Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #3121
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yeah definitely look at the hot water tank first before doing anything else.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #3122
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What are people's thoughts on bathtubs in ensuite bathrooms? As far as resale goes.

Covid has thrown a wrench in my time-line, but we want to renovate the ensuite at some point. I've basically been designing it in my head forever. If it were totally up to us, with no reprocussions, we'd toss that stupid tub in a second. We've never used it. But I always wonder if that would handicap us in the future.

The space saved would be used to expand the shower a tad and basically add more storage.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #3123
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
What are people's thoughts on bathtubs in ensuite bathrooms? As far as resale goes.

Covid has thrown a wrench in my time-line, but we want to renovate the ensuite at some point. I've basically been designing it in my head forever. If it were totally up to us, with no reprocussions, we'd toss that stupid tub in a second. We've never used it. But I always wonder if that would handicap us in the future.

The space saved would be used to expand the shower a tad and basically add more storage.
If you have one elsewhere, toss it. I’m doing that as we have one in the basement.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #3124
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you have one in another above grade bathroom? Most people just want one somewhere for bathing young kids, and the general bathroom is a better location. On occasion one of the spouses wants an ensuite tub to play out a movie scene with wine, candles and a bubble bath but you'd find plenty of buyers are perfectly happy with a good shower only in an ensuite.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #3125
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah we have a rather small second full bathroom upstairs, and it has a very often used bathtub (kids) but the ensuite tub collects dust.

Every once in awhile I'll casually bring it up in conversation to guage where we're at as a society regarding baths.

"Who even takes baths anymore?"

There's always some shmuck,

"I love my Sunday bath!"

Then I invariably second guess my ensuite design.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #3126
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah we have a rather small second full bathroom upstairs, and it has a very often used bathtub (kids) but the ensuite tub collects dust.

Every once in awhile I'll casually bring it up in conversation to guage where we're at as a society regarding baths.

"I love my Sunday bath!"

Assuming it's fibreglass and not cast iron.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #3127
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post

From experience.... make sure you have a lot of blades! The fiberglass eats them up quickly!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #3128
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"I love my Sunday bath!"

Put in a normal tub if you want. The giant soaker tubs are useless. Everyone's ripping them out and they're extremely unpopular in newer builds and renos.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #3129
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I managed to get rid of a enamel coated steel one on Kijiji. Some lady came and picked it up and was going to install it in the place she was renting. She did not really seem like she know what she was doing(like asking the landlord if she could put a bathtub in).
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #3130
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

When I get to renoing my ensuite, the tub space is going to be replaced with a shower only.

The current shower space will go to the new vanity, and the current vanity space will just be left as open floor space.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #3131
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I guess showering with your significant other in a bigger shower can be as much fun as having a bath together...
Old 10-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #3132
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I guess showering with your significant other in a bigger shower can be as much fun as having a bath together...
I would say more so. Couples baths, even in a big tub, is significantly inferior to a shower in a nice big space.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #3133
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I managed to get rid of a enamel coated steel one on Kijiji. Some lady came and picked it up and was going to install it in the place she was renting. She did not really seem like she know what she was doing(like asking the landlord if she could put a bathtub in).
Amazing. I picture some old quack filling the tub, taking a bath and pulling the plug with no drain connected. I hope someone lived under her for extra hilarity.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #3134
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tore out a jetted tub (80s vintage) and replaced it with more vanity space and larger shower.

We had similar concerns about resale, but to be honest, I doubt there would be any impact on that, PLUS, we use and enjoy the extra space literally every day and do not miss the tub at all. Glad I pulled the trigger.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #3135
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey is there any magic way to pump more heat into my ensuite? It gets really cold in there. I should have installed in-floor heating when I renoed in 2016, but didn't. I'd rather not rip out the tile and redo it now.

Currently I have a space heater on a timer that warms it up in the morning and evening. Kind of lame to have a space heater sitting in there all the time, though.

What I'd like is some sort of heater that fits under the vanity. I'm lucky in that the utility room is right below the bathroom, so it would be easy to screw around basically anywhere below the bathroom.

Also, there is a heat vent that goes into the bathroom. Are there any little heaters I can buy that you shove into that duct to blast heat? I could power it from the utility room. I'm not talking about a fan booster in the duct... I mean like an actual heater.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #3136
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

My current ensuite has the large tub, but the while thing is so dated, poorly laid out, and poorly executed that rebuilding with a nicer large shower only would be a significant upgrade to resale.

I can’t even really fill the whole tub with hot water from the HWT.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 10-21-2020 at 09:41 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #3137
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can add a cool 70's red heat bulb to you light fixtures maybe. Or install a heat lamp....kind of depends what you have for lights now. But those warming lights really do the trick.

You can also maybe get a heated towel rack. Warm towel are great. Or heated floor mats. They would help a bit. Warm feet are also great.

I wonder if a heater under the vanity would seriously melt the vanity after a while. Hot air rising and all.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #3138
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it seems like:

Thermostatic valves >= Hot water tank >> Pipes.

Got it, thanks!

Quote:

Might bother young families a little bit who have little ones to bathe if there's no bath tubs at all.

For the young professionals, might depend how well done it is (ie: Looks like a great decision vs something that looks like someone cut corners).

Lots of people might not care overall.

If you do go 100% shower though, definitely take the opportunity to consider a hand held shower head or a shower with both a shower head and a hand held option as opposed to just garden variety shower heads. Somehow habit wise, I occasionally fill things like humidifiers with the tub and it doesn't fit under the tap and holding it under a shower is dumb for obvious reasons. It's also fantastic for cleaning a glass only shower stall (ie: rinsing glass after cleaning it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey is there any magic way to pump more heat into my ensuite? It gets really cold in there. I should have installed in-floor heating when I renoed in 2016, but didn't. I'd rather not rip out the tile and redo it now.

Currently I have a space heater on a timer that warms it up in the morning and evening. Kind of lame to have a space heater sitting in there all the time, though.

What I'd like is some sort of heater that fits under the vanity. I'm lucky in that the utility room is right below the bathroom, so it would be easy to screw around basically anywhere below the bathroom.

Also, there is a heat vent that goes into the bathroom. Are there any little heaters I can buy that you shove into that duct to blast heat? I could power it from the utility room. I'm not talking about a fan booster in the duct... I mean like an actual heater.
Something like this? I saw something like this installed in the bathroom in an Air BnB in Portland, but it had the temperature controls on the wall.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dimplex-2000-W...e-deals&sr=8-2
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #3139
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

If your utility room is under it and your joist bays are exposed you are in luck. You can get an infloor heat product that can be retrofitted under the subfloor from below.

You probably want to research more extensively, but here’s what it looks like. https://www.warmyourfloor.com/knowle...der-subfloors/

Last edited by topfiverecords; 10-21-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #3140
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
If your utility room is under it and your joist bays are exposed you are in luck. You can get an infloor heat product that can be retrofitted under the subfloor from below.

You probably want to research more extensively, but here’s what it looks like. https://www.warmyourfloor.com/knowle...der-subfloors/
Holy crap, this is what I was hoping existed. My joist bays are exposed. I'll look into this. Thanks man!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote