Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2023, 11:31 PM   #9021
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
This basically sums up what I think of when I think of a "woke mob" - a bunch of largely inconsequential whining by simpletons. Meanwhile the videogame is massively popular and J.K. Rowling - the primary target of these dastardly buffoons - cries herself to sleep with her millions (billions?).

Their counterparts on the right have managed to stack the US Supreme Court and enact what amounts to minority rule in various places, but some people are obsessed with these ineffectual whiners for whatever reason.
It's possible to have disdain for both groups though. Hating what the twitter mobs do doesn't mean that you can't also hate what the right wing are doing. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Obviously they're at different levels of ####tiness but they're both still obnoxious twats.

It'd be like me arguing about drivers not signalling properly and someone coming along and saying "but drunk drivers are worse. I don't see you complaining about them" Different levels but still #######s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:38 AM   #9022
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
How about Tim Allen? No longer Buzz Lightyear and sitcom cancelled? Other than supporting Trump I don't think he's said anything ####ty. Not like JK Rowlings transphobic tweets or Armie Hammers rape fetishes.
Are you sure Allen did not get that role because of politics?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:18 AM   #9023
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
How about Tim Allen? No longer Buzz Lightyear and sitcom cancelled? Other than supporting Trump I don't think he's said anything ####ty. Not like JK Rowlings transphobic tweets or Armie Hammers rape fetishes.
Well the fact he has already indicated he's voicing Lightyear for Toy Story 5, I'm not sure how much of a "cancel" he had. Getting replaced for a completely different iteration of the character in an entire different product is like saying that Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen got cancelled too.

But then he should be cancelled. He should be in jail for life. But he ratted out his buddy coke dealers, still ended up with a DUI, made and defended racist remarks, showed his schlong to unexpecting women, dude is sort of case in point that cancel culture doesn't exist.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 05:27 AM   #9024
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlysports View Post
how about tim allen? No longer buzz lightyear and sitcom cancelled? Other than supporting trump i don't think he's said anything ####ty. Not like jk rowlings transphobic tweets or armie hammers rape fetishes.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1623479040295456768
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:41 AM   #9025
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Al Franken was the best the Democrats had in terms of an honest politician, and he was cancelled because he mimed groping a woman on a plane, as a throwback to his time as a comedian. I would say that he was cancelled to make room for a candidate who was/is more palatable to the establishment.
He chose to leave.

He could have road it out to the next election to see if he was primaried and if primaried would he have lost. He cancelled himself to avoid making the democrats look like hypocrits and likely establishment democrats didn’t seem to like him either. Do you know who didn’t cancel himself Brett Kavanaugh
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:03 AM   #9026
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So lets hear it, who has the left "cancelled" that wasn't just the case that reality caught up to ####ty people?
No, let's not hear it. Every time someone posts something like this, there's page after page of wasted posting explaining exactly why it's a simplistic take that entirely misses the point from myriad different angles, we get a bunch of sarcastic smarmy posts intentionally missing the point from the usual suspects who enjoy that sort of thing, the whole "debate" goes nowhere, and then three months later we have the same boring ####ing argument over again. It's not entertaining, it's not intellectually stimulating or challenging, no one has anything novel to say, so why should we do this dumb, pointless dance again for the hundredth time?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:46 AM   #9027
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No, let's not hear it. Every time someone posts something like this, there's page after page of wasted posting explaining exactly why it's a simplistic take that entirely misses the point from myriad different angles, we get a bunch of sarcastic smarmy posts intentionally missing the point from the usual suspects who enjoy that sort of thing, the whole "debate" goes nowhere, and then three months later we have the same boring ####ing argument over again. It's not entertaining, it's not intellectually stimulating or challenging, no one has anything novel to say, so why should we do this dumb, pointless dance again for the hundredth time?
If you eliminate the sarcastic smarmy posts, and the non intellectually stimulating or challenging posts we might as well all go home.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:51 AM   #9028
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
I might sound stupid here, but what am I missing with this tweet?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:54 AM   #9029
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are making more Toy Story movies with Tim Allen
Old 02-23-2023, 09:06 AM   #9030
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
This basically sums up what I think of when I think of a "woke mob" - a bunch of largely inconsequential whining by simpletons. Meanwhile the videogame is massively popular and J.K. Rowling - the primary target of these dastardly buffoons - cries herself to sleep with her millions (billions?).

Their counterparts on the right have managed to stack the US Supreme Court and enact what amounts to minority rule in various places, but some people are obsessed with these ineffectual whiners for whatever reason.
'Inconsequential' is not giving them enough credit, though 'ineffectual' gets a lot closer. Their pissing and moaning can have some consequences, but none of it actually does much good in actually addressing anything of meaning or importance to core issues on a subject.

Again, to use the Hogwarts Legacy example, targeting the video game and people who play it for JK Rowling's allegedly controversial opinions on gender / trans issues accomplishes sweet bugger all for actual trans rights issues, but man does it make those activists look like assh-les who have nothing better to do. The Twitter "woke mob" turns off people who might otherwise side with them on an issue because they focus on meaningless sh-t and harass people for the tiniest of perceived transgressions. Then reasonable people get annoyed because "Ah, these f-cking people again, this is why we can't have nice things".

The phenomenon of the "woke mob", as I understand it, is just giving a name to a group of people engaging in performative slacktivism.

The "I wish we lived in a theocracy" right-wing is a major problem that needs to be addressed, but I think for the most part that's assumed. The left-wing "woke mob" is just f-cking annoying. Cancer is a major problem, mosquitos are f-cking annoying, but it sure seems like when the mosquitos come out, there's a lot of f-ckin' mosquitos around and people remark on it.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-23-2023 at 09:11 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #9031
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently "woke" just means inclusive now:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ne...e-legged-legos
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #9032
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love the only examples of "successful" cancellations are from hardcore video game / children's books fans with literally nothing better to do.

I doubt the average person knows any of these things, much less gives a flying frack.

Also, i am pretty sure Hogwarts game is doing pretty well, despite the "mob"; and this probably wouldnt have been a thing if JK Rowling didnt double down on the trans stuff after getting some push back
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:11 AM   #9033
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell me you missed the point without telling me you missed the point.

You're gonna give Nostradamus over here an ego complex.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:51 AM   #9034
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's true though. How is a bunch of losers on social media whining about a video game any different than something like fundamentalist Christians protesting heavy metal concerts in the '80s? I don't think anyone would argue that metal bands were "cancelled" by a mob. The people who enjoyed it still enjoyed it, and the whiners were basically inconsequential and just made themselves look like idiots.

The only real examples of people/things getting cancelled due to something they say or do are when the fans or people who buy the product react negatively. And that has always happened, which is why anyone with good PR has always stayed away from issues that are controversial with their fans/customers.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 10:54 AM   #9035
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
'Inconsequential' is not giving them enough credit, though 'ineffectual' gets a lot closer. Their pissing and moaning can have some consequences, but none of it actually does much good in actually addressing anything of meaning or importance to core issues on a subject.

Again, to use the Hogwarts Legacy example, targeting the video game and people who play it for JK Rowling's allegedly controversial opinions on gender / trans issues accomplishes sweet bugger all for actual trans rights issues, but man does it make those activists look like assh-les who have nothing better to do. The Twitter "woke mob" turns off people who might otherwise side with them on an issue because they focus on meaningless sh-t and harass people for the tiniest of perceived transgressions. Then reasonable people get annoyed because "Ah, these f-cking people again, this is why we can't have nice things".

The phenomenon of the "woke mob", as I understand it, is just giving a name to a group of people engaging in performative slacktivism.

The "I wish we lived in a theocracy" right-wing is a major problem that needs to be addressed, but I think for the most part that's assumed. The left-wing "woke mob" is just f-cking annoying. Cancer is a major problem, mosquitos are f-cking annoying, but it sure seems like when the mosquitos come out, there's a lot of f-ckin' mosquitos around and people remark on it.
I basically agree with everything you said, but don't underestimate the mosquito! It's the world's most dangerous non-human animal. The World Heath Organization estimates that mosquitos are responsible for 725,000 human deaths a year. By comparison, sharks only killed 9 people in 2022!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 11:00 AM   #9036
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I love the only examples of "successful" cancellations are from hardcore video game / children's books fans with literally nothing better to do.

I doubt the average person knows any of these things, much less gives a flying frack.

Also, i am pretty sure Hogwarts game is doing pretty well, despite the "mob"; and this probably wouldnt have been a thing if JK Rowling didnt double down on the trans stuff after getting some push back
There's also a group upset the game has racial diversity and something about women. They are raging about historical accuracy.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #9037
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's small-time content creators that get smashed by the reckless application of, uh, accountability culture. Small creators depend on their connection to things like social media, patreon-style companies and other tech platforms just to stay afloat. People at those companies will drop a small creator like a hot potato if they become overwhelmed by the out-lash from progressives on social media for even a moment. This can all happen within an hour and the creator has no recourse and are lucky if they can even start again from scratch.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #9038
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Is there any evidence of that happening anywhere ever? Honestly, this sounds like a made up problem. How do these people even make it on anyone's radar to experience this "backlash"?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #9039
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I might sound stupid here, but what am I missing with this tweet?

GirlySports believes everything he reads on facebook sent from his aunt, and Disney is indeed making more Toy Story movies with Tim Allen.
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:13 PM   #9040
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
GirlySports believes everything he reads on facebook sent from his aunt, and Disney is indeed making more Toy Story movies with Tim Allen.
If I understand the penalty for misgendering, someone's a'getting motherf-ckin' cancelled up in this thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: