Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #141
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are great moves for the bottom-6. I still think Tre has some moves up his sleeve, and this is not the team we start the season with.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #142
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am satisfied with the moves to round out the roster, address more team speed/defence, and the rather large holes on the PK.

I am fine with the being being 'set' now as the opening night roster. Hopefully sign some kids who passed through the draft, sign some PTOs, and that about does it.

I am not like the (seeming) majority who feels Gaudreau and/or Monahan need to go. Teams sometimes just need to learn how to win, and having better than average goaltending (and with a good tandem to boot!) can really be the difference maker.

Eagerly awaiting the start of the season (whenever that may be) now, and to see how Ward has this team playing.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:20 PM   #143
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I am satisfied with the moves to round out the roster, address more team speed/defence, and the rather large holes on the PK.

I am fine with the being being 'set' now as the opening night roster. Hopefully sign some kids who passed through the draft, sign some PTOs, and that about does it.

I am not like the (seeming) majority who feels Gaudreau and/or Monahan need to go. Teams sometimes just need to learn how to win, and having better than average goaltending (and with a good tandem to boot!) can really be the difference maker.

Eagerly awaiting the start of the season (whenever that may be) now, and to see how Ward has this team playing.
I would make a good trade for either but I agree...this "it doesn't work its been proven" argument is so stupid. Making a bad Gaudreau/Mony trade would be the dumbest possible thing to do especially when we don't even know if and when the season will be.

30 teams proved they couldn't win the cup this year...Oilers missed the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years...McDavid obviously doesn't work trade him for picks.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #144
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great signing for the team. Cant wait to see how he fits into the top 12
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:37 AM   #145
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe the team just needs to be less rigid in their deployments if nothing materializes on the trade front..

Mix around the norm a bit:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Simon
Robinson

Gio-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Kylington
Petrovic

#19 could be the power forward type the top line needs. Get him away from defensively focused matchups and see what he can bring to the top line.

Lindholm can help form a great shutdown line in place of Tkachuk as he is our best all around player and might even have some chemistry with Backlund, it looks like it on the PK.

Keep the playoff line together.

Ryan can center an intriguing new look 4th line.

Petrovic can eat popcorn and Robinson can wait for his opportunity. First call ups would be Gawdin, Phillips, Mackey, Yelesin.

Cap would be tight and we couldn’t have a full 23 man roster but if no trades happen I at least hope they try and mix things up a bit with the lines, whatever that may be.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #146
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Maybe the team just needs to be less rigid in their deployments if nothing materializes on the trade front..

Mix around the norm a bit:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Simon
Robinson

Gio-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Kylington
Petrovic

#19 could be the power forward type the top line needs. Get him away from defensively focused matchups and see what he can bring to the top line.

Lindholm can help form a great shutdown line in place of Tkachuk as he is our best all around player and might even have some chemistry with Backlund, it looks like it on the PK.

Keep the playoff line together.

Ryan can center an intriguing new look 4th line.

Petrovic can eat popcorn and Robinson can wait for his opportunity. First call ups would be Gawdin, Phillips, Mackey, Yelesin.

Cap would be tight and we couldn’t have a full 23 man roster but if no trades happen I at least hope they try and mix things up a bit with the lines, whatever that may be.
That roster is basically what the Flames can make the cap with

1,185,834 left to sign Kylington. If Mackey is as good as advertised and made the team as #6/7 d-man then there would only be 935,834 left for Kylington.

That certainly makes call ups difficult.

Are you able to put a player on LTIR when they are out for a game or two?

How much cap relief would they get by sending Ryan to the AHL? He sticks out like a sore thumb as a 3.3M 4C.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #147
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

Hope is not a strategy. Gaudreau and Monahan are not good enough. But we can always do the same thing we did with Iginla which is hold on too long and hope for different results I guess because they’ll “learn” (no they won’t).
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #148
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Hope is not a strategy. Gaudreau and Monahan are not good enough. But we can always do the same thing we did with Iginla which is hold on too long and hope for different results I guess because they’ll “learn” (no they won’t).
Just for the sake of context, Johnny Gaudreau is 27-years-old and Sean Monahan turned 26 last week. Iginla was 35 when he was finally traded to Pittsburgh and the Flames were a bottom-five team in tbe NHL.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #149
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We got a Nordstrom. We got a Simons.

Are there any Renfrews, Rosens, Saks or Bloomingdale's available to complete our haute couture line?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #150
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
That roster is basically what the Flames can make the cap with

1,185,834 left to sign Kylington. If Mackey is as good as advertised and made the team as #6/7 d-man then there would only be 935,834 left for Kylington.

That certainly makes call ups difficult.

How much cap relief would they get by sending Ryan to the AHL? He sticks out like a sore thumb as a 3.3M 4C.
There is literally no incentive to sending a large contract to the minors as the amount you save is essentially the same as the amount the guy you replace him with will be getting paid.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #151
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

FWIW nhl.com has Simon listed as #18. Nordstrom as #20. Maybe placeholders until they pick their numbers but we will see.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

Are there any Renfrews, Rosens, Saks or Bloomingdale's available to complete our haute couture line?
Does Randy Holt still have some skates? No - wait Alexander Holtz.

Lukas Wallmark for the cheaper crowd.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #153
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Screw those guys. I want a Fields!!
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #154
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

We're talking Treliving. Best case scenario is we get a SAAN and spend forever therein looking for our dress to the dance.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #155
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looked it up myself from Cap Friendly

Quote:
When a player has an injury of which they are expected to miss a minimum of 10 NHL games and 24 days in the NHL season, the team can place them on long term injured reserve (LTIR).
So if the Flames have 3 guys out for 5 games they would not be able to put them on LTIR and not be able to call anyone up as anyone would exceed the cap.

At that time they could play with a short roster or put the least valuable player on a 10 game LTIR so they recover fully.

It gets messy if a player like Tkachuk has to miss games due to concussion protocol and don't really know how many games he might miss. Usually he stays off LTIR until it becomes obvious he would be out for a while.

What would it take to dump Ryan's contract?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #156
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
You do know that the LT part of that stands for "Long Term", right?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 10-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #157
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
Screw those guys. I want a Fields!!
You, can have a Zellers
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #158
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping we'd go after Simon after I read the UFA/RFA lists around the league. And at that point, I presumed we were paying a lot more than league minimum for him.

I think this is just a smart bet. Guy who I think you can move up or down the lineup, which is great to have, especially in a compressed schedule where we're definitely going to see lots of injuries.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #159
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Just as a courtesy: I believe his last name is pronounced "See-moan", like he's French.

Not "Sigh-mun", i.e. the former Flames tough guy.
It is. Watch quite a few penguins games.

I like this signing real meat and potatoes guy. Did ALOT of heavy lifting on that Crosby line.

I like this offseason for once. Seems like a lot of hardhat guys getting signed.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote