Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM   #5981
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is it in conduit? That seems ridiculous. Enmax didn't actually charge me anything when I went from 100A to 200A. I was also moving the meter from the house to garage, but the transformer is just above that corner, so they didn't have to go far.
There are barely any single home residential services that are ran in conduit all the way to the transformer in Calgary. Directional drilling is unlikely to be an option depending on other utilities in the area. A mix of digging / non destructive exposure methods would likely have to be done, plus any additional repairs to sidewalks, roadways, etc. It is a big job and not a cheap one

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 04-15-2024 at 09:03 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:20 PM   #5982
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
There are barely any single home residential services that are ran in conduit all the way to the transformer in Calgary. Directional drilling is unlikely to be an option depending on other utilities in the area. A mix of digging / non destructive exposure methods would likely have to be done, plus any additional repairs to sidewalks, roadways, etc. It is a big job and not a cheap one
Agreed. I saw some posts about someone who got quotes in Calgary in the last 2-3 years that made me somewhat optimistic for a potential long shot at a $10-15K project, even though it was underground.

I paid the deposit for the detailed quote. Worst comes to worst, I paid a grand for some neat blueprints that can go with my house and my itch for an explanation is scratched. Best case scenario, the quote comes in at a cost I cannot help but hesitate to consider.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 07:09 AM   #5983
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Agreed. I saw some posts about someone who got quotes in Calgary in the last 2-3 years that made me somewhat optimistic for a potential long shot at a $10-15K project, even though it was underground.

I paid the deposit for the detailed quote. Worst comes to worst, I paid a grand for some neat blueprints that can go with my house and my itch for an explanation is scratched. Best case scenario, the quote comes in at a cost I cannot help but hesitate to consider.
You made the same choice I would have made then. Get a firm price on it, maybe you’ll luck out and it’s an easy job. Fingers crossed.

Something you may be interested in is talking to your nearby neighbours and see if anyone else is interested in upgrading their services to 200A and you may be able to split the costs of the excavation and repairs that way. If you want some more info send me a PM and I can probably help you with some background stuff.

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 04-16-2024 at 07:34 AM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: