Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Wireless Home Phone

I've really wanted to ditch our landline for quite a number of years now, but we've kept it active because of our security system. So I figured it I have to keep the line active, I should at least try to pay a lot less for it. I saw that a whole bunch of wireless companies like Telus, Rogers, Virgin, and others offer wireless home phone. They all seem to use some variant of this box

paired with a SIM card to provide home phone service through their cell network.

We have Telus internet, so it seems like home phone through this would only cost $10 a month, which is a lot cheaper than we're paying now. The problem is that the Telus website specifically states that this service does not work with security systems.

To me that sounds like something they say just so they don't have to walk people through wiring the thing up to a security system, but I don't see why I couldn't just cut the end off a phone cable or use a piece of cat5e and an RJ11 connector and wire this box directly into my phone distribution block.

Does anyone know if there are additional technical limitations that would prevent me from doing that, or does anyone have experience using this kind of setup with a security system?
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't think you need a home phone for a security system anymore. I have a monitored system with one of the big companies, and my security panel has a SIM card inside it, so it acts as its own phone line.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I don't think you need a home phone for a security system anymore. I have a monitored system with one of the big companies, and my security panel has a SIM card inside it, so it acts as its own phone line.
I inquired about that once a year or so ago. The monthly cost was going to be roughly equal to what I was already paying. Do you know how much it might cost these days?
Old 06-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering if you use Shaw for TV. They basically gave me my landline for $5/month, so you could check if you want a cheep one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have Telus for TV, but I kind of want to drop the TV part as well as the home phone part if we can swing it with our security setup. I might have to give them another call.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My monitored system with the SIM card costs me $50/month. My contract is over and I am shopping my business to a few other companies in town.

When I did the math 3 years ago when the system was installed, this was still cheaper than having a home phone just for the alarm.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or you can go with an internet based solution like Think Protection. You buy the package of sensors up front then it's $19/month for monitoring with no contract. I'm sure there are other companies that offer similar services with the hardware included in a higher monthly cost if you prefer. In theory someone could cut your internet connection to defeat the alarm but they can just as easily cut a phone line, probably easier. A cell based solution solves that but costs more.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Or you can go with an internet based solution like Think Protection. You buy the package of sensors up front then it's $19/month for monitoring with no contract. I'm sure there are other companies that offer similar services with the hardware included in a higher monthly cost if you prefer. In theory someone could cut your internet connection to defeat the alarm but they can just as easily cut a phone line, probably easier. A cell based solution solves that but costs more.

Think Protection also offers cellular backup for $4 a month.

FrontPoint Security is a similar system and idea. You buy the system, can do the monitoring yourself or pay them a small fee to monitor.