Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 12:58 AM   #1421
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading about Zayne Parekh, and found an interest bit of trivia about him. It isn't directly related to hockey ability, but he apparently graduated high school two years early and has been enrolled at the University of Toronto. Sound like a really intelligent person.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:46 AM   #1422
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Based on what I read about Catton, he sounded similar to Huberdeau, just smaller. I have also heard some people suggest that Lindstrom's size gives him a big advantage in junior that won't come as easily in the NHL. It's must be a tricky thing for a scout, because getting a player with size is always a plus, but you have to be sure that it isn't disguising any flaws.
Its funny how different people's perceptions are.

When I read up on him and look at his profile I see point with a bit less relentlessness but makes it up in other areas.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:47 AM   #1423
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Based on what I read about Catton, he sounded similar to Huberdeau, just smaller. I have also heard some people suggest that Lindstrom's size gives him a big advantage in junior that won't come as easily in the NHL. It's must be a tricky thing for a scout, because getting a player with size is always a plus, but you have to be sure that it isn't disguising any flaws.

When I read up on him and look at his profile I see Point as his comp ceiling with a bit less relentlessness but makes it up in other areas.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:50 AM   #1424
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post

When I read up on him and look at his profile I see point with a bit less relentlessness but makes it up in other areas.
Yeah, I don't really know. When I watched his highlights tonight, I see a player that leads the rush more than Huberdeau.

I don't know the person behind this video, but he seems to be pretty dialed in with scouting. He made a style comparison to Marner.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:58 AM   #1425
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the generational icons idea, but at 9th or 8th overall it might be a bit high to draft Tij.

I'll be pretty happy with any of the handful of guys projected to go top 10. There's some juicy talent to pick from. I'd veer towards Buium for d-men, and Catton for centers. Would be happy with a number of alternatives. Just lukewarm on Yakemchuk. I'd rather take Iggy in that case.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:21 AM   #1426
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgarySames View Post
Maybe a bit of a hot take here, but if the Flames end up drafting high enough that Lindstrom and Catton are both available, I'd favor Catton.

I know that Linstrom is more of the traditional Calgary style pick. His forecheck and backcheck remind me a lot of Datsyuk, relying on high end stick handling and positioning to take pucks away, and he has a great first step, reaching full speed quickly. He is relied upon on the PK for his positioning and the fact that he is still a threat offensively even on the kill. And I think he would be a great fit on a line with Huberdeau and Coronato. He uses his speed and postions himself well for Huberdeau style passes. He can make space and feed Coronato, while being a threat to shoot. The league seems more and more to favor his style of play.

Lindstrom has his size, and can skate very well for his size, and has a great shot. But he isn't as dynamic in the offensive zone, and doesn't bring the same sort of defensive effort that Catton does.

Ideally when we get up to make our pick Lindstrom is already off the table and Catton is still available, but personally given the choice between the two I'm taking Catton every day of the week.
Based on what we have seen from Conroy since taking over I would wager heavily on the Flames taking Lindstrom over Catton because size seems to be a bit of a priority. I'm happy to be wrong here though.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:48 AM   #1427
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Josh Doan just scored his first goal in his first game for the Coyotes today… doesn’t seem to effect him too much
How is Arizona's fan base comparable to Calgary's?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:21 AM   #1428
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you look at organizational depth doesn't the pick have to be a center really? The top two centers on the team are 33 and 35 years old. Honzek as of today is looking like he could be a future middle 6 center but after that it's pretty bleak. If Lindstrom is available where they pick I have a hard time seeing the Flames pass on him. Even if Honzek and Lindstrom ultimately don't turn into 1st line centers as we have seen with Backlund there's a lot of value in having guys like him. I actually think Iginla looks like a guy that's going to have a good NHL career but who's going to play center for all these wingers in the coming years? Center to me makes the most sense especially if they are in a position to take Lindstrom or Catton with their first pick.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 07:30 AM   #1429
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
How is Arizona's fan base comparable to Calgary's?
He's ok, bit of a loner...
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 08:03 AM   #1430
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
He's ok, bit of a loner...
I chuckled out loud. This was the perfect morning read.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:39 AM   #1431
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Someone mentioned it earlier but I too think Catton will go earlier then we all anticipate based on being a top C prospect much like McTavish did.

His skillset is just too strong.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:50 AM   #1432
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we hold the 9th pick as of today based on winning %?

Best 9th overall Draft picks?

2019 Trevor Zegras
2016 Mikhail Sergachev
2015 Timo Meier
2013 Bo Horvat
2012 Jacob Trouba
2011 Dougie Hamilton
2007 Logan Couture
2003 Dion Phaneuf
2000 Brent Krahn
1988 Rod Brind'Amour
1986 Brian Leetch
1983 Cam Neely
1981 James Patrick
1980 Mike Bullard

My takeaway being - we need Pit, Mtl, Buf, Ott, Sea, and Ari to keep winning... or a lottery ball for once...
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:53 AM   #1433
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Josh Doan just scored his first goal in his first game for the Coyotes today… doesn’t seem to effect him too much
Yes, Josh Doan playing under the shadow of 2-time 30 goal scorer Shane Doan in the hockey hot-bed of Arizona is totally the same as Tij playing under the shadow of Hall of Fame Iginla In a Canadian market.
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:21 AM   #1434
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Nepotism isn't the concern here. It's expectations. If Tij gets drafted by a team like NYI, then he gets to build his own legacy there. If Tij gets drafted by Calgary the expectations for him to live up to and exceed his dad's legacy will be high. All things being equal, the Calgary fanbase will have the most pressure on Tij for him to be a top player.
Frankly I don't think that's a concern... if Tij Iginla is the type that will wilt under-pressure then I don't want the team to draft him anyways and whomever does draft him will regret it because if he'd wilt under-pressure just because of where he is then he'd wilt under-pressure because it's the playoffs or because it's the dying seconds of a game and you're 1 down or any of the numerous other high pressure situations he'd inevitably face.

I don't want a guy who'll wilt under pressure... I want a guy who'll thrive under it and live for it.

... but I don't believe that I've heard any make-up concerns with him so he'll be fine.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 05:26 PM   #1435
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a little wrinkle with Lindstrom. Sounds like his hand is all healed up but his back is apparently giving him grief and he might not be back for the WHL playoffs.

If it's a chronic back issue he's dealing with he might not be a guy you want to spend a high pick on. Could be very risky.

Missing 4+ months of hockey with two different issues might cause him to fall on draft day too.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 05:29 PM   #1436
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe he can fall from #3 to #9?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:21 PM   #1437
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the thing. I don't think thered be much of a conversation about Lindstrom vs. Catton or any other player if he got his games played comparatively. Even if he produced a little under Catton at 1.5 ppg, the rankings would have him top 5 regardless. The fact he's still lingering in the top 8 or 9 on most rankings with only 37 gp should say all there needs to be said.

Reality is, he's missed a ton of time, he's still ranked higher for a reason. If he drops because of injury, I think it's worth the risk in the 8-13 range.

Honestly, if the Flames land a top 10 pick, I'll be happy with almost any of the kids ranked 1-15. Id prefer to land a center or a D man before a winger though, at least a winger not named Demidov.

Personally, I'm hoping for that old secondary draft lottery win where you can jump up 3 spots. Just an overall better chance at getting your player.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:15 PM   #1438
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if he’s had a good 37 games back and hand injuries are concerning. I’d be bummed if we sat through a season like this a took an injury plagued player. Later round picks I’m all for it.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:23 PM   #1439
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Based on what we have seen from Conroy since taking over I would wager heavily on the Flames taking Lindstrom over Catton because size seems to be a bit of a priority. I'm happy to be wrong here though.
Both of them play their size. Just one of them is 6'3" 210#. Of course that one i already showing wear, so who knows.

Would be happy with a Katton pick, though. Think he's a solid kid with a lot of upside.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:28 PM   #1440
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Would be happy with a Katton pick, though. Think he's a solid kid with a lot of upside.
Who's Katton? Is he some relation of Hannifan?

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft