Old 09-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #1521
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Hahah, did you upgrade? If so, I must know to what
Umm. Sort of...

I had a Denon in the living room that died, and I replaced it with this. I then had a Pioneer SC-57 in the home theater that died. I ended up replacing the Pioneer with a Denon S930.

I then discovered that the issue that took down the Pioneer was now covered under a recall, so I had it repaired. Leaving me with 3 receivers. So now the plan is to use the S930 and the SC-57. I actually forgot I even posted it for sale here until this thread.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #1522
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone experienced a sudden failure of IR repeaters? Granted they are about 10 years old but seems odd that both (I have two separate repeater units) have failed in the same system. There have power but something is stopping communication with devices.

Will order new ones off Amazon.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #1523
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m with Shaw and they have no 4K content. Is a the firestick a good option? Is there any way for me to go get 4K sports?
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #1524
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
I’m with Shaw and they have no 4K content. Is a the firestick a good option? Is there any way for me to go get 4K sports?
To be honest it's not something that is worth chasing at this moment.

The only things that are broadcast in 4k are Toronto home games (MLB, MLS, NBA). Most of the 4k leafs telecasts are blacked out.

WJC has been in 4k a couple times.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #1525
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
To be honest it's not something that is worth chasing at this moment.

The only things that are broadcast in 4k are Toronto home games (MLB, MLS, NBA). Most of the 4k leafs telecasts are blacked out.

WJC has been in 4k a couple times.
Yikes that’s rough. Nothing 4K in any pro sports in Canada yet? How about the movie/tv options
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #1526
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yikes that’s rough. Nothing 4K in any pro sports in Canada yet? How about the movie/tv options
I don't think you will see 4K outside of toronto anytime soon for sports.

There are some movie/netflix/amazon prime options out there but its not a huge amount.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #1527
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fox tried it for an NFL game and it didn't go so well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...-industry/amp/

Sky Sports does some F1 in UHD, but I've not been able to find a stream.

As bizarre as it sounds, TSN/Sportsnet seem to be at for forefront for 4k.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #1528
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where are folks purchasing their home theatre equipment these days? I'm looking at getting the XBR85X950G from Sony as well as an AVRX2500H Denon receiver. Visions has both but is Visions a great option these days? In the past, they have been challenging to deal with if there is any after sales support that's needed. Normally, Costco is my go to option but they don't carry the TV I'd like...for now. Best Buy and Amazon are also options too I suppose.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #1529
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I carry both of those brands. PM if you want pricing etc.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #1530
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone here have a OLED for a little while? Any issues with burn in?

I just got a LG C9 last week and I love it. Amazing picture and noticeably better than my Panasonic Plasma.

I had read about burn in however and have been babying it
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #1531
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Anyone here have a OLED for a little while? Any issues with burn in?

I just got a LG C9 last week and I love it. Amazing picture and noticeably better than my Panasonic Plasma.

I had read about burn in however and have been babying it
I’ve only had my C9 for about six months but I haven’t noticed any burnin. My plasma would get temporary lines from letterboxing but nothing permanent after 10 years. I think the software is smart enough to prevent it during casual use. Just as long as you’re not keeping a static image on it for hours and hours it should be fine.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #1532
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m in the market for a mid-range receiver and I haven’t bought one in a few years, but it seems like the next couple of weeks might be the right time to get one. I’ve only had experience using Denon and Yamaha, and I keep seeing Yamaha being recommended at the low- and mid-range. The problem is my experience with the on-screen display and configuration of Yamaha receivers has been much, much worse than with Denon. Does anyone have recent experience with both brands? My first instinct was to reject Yamaha outright, but then I thought maybe the user experience has improved since my last purchase.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #1533
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the user experience is comparible, but it is very subjective thing.

Around 2014ish, I stop selling Denon to clients. To many issues, failed boards etc. The local repair warranty shop absolutely sucked and usually took 6-10 weeks to repair anything I brought in.

I switched to Yamaha Aventage series (RXA series). They have been super reliable. I have had only one failure (which was out of the box), so it was a simple return to distributor to get a replacement.

Other reasons I think Yamaha are better:

- Musiccast >> HEOs
- 4 year warranty (Aventage) vs 2
- AV Controller app is excellent

You do pay more for Yamaha, but I find them well worth it.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 11-21-2019 at 09:40 AM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #1534
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys. Migrating over here from getting help buying a new LG C9 in the TV thread. Looking for help with a couple things.

1) I’m in the market for a sound bar (no sub or surround speakers) for the new TV. Based on the below priorities deal I struck with the boss, are there any stand out Black Friday recommendations?
a) It’s pretty
b) Not stupid expensive (I dunno like $300?)
c) Decent enough sound but doesn’t have to be super high end

2) Advice on optimizing my house smartness and set up especially with the new TV. The house came with some solid gear and I’m wondering if there’s any way to use it better. Currently have the following set up in a central cabinet location:
-HDT MCA-66 Controller/Amp wired to speakers throughout the house and connected to the modem with an HTD GW-SL1 Ethernet/RS232 converter thing
-A Chromecast plugged into the amp to cast music from our phones
-Cat6 hardwired to every room in the house to and TV location through a big switch.
-Standard Telus TV/internet equipment

We’re pretty much just using it to play music from our phones right now.

Last edited by Frequitude; 11-21-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #1535
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can find a deal on Vizio's soundbar systems I highly recommend those. I have one of the 5.1 setups and it's remarkably similar to real surround sound. Bang-for-your-buck-wise, I don't think they can be beat.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #1536
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If you can find a deal on Vizio's soundbar systems I highly recommend those. I have one of the 5.1 setups and it's remarkably similar to real surround sound. Bang-for-your-buck-wise, I don't think they can be beat.
Have the same and totally agree.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #1537
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Soundbars suck, especially when you’ve got a high end TV. Get some decent bookshelf speakers at least.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #1538
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Hey guys. Migrating over here from getting help buying a new LG C9 in the TV thread. Looking for help with a couple things.

1) I’m in the market for a sound bar (no sub or surround speakers) for the new TV. Based on the below priorities deal I struck with the boss, are there any stand out Black Friday recommendations?
a) It’s pretty
b) Not stupid expensive (I dunno like $300?)
c) Decent enough sound but doesn’t have to be super high end

2) Advice on optimizing my house smartness and set up especially with the new TV. The house came with some solid gear and I’m wondering if there’s any way to use it better. Currently have the following set up in a central cabinet location:
-HDT MCA-66 Controller/Amp wired to speakers throughout the house and connected to the modem with an HTD GW-SL1 Ethernet/RS232 converter thing
-A Chromecast plugged into the amp to cast music from our phones
-Cat6 hardwired to every room in the house to and TV location through a big switch.
-Standard Telus TV/internet equipment

We’re pretty much just using it to play music from our phones right now.
As mentioned already, the Vizio 5.1 soundbar systems (38" I believe) are worth looking into. They will fit your budget and shouldn't be more than around $250. It does come with a sub + back speakers, but the sub is wireless and back speakers are wired to the sub. With a single flick of a power button on the sub, it's merely a front 2.1 system.

IMO, quality wise it's going to be really darn good, it's not going to be without its faults. It's a $250 system after all. But I've described it akin to a triple card poker hand. Tons of stuff that can beat it, but it's very likely going to be a bigger step that beats it (ie: a 5 card hand) and not an incremental step (higher trips). I honestly believe you'd have to spend near $500 to supplant the Vizio 5.1 system.

https://www.costco.ca/vizio-sb3651-e...100371529.html

Damn, it's $210 right now with a $50 off delivered. It might be slightly cheaper in the warehouse ($10-20) if you run into it.

https://www.amazon.ca/VIZIO-SB4051-D...tronics&sr=1-1

This version is similar but more expensive. It's $275, but if the flat sub profile is a consideration worth contemplating, it's an option. It think most CP users who have the 5.1 have the Costco one or the earlier model of the Costco one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Soundbars suck, especially when you’ve got a high end TV. Get some decent bookshelf speakers at least.
For $300? Dude has a boss mandate and limited budget.

While I don't disagree that there's higher quality than sound bar, you're losing out if you spend $300 on a mere bookshelf set up. Better to nab the Vizio 5.1 and save up for a true surround sound set up IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #1539
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

For $300? Dude has a boss mandate and limited budget.

While I don't disagree that there's higher quality than sound bar, you're losing out if you spend $300 on a mere bookshelf set up. Better to nab the Vizio 5.1 and save up for a true surround sound set up IMO.
Ok, as a stopgap, sure. But if you have the budget for a $2500 TV you should eventually spend enough to get sound that matches the quality of the visual.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #1540
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Ok, as a stopgap, sure. But if you have the budget for a $2500 TV you should eventually spend enough to get sound that matches the quality of the visual.
I don't disagree with you. The Vizio would just be a fantastic stop gap. I just thought you were under estimating the unholy hell that may transpire if the guy upset the boss by blowing the $300 budget.

That and the $300 budget for a bookshelf wouldn't go very far. The receiver alone would probably easily blow most of the budget. The Vizio at $210 would blow what you'd acquire for $300 right out of the water. Thus... the recommendation to stopgap with Vizio 5.1 and save up to do the sound set up properly.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: