Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default NCAA Prospects scheduled to become UFA August 15

Incredibly bored right now with lack of news/activity so spent last night coming draft lists and the below 10 NCAA prospects are scheduled to become UFAs August 15 (in addition to Kevin Hayes):

Mark Adams D Buffalo - seems to be an injury riddled prospect

Derek Rodwell LW New Jersey - seems destined to be an energy, checking forward

Jeff Costello LW Tampa Bay - has already seen his rights traded twice, TB will not offer him a contract and want him to come to camp in Sept to see what he's got

Michael Cichy C Montreal - undersized C prospect

Max Tardy C St Louis - appears to have struggled adjusting to the college game. Would top out as a bottom six player

Nathan Codon C Colorado - good puck skills but one dimensional

Martin Oullette G Columbus - put up good numbers at U of Maine, if we have an opening in Colorado, why not?

Cody Ferrerio C San Jose - undersized forward, brother of Benn Ferrerio

Luke Moffatt RW Colorado - two way winger with upside but lacks explosiveness

Gus Young D Colorado - Flames should be all over this guy as Colorado doesn't seem too interested in signing him and given our lack of depth on D prospects wouldn't be a bad pick up. Rumored to have many suitors if he makes it to UFA

Here's a an article on Gus Young. Teammate of Agostino's at Yale so a possible connection:

Yale's Gus Young still waiting on Avs

Yale senior defenseman Gus Young remains unsigned by the Colorado Avalanche, the team that drafted him five years ago. With the August 15 deadline rapidly approaching, it appears he'll hit the free agent market.

New management, led by coach and VP of operations Patrick Roy, have taken control of the team since the Avs took Young in the seventh round out of Noble and Greenough Prep School. Roy doesn't seem particularly interested in signing most of the college players selected by the previous regime. Several sources have said Young will receive plenty of interest if he hits the free agent market next month.

Young, a 6-foot-2 and 207 pounds, was a steady and physical presence on Yale's blue line his final three seasons, most notably on the Bulldogs national championship team. Last winter he elevated his offensive game to register career highs of seven goals and 11 assists.

http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.ca/...ng-on-avs.html
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd be happy with Gus Young and/or Luke Moffatt.
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Arguably there is no room for Young in Adirondack (assuming everyone is healthy). Flames also have a very young and inexperienced group of D in Adirondack. Doubtful they would want to add another D with zero professional experience that would only push one of their draft picks to the ECHL.

Wotherspoon
Cundari
Sieloff
Alcolaste
Kulak
Culkin
Ramage

I find it doubtful that Young has more potential than any of the guys listed above.

Only way it makes sense for the Flames IMO, is if Young signs an AHL deal and starts the season in the ECHL.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing tempting there are all IMO.

If anything, I would had an AHL veteran or 2 just to help the kids a long.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Arguably there is no room for Young in Adirondack (assuming everyone is healthy). Flames also have a very young and inexperienced group of D in Adirondack. Doubtful they would want to add another D with zero professional experience that would only push one of their draft picks to the ECHL.

Wotherspoon
Cundari
Sieloff
Alcolaste
Kulak
Culkin
Ramage

I find it doubtful that Young has more potential than any of the guys listed above.

Only way it makes sense for the Flames IMO, is if Young signs an AHL deal and starts the season in the ECHL.
Cundari or Wotherspoon will probably make the flames unless I'm missing something. Ramage hasn't proven he can play in the AHL yet. I agree that Young doesn't have any more potential than what we have but aren't we going to have to pick up another D as a 7th on the big club or as depth on the farm anyway? I'd rather get a guy like Young than another vet.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Cundari or Wotherspoon will probably make the flames unless I'm missing something. Ramage hasn't proven he can play in the AHL yet. I agree that Young doesn't have any more potential than what we have but aren't we going to have to pick up another D as a 7th on the big club or as depth on the farm anyway? I'd rather get a guy like Young than another vet.
Treliving has already stated that he is looking to sign a veteran on a 2 way deal so guys like Wotherspoon and Cundari don't have to be rushed into the NHL. Very unlikely they make the Flames at the start of the season unless they completely exceed expectations at training camp.

Also the Adirondack Flames d-corp is very inexperienced. Only Acolaste and Cundari have more than 1 full pro season under there belts.

If the Flames are going to add to their farm depth it is going to be a vet.

edit: also Young hasn't proved that he can play in the AHL yet either

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-07-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Wotherspoon
Cundari
Sieloff
Alcolaste
Kulak
Culkin
Ramage

Gus Young is a heart and soul guy very similiar to Ramage. I support stacking the deck, so if him or Ramage pan out in that depth, leadership role, then that's better than not panning out.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Gus Young is a heart and soul guy very similiar to Ramage. I support stacking the deck, so if him or Ramage pan out in that depth, leadership role, then that's better than not panning out.
Yeah that's great and all, but why would he sign with the Flames when it looks like he there is a strong chance he is going to end up in the ECHL?

If the rumors are true that multiple teams are interested in him, isn't it more likely he is going to sign with a team that will give him more AHL time.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

You had me at injury riddled prospect.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Wotherspoon
Cundari
Sieloff
Alcolaste
Kulak
Culkin
Ramage

I guess I look at your list and see only four real prospects on d. Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Culkin and Kulak. Rampage isn't going to make it based on what we've seen so far and Cundari is short term depth or call up material. Given that we aren't strong in this position like we seem to be at F, seems prudent to stack the deck more and add to the list. We have the contract room so that's not an issue.

Another bonus is that you get a prospect that is further along in their development and might be more pro ready. No harm in sending Culkin or Kulak to Colorado to log big minutes and develop there to start.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's great and all, but why would he sign with the Flames when it looks like he there is a strong chance he is going to end up in the ECHL?

If the rumors are true that multiple teams are interested in him, isn't it more likely he is going to sign with a team that will give him more AHL time.
Yeah I see where you're coming from. You're right, there's certainly congestion.

I'd argue that quality of congestion is more important to a player than quantity. If I'm Gus Young, I would rather compete against guys like Engelland and Wotherspoon at a training camp than those 7-8th defenseman in the Flyers organization (as an example).

Also, I see Cundari, Ramage, and Alcolaste as the most likely to head to ECHL now that the Flames have changed their AHL policy from winning to development. We also forgot Roy as a guy slotted for Andironack
Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:

Also, I see Cundari, Ramage, and Alcolaste as the most likely to head to ECHL now that the Flames have changed their AHL policy from winning to development. We also forgot Roy as a guy slotted for Andironack
Alcolaste and Cundari cannot be sent to the ECHL unless they consent to the demotion. It is in the CBA that players with NHL contracts cannot be assigned to the ECHL without consent unless they are on an Entry Level Contract.

Quote:
13.11 No Loans to East Coast Hockey League. A Player who is not in the Entry Level System
may not be Loaned to the East Coast Hockey League without his consen

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-07-2014 at 06:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I see where you're coming from. You're right, there's certainly congestion.

I'd argue that quality of congestion is more important to a player than quantity. If I'm Gus Young, I would rather compete against guys like Engelland and Wotherspoon at a training camp than those 7-8th defenseman in the Flyers organization (as an example).

Acolaste should be nowhere near the ECHL. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he stays up as our 7th d-man. The battle right now is between Cundari and Acolaste. (barring any other signings/waiver pickups)
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #14
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am not at all concerned with signing a defensive prospect and bumping a draft pick to the ECHL. Some of the younger guys may not be ready for the AHL. And in all likelihood, if a 23 year old defenseman who has spent 4 years in college isn't ready to perform in the AHL his NHL potential is likely very limited. Say we sign Young, if Ramage can't beat him out for a spot in the AHL he's likely done as far as his NHL potential is concerned.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Acolaste should be nowhere near the ECHL. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he stays up as our 7th d-man. The battle right now is between Cundari and Acolaste. (barring any other signings/waiver pickups)
Sena Acolaste, the undrafted junior overager turned long time and unimpressive AHLer who was recently given a two way contract because the Sharks let him walk?

That's the Sena Acolaste who should be developed more than our current, more promising defensive prospects?

If you say so...
Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #16
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kevin Gravel is a much better prospect than Young and the Kings haven't signed him to an NHL deal yet. They signed him to an AHL deal, but that doesn't prevent him from signing an NHL deal with another team after August 15th.

6'4'' 200lbs L shooting D man
Former 2010 5th round pick of the LA Kings.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=35674

Recently finished his senior year of college. Used to be a very highly touted defensive d prospect until the curious matter of the Kings making him earn an NHL contract...

http://mayorsmanor.com/2014/04/kings...t-pro-debut-2/
Quote:
On coming to Manchester on an amateur tryout and not having an NHL contract:
“Pretty much, coming here, they wanted one last look at me. I took the ATO. They said [to] come in here and show that you can make the transition to being a pro, and we’ll go from there. I don’t really know. [I'm] just coming here to work hard, and keep my mouth shut, and try to play well on the ice. Hopefully things work out well for me.”
And this is what the LA Kings had to say about him just 5 months ago:
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=701606

Quote:
Yet, scouts and those who follow the game closely will tell you Gravel has a far better comparable than any of the names just mentioned.

Enter Robert John Scuderi, fifth round selection in 1998 out of Boston College.

"Now you've got it, that’s the comparison for Gravel," said Mark Yannetti, Co-Director of Amateur Scouting for the Kings.

Hold on though. Before you get a mental image of blood dripping down Scuderi's face in Game 6 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final, slow your roll just a bit. Gravel doesn't have that hard of an edge.

"I think the way that Kevin plays right now, that might be a more...," Yannetti paused, choosing his next words carefully. "Scuderi’s a little more of a hardened, I don’t want to use the word ‘warrior,’ because I don’t like the word. If people are warriors, if they screw up, they die. People who are soldiers, they’re fighting for something different than an NHL guy is. When you talk about sandpaper and grit, I don’t see [Gravel] having Scuds’ sandpaper or grit yet. Scuds didn't have that at Boston College though, and he didn't have that in the minors, or his first three years in Pittsburgh. Scuderi in L.A., was not the Scuderi early on in his career, but something changed. He was never soft, but something changed in him."
Quote:
Quote:
"I actually think that Kevin Gravel is very undervalued for what he could end up becoming in the NHL someday," Yannetti remarked. "You can go with the adage that there are 30 D1s because there are 30 teams, but there aren’t. There’s only eight to 10. I think the same can be said for D5s and D6s. You get a lot of D5s and D6s who are vanilla, just parts, that don’t fit the role the way that a certain team, or the way that the L.A. Kings want the role fit. You see a guy like this, and he’s not vanilla. He can skate, he can make a play. He’s very long in terms of the way that he defends. If he hits his potential physically, he might be 225 to 230 pounds. So, now you’ve got a guy who defines himself in that role if he hits."

Once he got going, Yannetti gave a sermon on Gravel reminiscent of a top athlete's representative on the eve of Free Agency.

"He defends long. There are plenty of six foot five guys, plenty of six foot three guys, who don’t defend long. He uses his stick with little subtleties, creating a defensive perimeter. If you watch the defensemen in the minors and in the NHL, they allow forwards to stickhandle in what I call their defensive triangle. It’s like a boxer’s reach. If a boxer has a great reach and he doesn’t use his jab, guys can come inside and start busting him up. Same with a hockey defenseman. If he has a great reach, but a lazy stick, or he holds it too close to his body, or he’s not active with it, guys can stickhandle inside his triangle, which now turns him from a 6-foot-5 defenseman to a 6-foot defenseman, no matter how physical he is. With Kevin, I saw that he defended long. I thought he defended long against the rush and I thought that he defended long in the zone, in the defensive half-court. I saw hints of a complete defensive game, where he might not have been as physical as some guys, but he established the same type of perimeter, just in a different way."
Could be a matter of the Kings thinking he might be a longer term project to the NHL... they still have a few other defensive prospects that might be crowding him out. At the very least the King's organization is split on him.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-08-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: updated the post I copied and pasted from posting history
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #17
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Agreed, Acoltse will likely be on the top defensive pairing in Adirondack

Quote:
Sena Acolaste, the undrafted junior overager turned long time and unimpressive AHLer who was recently given a two way contract because the Sharks let him walk?

That's the Sena Acolaste who should be developed more than our current, more promising defensive prospects?

If you say so...
Injury riddled, yes. Unimpressive, no. According to Sharks fans he wasn't unimpressive at all and most are quite upset he was not given a qualifying offer. Just because you don't know who a player is does not mean they were unimpressive or that they are no good. Acolatse is easily a top 4 defenseman on any AHL club and likely top pairing on Adirondack. Acolatse was most likely not signed because of his injury history, not because he is the poor player you deduce him to be. He will be nowhere near the ECHL.

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 08-09-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #18
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
...He will be nowhere near the AHL.
Er, you mean "ECHL." Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #19
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Er, you mean "ECHL." Right?
Oops, yes I did. Fixed, thanks.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames would probably be better served throwing a camp invite at a dub overager like Pavlo Padakin (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=68358) than any of these middling NCAA graduates
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote