Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #281
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Sometimes we hear things sure ... but not from Treliving. Guessing the Kadri info was coming out of Toronto, same as the Zucker info from Minny.

He's certainly not one to lay out plans.

What we do know is he's a many irons in the fire guy and uses the word process to much.

I'm guessing he two or three processes running right now.
Definitely, Treliving works under the radar for the most part.

We either hear a deal is suddenly imminent (LeBrun), or we find out after it fell through.

I get the general frustration with a seemingly lack of change this summer after an incredible regular season followed by embarrassing first round loss.

Of course we could have / should have won both Games 2 and 4. Up late in both, allowed the tying goal (fluke bounce and a late penalty, maybe questionable), and we had Grade A chances in OT in both games (Frolik went shortside not the empty farside, and Backlund couldn't get the puck over Grubauer's pad).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #282
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I was not expecting something major, but it's clear that the Flames have an excess of defencemen and could use an upgrade at the #2 RW/C position. The Flames had defencemen that teams wanted, but they were unable to make any moves.

I am not optimistic at this point. It seems that most teams the Flames would have traded with have now jammed themselves up with their own cap issues. I do not see a backup plan anymore.

The whole situation is a little disheartening. I know the Flames killed in the regular season last season, but they need more offensive drive.
Sure, that is how it seems, but not every trade or player acquisition in the NHL occurs out of necessity. Last summer the SJ Sharks sure seemed to be the least likely of teams to add Erik Karlsson, and now he is under contract to play there for eight more years. With some considerable frequency teams also make trades to improve upon what they already have, and TJ Brodie sure as hell provides an upgrade on at least a few defensemen from pretty much every NHL team. I don't doubt that making a deal is challenging for Treliving—and that is the reason it is taking time. However, I remain pretty confident that Brodie can and will still be moved in a hockey trade that also helps the Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-10-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #283
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes we hear things sure ... but not from Treliving. Guessing the Kadri info was coming out of Toronto, same as the Zucker info from Minny.

What we do know is he's a many irons in the fire guy and uses the word process to much.

He doesn't always have a succession plan, as we saw in cases such as Zucker, Bishop, and Reaves. He doesn't seem to have a problem with either moving on or deferring to obviously inferior Walmart brand alternatives. I'm not convinced there's a lot out there left to be done as a plan B to Kadri, as most places Brodie could be traded to are dealing with their own cap issues. And if they're not, Gardiner is still out there waiting to be signed without having to give up a top 6 player.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on a few scenarios that seem plausible, although not ideal:

-Neal for Turris
-Frolik and Stone bought out
-Brodie for a couple of 2nds (Montreal, if I had to guess)
-Sign Pat Maroon as a kind of "David Moss, top line player" bargain bin solution to the toughness issues
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #284
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Trade Idea's

TJ Brodie for Kyle Palmieri

Michael Frolík for Marcus Foligno

Michael Stone for Cody Eakin & Ryan Reaves

Gaudreau - Monahan - Palmieri
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Eakin - Foligno
Mangiapane - Ryan - Neal
Jankowski - Reaves

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Välimäki - Kylington
Davidson - Yelesin

Rittich
Talbot

Dubé first call-up.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #285
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post

Mangiapane - Ryan - Neal
Jankowski - Reaves

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Välimäki - Kylington
Davidson - Yelesin

Rittich
Talbot

Dubé first call-up.
You got something against Michael's or what?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #286
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Mangiapane - Ryan - Neal
Jankowski - Reaves

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Välimäki - Kylington
Davidson - Yelesin

Rittich
Talbot

Dubé first call-up.
in a perfect world, that seems nice, but first off, I dont think any of those trades are accepted from the other side. on top of that:

Brodie $4.65M = Palmieri ($4.65)
Frolik $4.3M > Foligno ($2.875)
Stone $3.5M < Reeves (2.75) + Eakins ($3.85)

So a cap strapped team that needs to unload salary ends up taking on an extra $3M?

Nice thoughts, but these proposals are DOA.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #287
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Other moves can be made to increase breathing room, for instance, who says Calgary can't deal away James Neal, Derek Ryan, Mark Jankowski, Austin Czarnik or Travis Hamonic?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #288
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Definitely, Treliving works under the radar for the most part.

We either hear a deal is suddenly imminent (LeBrun), or we find out after it fell through.
Is this perception or reality though?

There were lots of rumours about hamilton. Mackenzie speculated that Hamilton was available as early as 2016 and lebrun had the outline of the eventual deal a week before the draft.

Mike Smith rumour was out there same timeline. Brouwer. Bishop. Lots of chatter that Brodie has been on the market for weeks. Lebrun was calling the flames adding a depth left handed d like a month or two out from the deadline before they grabbed fantenberg. Talbot signing was basically a foregone conclusion a week before free agency?

I dunno, I feel like the things tre adds are not that mysterious generally because he's plugging holes that are pretty obvious and talking to pretty much everyone in the league.

The amount of info friedman and lebrun seem to get out of Calgary makes me think Tre can be one of the chattier GM's on the league.

I think league wide we don't hear about deals until they happen, but I feel like there has been plenty of forecasting of the moves the flames were going to make before they made them since Tre arrived.

Quote:
I get the general frustration with a seemingly lack of change this summer after an incredible regular season followed by embarrassing first round loss.

Of course we could have / should have won both Games 2 and 4. Up late in both, allowed the tying goal (fluke bounce and a late penalty, maybe questionable), and we had Grade A chances in OT in both games (Frolik went shortside not the empty farside, and Backlund couldn't get the puck over Grubauer's pad).
I mean, there's your area of frustration right there. Offense outside of tkachuk from the second line was an issue all season but particularly down the stretch, and the lack of offense very much burned Calgary against the avs.

I think it's great / obvious Calgary was looking to upgrade that second line both at the deadline and this off-season, but not being able to close a deal when lots of players have moved around is disheartening. It hurt really bad at he deadline and it looks like it will be tough to address this summer.

I'm with you though, I hope tre has more magic up his sleeve.

With what we know is out there / available it's hard to see what that roadmap might be. In previous years, this wasn't the case.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 07-10-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #289
Flamette
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I dream that Treliving is secretly working on a Rakell/Brodie swap... *sigh*
Flamette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #290
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Other moves can be made to increase breathing room, for instance, who says Calgary can't deal away James Neal, Derek Ryan, Mark Jankowski, Austin Czarnik or Travis Hamonic?
If they find a way to deal Neal, after last season, they should do it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #291
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Is this perception or reality though?

The amount of info friedman and lebrun seem to get out of Calgary makes me think Tre can be one of the chattier GM's on the league.

I think league wide we don't hear about deals until they happen, but I feel like there has been plenty of forecasting of the moves the flames were going to make before they made them since Tre arrived.
You're certainly welcome to your own perception.

But I'd say reality, from my end, or by my perception. You can't just assume that Hamilton rumours mean Treliving is chatty. It takes two teams (at least) to talk trade and guys like Friedman have always said you don't get much out of Treliving. The leak can come from either side.

Take Minnesota. Zucker was leaked with Calgary, then again with Pittsburgh. There's a management group in common on both sides.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #292
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mean, Brodie has been rumoured to Montreal and Toronto and there's one Management group in common on that as well.

Did Minnesota leak that tre was 'white hot'?

Rumours come from everywhere, I don't think treliving is necessarily any more or less chatty than any other gm, but the fact that he seems to be gathering information from all over the league lends itself to information coming out.

I also think he's pretty savvy in how he handles the media, which means giving them information on occasion.

Like where did the treliving contract rumours come from? Who would've known that info outside.of the principles?

I think the lack of info means not a lot of calls are Bei g made right now, which makes sense given the chips Calgary is working with right now.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 07-10-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #293
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If they find a way to deal Neal, after last season, they should do it.

I think this has been mentioned on occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #294
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I wonder about Brian Boyle to Calgary. Enormous, physical warrior who scored 18 goals last year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #295
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My interpretation so far is as follows
- BT is somewhat limited by the Tkachuk contract situation. That is an x-factor that will define how much $$$ he has to work with. We see teams in similar situations. The Leafs seemingly are making moves and will somehow worry about Marner when they have to. The Canucks are adding cap space, and improving the team short-term, but feels like the wrong move long-term, and they have to deal with Boeser. The Jets and Lightning are in similar boats. The Flames appear not to want to back themselves in a corner
- It would also seem that BT has no appetite to move Brodie or Frolik as pure cap dumps or to give them away. Perhaps he is over-valuing them, but I would suspect he has a price in mind and if that price isn’t met, he will simply bring them back.
- The Kadri deal provides the bones of what BT is looking to do. It made sense. The fact that it fell through should not cause us to question the skills of the GM, because why it fell through appears out of his control
- I suspect we will still see a move or two, around Brodie and Frolik. But I also think the team largely will be brought back in tact. They will have this season to show that last season’s regular season was not a fluke, and that they can translate that success to the post-season. If not, I think next summer is the pinch point for some harder decisions and greater re-shaping of the roster around core pieces. Frankly I have questions about the roster and certain players and if you can win with them, but I can also buy giving the group another opportunity. Next summer though is a crucial moment for this franchise, and needs to be handled correctly.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #296
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think James Neal had the perfect storm for a crappy season last year. Stick he always used discontinued, three years of a lot of playoff hockey, injury issues. I think he was embarrassed and I think he will be working his ass off this summer to rebound. Getting the Neal we thought we were getting would be a huge boost to this teams offense and RW depth issue.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #297
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think James Neal had the perfect storm for a crappy season last year. Stick he always used discontinued, three years of a lot of playoff hockey, injury issues. I think he was embarrassed and I think he will be working his ass off this summer to rebound. Getting the Neal we thought we were getting would be a huge boost to this teams offense and RW depth issue.
How long should it take a guy to find a stick / adapt to a stick? That excuse is so bizarre and lame.

So the perfect combination - his skills, which are top, say, 2% of all goal scorers and ... just the right stick, but then any and every other stick erodes all of his skills and turns him in to a pumpkin?

They measure lies, curve, flex etc. Do people think the Flames can afford to drop 5.75 million on a guy and yet can’t afford to find a guy to look for the closest replacement to this baby’s magic stick?

They must have found a stick that weighed 30 pounds and that weight was like lead in s jockey’s saddle, and slowed his skating to a snail’s pace.

Too many excuses with Neal. If he is embarrassed, he should be
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 AM   #298
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I wonder about Brian Boyle to Calgary. Enormous, physical warrior who scored 18 goals last year.
I like Boyle, but my only problem with letting Hathaway go was if your going to let him go because of a 1.5 million/year on the 4th line is rich, then fine, replace him internally on league min. If your going to go out and spend more on Ryan Reaves and Boyle to play on your 4th line, why didnt you just resign the younger, and in my opinion faster and better Hathaway. Im going to miss Hathaway, end of rant.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 AM   #299
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
You are focusing on just a small portion of those games.

Calgary got hugely outplayed in the series and certainly shouldn't think that they should have won the series except for some fluke plays..
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 AM   #300
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
I like Boyle, but my only problem with letting Hathaway go was if your going to let him go because of a 1.5 million/year on the 4th line is rich, then fine, replace him internally on league min. If your going to go out and spend more on Ryan Reaves and Boyle to play on your 4th line, why didnt you just resign the younger, and in my opinion faster and better Hathaway. Im going to miss Hathaway, end of rant.
I quite like Hathaway, but he never brought the impact that Boyle did in his prime. Boyle is not only a much higher and more frequent hitter than Hathaway, he's also a large pest.

That being said. Boyle is getting on in his age. I wouldn't be overly excited about the pickup. However I do see why it's different than signing Hathaway for four years.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote