church/youth group when I was younger, but I don't really count those.
Is he still touring?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #52
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Probably it was Rush at the Corral in 1982. Signals tour.
My first concert too. The crush of thousands of jean-jacket clad headbangers in the Corral foyer chanting “open the ####ing doors... open the ####ing doors.” The mad dash of rush seating. My first taste of weed. The technical virtuosity of Rush in their prime. Memorable night.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kiss in Lethbridge 1985 on their Animalize tour.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #54
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Same tour, hope the sound was better for yours.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #55
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Is he still touring?

Lots of people still under the impression that he'll be coming back on stage for that encore any day now.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Same tour, hope the sound was better for yours.
TBH I can’t recall as being my first I didn’t have a measuring stick and after that I was going to concerts pretty regularly. It didn’t stand out that’s for sure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #57
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rush when Fly By Night came out, small venue in Windsor, first time my parents let me go out with a friend by ourselves.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #58
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rush: A Farewell to Kings tour. I think Max Webster opened up for them.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #59
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

April Wine for their "Farewell Tour" in 1984...front row at the Centennial Auditorium. Very wacky vibe, because Corey Hart opened...so a good couple hundred guys in denim stayed out in the lobby and drank, and the same number of teenaged girls left after Hart was done.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:55 PM   #60
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

That was my *second* concert! First one was Bryan Adams with Luba opening, same venue about two months earlier.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote