Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #101
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Lol. Spittin-chiclets becoming a little bit danger zone.
Nah. I mean it shouldn't be. If Roenick would have taken one of the many outs that the hosts tossed at him, clear indication that they felt uncomfortable with the subject matter, he would have been fine. They tried to do him a favour, he was just too stupid to realize that actions can have repercussions.

I mean, he's telling the story and Biz interrupts to say "Careful, she's a coworker." Doesn't get much clearer than that.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #102
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Like what's the point of this?

You're trying to draw a comparison between a fight that happened 40 years ago, long before Milbury was hired, to sexual harassment of a currently employed coworker that was dealt with the same week it came out?

The guy who got beat by his own shoe was asking for it and instigated it. Are you suggesting she somehow instigated it?
Lmao, I didn't think green text was necessary. I can't believe someone thought that was a serious comment.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #103
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...did he pull a Lynn Beyak in the sexual harassment training or something?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #104
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and guess, by the tone of that post, that NBC fired JR.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #105
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Icon34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Nah. I mean it shouldn't be. If Roenick would have taken one of the many outs that the hosts tossed at him, clear indication that they felt uncomfortable with the subject matter, he would have been fine. They tried to do him a favour, he was just too stupid to realize that actions can have repercussions.

I mean, he's telling the story and Biz interrupts to say "Careful, she's a coworker." Doesn't get much clearer than that.
They could have very easily edited it out if they wanted to / felt like it was inappropriate. Spittin Chiclets deserves some of the blame too IMO
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #106
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a stupid thing to say and actions have consequences. This seems like a pretty standard response by an employer since like 2005.

Still, I like JR and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere. He's paid an appropriate price so I feel he's entitled to redemption.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #107
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if that was worthy of firing someone over, particularly given the public apologies and what not. But Roenick was a crappy analyst and commentator, so I'm not exactly going to shed any tears that he won't be appearing on NBC broadcasts anymore.

Now fire Milbury. For incompetence.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #108
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Mike Milbury will be next because 40 years ago he beat some poor bugger with a shoe.

That depends on the who the person was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #109
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
They could have very easily edited it out if they wanted to / felt like it was inappropriate. Spittin Chiclets deserves some of the blame too IMO
Absolutely not, something somebody says is the blame of the person that said it, that's it and that's all. People like Spittin' Chiclets specifically because it isn't edited and has lots of good stories, no need to start changing that because one guy shot himself in the foot
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #110
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect Roenick wouldn’t apologize like they wanted and wouldn’t promise in a way they believed that he’d restrain himself. You let this incident go, put him back on and he says something worse, everyone says “well, you knew what he was like”.

When Cherry was ultimately fired, there were quite a few who said, “well, that’s just how he is and CBC/SN knew it”. So they are avoiding that situation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #111
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roenick is suing NBC Sports for Anti-Straight Discrimination in firing him:

https://tvline.com/2020/07/17/jeremy...sports-hockey/

Quote:
Hockey commentator Jeremy Roenick is firing back at NBC Sports, accusing his former employer of discriminating against him for being straight.
Quote:
Roenick’s lawsuit states that figure skating commentator Johnny Weir made “colorful commentary” about skaters’ body parts for NBC Sports during the 2018 Winter Olympics, and when Roenick asked his supervisor about that, the supervisor responded that Weir “is gay and can say whatever.” Roenick’s suit also points to a promotional video featuring Weir and on-air partner Tara Lipinski that included vulgar language; Weir and Lipinski were not suspended or fired.
Quote:
Roenick also claims that he was fired because the network was retaliating against him for his support of President Donald Trump. When he asked for permission to speak at the 2016 Republican National Convention, he alleges he was told: “You know who you work for. You work for NBC. That would not look good on your NBC record.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #112
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an asshat.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #113
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Christ. Sounds like a dork.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #114
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always felt discriminated against, must be because il TOO straight.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #115
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

"the supervisor responded that Weir “is gay and can say whatever.”"

Sure this is annoying and wrong, but...... discriminating against him for being straight? Are you freakin' kidding me JR? Get real
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #116
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaks for itself.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #117
ballin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have a strong feeling (right or wrong) that we are going to see alot more of this kind of thing going forward, considering where our society is at.
ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #118
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people want equality there needs to be equal rules for all , especially in regards to employment

If NBC actually said someone can say want they want because they are gay , but enforced different rules for other groups , it absolutely is discrimination
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #119
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
If people want equality there needs to be equal rules for all , especially in regards to employment

If NBC actually said someone can say want they want because they are gay , but enforced different rules for other groups , it absolutely is discrimination

I’m suspicious of the authenticity of that quote, but if it’s true, then yes, he sort of has a case.

It would be wonderful if people who claim to be progressive would stop providing easy fodder for these aholes.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #120
Wedge
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
"the supervisor responded that Weir “is gay and can say whatever.”"

Sure this is annoying and wrong, but...... discriminating against him for being straight? Are you freakin' kidding me JR? Get real
I think it's great. As if he's serious about being discriminated against. I'm pretty darn sure his point is that every group out there except for hetro white men can, and do, go cry about being wronged. Good on him.
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wedge For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good