Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #1881
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
I remember that about 15 years ago. You couldn't put your foot down in the shoulder without crushing them.

I saw a bunch along the canal pathway behind Heatherglen golf course last Friday.

Kinda related but not really

Remember seeing this in Jr High or High School and just laughing at the guy driving trying to get the toads.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #1882
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Spotted in Canyon Meadows today. No idea if it's contemporary or a more recent addition.

Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #1883
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Looking through this movie theatre website, specifically at the closed locations - http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/...lberta/calgary

Where was Southland Cinema, apparently located at Southland & MacLeod? Looking at the aerial maps of the time, I don't see an obvious cinema-like building, unless it was just a dinky thing?

Also where was the Southcentre cinema located in the mall?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:12 PM   #1884
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Looking through this movie theatre website, specifically at the closed locations - http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/...lberta/calgary

Where was Southland Cinema, apparently located at Southland & MacLeod? Looking at the aerial maps of the time, I don't see an obvious cinema-like building, unless it was just a dinky thing?

Southland was a smaller cinema that played slightly older films at discount prices. It only had a few screens, and they were smaller ones. I believe it was attached to an office building of some kind. Probably all just office space.

The Southcentre theatre is apparently now the Crate and Barrel.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #1885
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Southland cinema was at the base of one of the office buildings on the south side of Macleod, I believe.

The theater in Southcentre was where Crate and Barrel and Craft are now.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #1886
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Southland played first run movies.

The theatre was awful. The floor sloped up to the screen, so you were guaranteed a blocked view no matter where you were.

We tried to avoid it whenever we could, but Jurassic Park played there.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #1887
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Southland was in this building on Southport Road: https://goo.gl/maps/fhciKNuSyM5YgLCB7 It was in the rectangular part of the building on the west side where Go Go Golf is now.

This Southland Park sign used to be where the showtimes would be displayed: https://goo.gl/maps/utmFJ137wCR1D6eJ9

It was a decent-sized theatre for the era it was built. Much better than the tiny screens at Esso Plaza and Marlborough Mall.

For a long time, it was the only Cineplex theatre south of downtown. Until Cineplex bought Famous Players in the early 2000s, movies only played in one chain or the other depending on their studio. So, if a movie was only playing at a Cineplex theatre and you lived in the south, Southland was pretty much your only option.

Last edited by getbak; 05-27-2022 at 01:48 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 01:44 PM   #1888
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there a cinema in Chinatown? I remember going on a "I didn't know it was a date" with a girl and watching a Chinese movie, which I swear was in Chinatown.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #1889
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Was there a cinema in Chinatown? I remember going on a "I didn't know it was a date" with a girl and watching a Chinese movie, which I swear was in Chinatown.
Like back in the 80’s? I want to say there was; I have a distinct memory of getting dragged to a Chinese opera as a kid, and I believe there was a stage with seating where that would have occurred (that could have easily accommodated a screen to show movies).

Want to say it was somewhere in that strip of buildings on the northern side of 2 Ave SW (between centre street and 1 street sw)? Or maybe I’m misremembering…
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:03 PM   #1890
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Southland was in this building on Southport Road: https://goo.gl/maps/fhciKNuSyM5YgLCB7 It was in the rectangular part of the building on the west side where Go Go Golf is now.

This Southland Park sign used to be where the showtimes would be displayed: https://goo.gl/maps/utmFJ137wCR1D6eJ9

It was a decent-sized theatre for the era it was built. Much better than the tiny screens at Esso Plaza and Marlborough Mall.

For a long time, it was the only Cineplex theatre south of downtown. Until Cineplex bought Famous Players in the early 2000s, movies only played in one chain or the other depending on their studio. So, if a movie was only playing at a Cineplex theatre and you lived in the south, Southland was pretty much your only option.
I can't even imagine a theatre in Esso Plaza. Was it in the foodcourt? Or below?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #1891
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Used to be an Earls right beside it.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #1892
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I remember seeing High Fidelity at Esso Plaza, seem to remember it being on the 3rd or 4th floor.

Edit: Possibly getting that mixed up with the theater that used to be on Stephen Ave. Banker's Hall?

Last edited by Engine09; 05-27-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #1893
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Why did they close the bowling alley and theatre at Northhill Mall?

Nothing seemed to replace them except for more parking space.

The theatre was ancient but the bowling alley should have still been viable.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:24 PM   #1894
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I can't even imagine a theatre in Esso Plaza. Was it in the foodcourt? Or below?
Second floor. Where the pharmacy is. The hallway to the +15 was where the entrance was. Where the flower shop is now was an arcade.

I probably don't have the dimensions correct so where the stationary store (with the excellent selection of Moleskins!) is now could have been the arcade.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #1895
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Like back in the 80’s? I want to say there was; I have a distinct memory of getting dragged to a Chinese opera as a kid, and I believe there was a stage with seating where that would have occurred (that could have easily accommodated a screen to show movies).

Want to say it was somewhere in that strip of buildings on the northern side of 2 Ave SW (between centre street and 1 street sw)? Or maybe I’m misremembering…
This would have been 1994 or 1995.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:46 PM   #1896
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I remember seeing High Fidelity at Esso Plaza, seem to remember it being on the 3rd or 4th floor.

Edit: Possibly getting that mixed up with the theater that used to be on Stephen Ave. Banker's Hall?
I think you're thinking of Bankers Hall. Access to the theatres there was kind of weird.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #1897
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Used to be an Earls right beside it.
The old-style Earls with the fake parrots hanging from the ceiling.

It wasn't right beside the theatre, was it? I thought it was on the other side of the building. Where the closed Sushi place and children's dentist are here: https://goo.gl/maps/t1ePqLBFGpaQM6zWA
Old 05-27-2022, 03:50 PM   #1898
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
This would have been 1994 or 1995.
I was thinking late 80's, maybe early 90's.

In any event, my sister confirms there was at least one movie theatre in Chinatown (next to the Chinese School on 2nd Ave SW).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #1899
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I still have a dream about Sizzling Wok every 6months. Malaysian style Sate that i just haven't had anything close to in that style.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #1900
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I was thinking late 80's, maybe early 90's.

In any event, my sister confirms there was at least one movie theatre in Chinatown (next to the Chinese School on 2nd Ave SW).
Cool. Glad to see I'm only mostly crazy.

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time